Search results

1. S

I don't like the new lens designs

Isn't this just the norm? Technology developing more and more, and things becoming more and more perfect and losing the flaws that gave them character? Which is why handmade clothing is still valuable and so much more expensive, old hand-ground lenses ground are desired by filmmakers over modern...
  2. S

Fort Lauderdale photo advice

I shall be in Fort Lauderdale, pretty close to the beach for a couple of nights. Any advice re shooting opportunities will be greatly welcome. So far, I have the following in my list: 1. The fishing pier: Long exposure, sunrise, sunset 2. Some windsurfing probably I am planning to carry a...
  3. S

Solar eclipse diamond ring

Great shots, everyone! It was a very civil and pleasurable viewing in Oregon.
  4. S

Solar eclipse diamond ring

Should have reduced the exposure, but was too busy looking at the view :)
  5. S

No Canon here

The reason doesn't necessarily have to be the same. The similarity is in a type of bias (unrepresentative samples) which makes certain surveys poor predictors of an activity. It could be because Canon users are under-represented in the DPR readership, or because Canon users choose to go out...
  6. S

Third party ring for Lee Filter Foundation kit

Another +1 for Filter dude. Very good and inexpensive stuff.
  7. S

Film is still hard to beat

100 rolls, or 3600 shots. For a professional, probably 5 weddings (or less)? So, a 5D3 pays for itself pretty quickly. Maybe you should argue about other advantages of film?
  8. S

Canon 24mm EF-s Pancake: weather sealed "tank version" by Global Dynamics United

I must be missing something- why would I want to pay more than twice to make a $ 150 lens mil-spec and then use it on a far more fragile and merely water-resistant 7DII at best? And the inset and not-screwed in filter means that if it breaks- it's back to the GDU factory!
  9. S

35L II and New EF-M zoom coming on 8/14?

Probably not worth going the USM route for Eos M, given that any advantage of a faster motor will be far outweighed by a slower AF detection system... Agreed. I do use it for shallow DoF environmental portraiture, but I doubt that situation will present itself too frequently in the midst of a...
  10. S

Which 14mm should I use?

http://stormandsky.com/lens14mm I bought the Rokinon and couldn't be happier. The extra cash went to fund my 17 TS-E.
  11. S

Cokin Introduces NUANCES Filters

Well, to be fair- none of the existing ND10 filters are without color cast. So if Cokin really pulls it off, it'll be worth advertising. Having said that, it's really easy to get color cast off a Lee or a B+W.
  12. S

SIGMA Announces the 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art

Call me when they release a 35-85mm f/2. For me this range is perfect for portraiture and with the wide f/2 aperture to give some decent background blur... Just pair it with a 135L or 200 f/2 L and you're good to go. They state it in their literature. They are trying to create one lens that...
  13. S

More Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II Talk [CR2]

With all the talk about the mark II, and the exceptional 24-70 II in my arsenal, I was almost tempted to put my 35/1.4 on Craigslist. However, last week I visited the Portland Rose festival and the amazing portraits I was able to get at f/1.4-1.6 made me change my mind. I don't know what I will...
  14. S

Looking for some studio lights

Looks like the whole thing is quite inexpensive so I wouldn't think about it too much. (this store sells it used for $ 299 http://columbuscameragroup.com/page/3/) I am sure it will be a while until you run out of things you can do with it and look to upgrade. Congrats on getting to build a...
  15. S

Lowepro Rover 45L AW

I think the Lowepro harness is ill-equipped for very heavy loads. It has an excess of padding but not enough rigidity- that just adds bulk and weight without transferring the weight to better load-bearing points. I guarantee that if you fill up your AW 450 the way it is photographed on your...
  16. S

And yet again...great talent trumps any amount of equipment

Isn't the whole point of using "period!" to represent "finality"? I suggest the use of "semi-periods" :P The point of whether photography involves getting the finished product out of the camera is moot (and I sort of agree, heavy post processing isn't 'technically' photography but more...
  17. S

Lowepro Rover 45L AW

Taking stuff in and out is very inconvenient due to the way the inserts open. F stop has a much better system.
  18. S

Diffuser for Canon 600ex for event

+1 for Rogue plus diffuser. They are often on sale, BTW.
  19. S

Looking for studio lighting for $500

Wouldn't you recommend the 8.5", the 18" HOR etc. as small modifiers with the Einstein? Just got my first and still trying to decide what to get from PCB.
  20. S

24-70mm 2.8L Mk.I vs 24-70mm 2.8L Mk.II

Why does a 70mm/2.8 lens need a deeper hood than a 24mm/2.8 lens? I've always wondered if the deeper hoods of telephoto lenses is there because you can design them without vignetting or because there is a greater need for the additional depth. I'd be very interested in a scientific explanation...