Search results

1. S

Fort Lauderdale photo advice

I shall be in Fort Lauderdale, pretty close to the beach for a couple of nights. Any advice re shooting opportunities will be greatly welcome. So far, I have the following in my list: 1. The fishing pier: Long exposure, sunrise, sunset 2. Some windsurfing probably I am planning to carry a...
  2. S

Pocketwizard/600EX-RT question

Hi all I was wondering if anyone with relevant experience/gear can answer the following questions and help me out. The key question is, does the the 600EX-RT function as a radio master at all if it is not physically on the camera hot shoe? If yes, then what happens in the following situations...
  3. S

Off camera cord- how to connect it to cold shoes?

Hi all I am assuming at least some of you use the newer cold shoes that don't screw on but allow the flip-lock system a la Canon to both tighten down on metal rails as well as push the locking pin in (e.g., Nisha is the brand I have, linked below- but Frio will have the same problem)...
  4. S

Lighting modifier recommendations- softboxes, umbrellas, shape, size?

Dear all I need some guidance on deciding on light modifiers, and will greatly appreciate your help. Here is the situation: 1. I don't have a dedicated studio, and hope to work partly in my apartment, partly in subjects' houses and locations, and plan to shoot portraits and real...
  5. S

Lighting setup for studio portraits

I have three 600EX-RTs, and I recently received a Wafer 100 softbox for free from a very generous CR member. He included a Speedotron adapter. Now I am trying to decide whether I should get a Speedlite adapter (Bower + L bracket thingy) and use one Speedlite in it, or should I either get a...
  6. S

FYI: D750 light leak issues

I suppose this happens to all manufacturers nowadays. (to summarize, there is a light leak when shooting into backlit scenes using live view) http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1331716/0
  7. S

Perils of being married to a M.I.L.C. (Man In Love with Cameras)

This article made me wonder how our spouses feel being married to men with photography-related G.A.S. Change the cycling stuff to photographic gear, and disregard the middle age part (for now), and you've got me. :-\...
  8. S

6D accessory question

Finally got the 6D, thanks to B&H's awesome offer. However, I wish I had gone with Adorama, if only for the appalling service from UPS in my neighborhood (I believe Adorama uses FedEx). So they delivered the printer (which is already sold ;D ) but not the 6D, which was in the truck all that...
  9. S

Anyone got their 7DII + 24-70 f4 IS shipped yet?

Hi all So I ordered the 7DII + 24-70 f/4 IS bundle from Henry's on September 17, taking advantage of the bundle offer by Canon Canada. It seems that they are experiencing stock shortages, and my stuff are yet to be shipped, with no estimated date of shipping. Just to get an idea of the shortage...
  10. S

Need air show advice- Wings over Houston

Hi all I shall be attending the Wings over Houston airshow next Sunday. I shall be taking my 5DIII, 5Dc, 24-70II, 70-200II and both TCs. I wish I received the 7DII before that, but I doubt that will happen. In any case, gear is pretty much decided- I shall just take what I have. And I decided to...
  11. S

Today only- Discounted price on Canon refurb flashes and some cheaper lenses

Thanks to CanonPriceWatch, I was about to spend another $ 373 on a 600EX-RT when I stopped at the last moment. But it is a great price for the flash. Use the code TEDDYRFD. Shipping is free. I understand some low-end lenses are also included, but don't know which ones.
  12. S

Inexpensive standard walk around lens question

Often I don't want to carry the expensive 24-70II with me and pick an inexpensive lens. The use is generally street photography, or a gathering of friends, or a short trip. For the past few months it had been the 40mm which was perfectly fine if somewhat limited. It only replicates one FL of...
  13. S

EOS M Accessory question

Just got the EOS M + 22mm. Like it and will keep it for the long term, so now need to think about accessories. 1. The Canon EF-EF-M adapter: I think of the M as a compact camera to carry everywhere, so I don't know how useful it will be to have the EF adapter and give up the whole compactness...
  14. S

Flaws on the rear element

Hi all I just purchased an EF 100mm Macro USM (non-L) from a member on FredMiranda. The lens has very tiny pin-point flaws on both the front and rear elements, visible when a flashlight is pointed at them. They don't look like scratches, they are too small and superficial to be scratches- and...
  15. S

Which gels to get and how many

Hi all I am looking for gels for my 600s. Which color gels should I get, covering most if not all cases of color correction? Which color gels should I get, for most common/popular color effects? How many of each should I get, to cover for burnouts and tears, etc. Thanks! Back story: I have...
  16. S

AF point illumination revisited- 6D AF point question

Just returned from a trip where I had taken the 5DII and the 5Dc. In the 7 days, had sort of gotten used to the AF point illumination of the 2 cameras. Came back to my 5DIII, and the lack of AF illumination was a nasty reminder of the issue. I truly wish Canon could somehow fix this issue... :(...
  17. S

Anyone knows where I can get attachment straps?

Similar to the F stopper gatekeepers. Doesn't need to be that fancy. My Lowepro backpack has lugs for them and I need something here badly. Unfortunately Lowepro doesn't sell them separately- only one came with the bag. Anyone? Thanks...
  18. S

Trip advice needed: Niagara, New York City and Boston

Hi all I shall be visiting the aforementioned places in the first week of July, so any suggestions regarding gear to take, locations to shoot, and precautions/tips will be greatly appreciated. I shall be taking one camera and 2-3 lenses, but I am completely open to suggestions on what to take...
  19. S

Need help finding a backpack

Hi all I am looking for a backpack with the features below: 1. About 24-30 liters capacity. Vertically deep enough to hold the 135L/pro body. 2. Will be quite ergonomic- a rigid frame will be great. 3. Primary use will be carrying through airports on my back- doesn't need to hold...
  20. S

Rant about 5DIII (and my oversight)

Never thought I'd be writing this, but I want to write it and get it out of my system so I don't have any more ill-feeling left about this little guy: 1. Truly surprised about the difference between 8fps and 6fps. I was shooting a commencement ceremony and trying to get the 'toss the...