Search results

1. J

Weather-sealing: what has real-life R5 experience been?

I'm a photojournalist and have to shoot in rain, dust, and hostile environments. What has real-life experience been with the R5 and either with dedicated R lenses (like 24-70, 70-200, or 50?) or with legacy EF glass and autofocus adapter? Any comparisons with Sony? Thoughts re possibilities in...
  2. J

GPS on 5D4 --need a bit of advice?

Greetings -- With some struggles, I have managed to get GPS working on my 5D4 ... But ... not invariably. My usual workflow is to shoot, then transfer GPS logger to my card (usually SD, in #2 slot) and load onto my computer. I open in Photo Mechanic, do my rapid cull, and then import to LR...
  3. J

R5 Lens question

Any idea whether Canon will make an adapter so that the R5 can use the big whites -- the L lenses that many of us have accumulated over the years?
  4. J

5D4 Card-Folder Selection question.

Colleagues: I'm a photojournalist. I shoot with 2 5D4s, and always use both CF and SD cards. I always choose "record to both" cards, because I am more interested in duplicate images for backup than I am in running out of space. My question is: Can I somehow "lock" my selection of "Card-Folder...
  5. J

New 5D4 Memo recording firmware -- usable for multiple cards?

Colleagues -- I was very happy to see the 5D4 firmware upgrade to allow voice memo recordings on my 5D4. (I'm a photojournalist.) I had CPS install this at once. My question is: can this be made to record the WAV file to BOTH cards, or only one? My default setting on my 5D4 bodies are to...
  6. J

Cover glass for 5D4 touch-screen?

Dear Friends: I sometimes bang around my gear a bit harder than I would like, and it has been my custom always to keep a high-quality multilayer cover-glass affixed to the rear LCD -- a cover-glass of the Giotto or Vello sort, though not always those brands. This has worked out extremely well...
  7. J

Error 70 Message

Colleagues: My well-used but very well cared-for 5D Mark 3 just spouted an 'error message 70.' I have done everything can think of: cleaned contacts, changed lenses, changed battery, cards, turned off/on several times. Short of sending to CPS (I'm gold) does anyone have insight into this? I...
  8. J

5D4 vs 1Dx -Body durability and related questions

Dear Colleagues: I am considering the 5D4 (I have 1Dx and 5D3 and very happy with both). I do stills almost exclusively; video is less important to me. I shoot in very unfriendly environments; outdoors a lot, dust, smoke, dirt, etc. Low light is important, but 14 FPS is probably less so. My...
  9. J

Woe and Pathos in the Sigma 50 Art?

(Please excuse any unintentional etiquette errors: I posted this in another topic link and I shall remove that one.) Colleagues: I bought a Sigma 50 Art. I am not at all happy with the focus: it is gorgeously, excruciatingly sharp ... about 1/3 of the time. My standards for "sharp" are pretty...
  10. J

Rubber covering loose on zoom of 24-70 II - advice?

Colleagues: The rubber grip or cover that fits on the zoom ring on my 24-70 II has come loose and become very slightly stretched out. At this point it is a minor annoyance, not a disaster, though I am going overseas next week and don't like surprises. Any suggestions for managing this problem...
  11. J

Sigma 35 mm ART lens -- any autofocus issues?

The autofocus issues with the new 50 mm Sigma ART are very dismaying, in light of its great build quality and image quality. Has anyone had autofocus issues (or any other such issues) with the 35 mm Sigma ART? I use the 5D3 and 1Dx. Thoughts and advice deeply appreciated. Please pardon my...
  12. J

Need advice re. video tutorials on 600 Speedlight usage

Comrades - I always refer to the sun as my light source. But now I am looking for a source of video tutorials on use of speedlights, from soup to nuts -- starting with the absolute basics of 'how to turn this on', through correct flash exposing in various venues and fill situations, up to use of...
  13. J

5D Mark III USA/Canon-recognized warranties?

Colleagues: I see the 5DIII intermittently sold by B&H, Adorama, or BuyDig for about $2900. Does anyone know whether a) these have fully-kosher Canon warranties that are recognized by CPSUSA; or b) whether these occasional sales may be available after the xmas buying season? Your thoughts...
  14. J

Spontaneous Separation of 5D3 from 70-200 II??

Colleagues: A strange and unpleasant event befell me. I had my 70-200 II on my 5D3, with a BR strap attached to the tripod-collar, so the camera body was not weight-bearing. Abruptly and with no warning the camera fell off and hit the ground. Minor damage, coulda been a lot worse. I can think...
  15. J

Two focusing squares suddenly seen in 5D Mk III screen -- advice needed

Colleagues: I was in the middle of a shoot last night: simple circumstances, no trauma to camera, just a simple, not very physical event. Shooting 5DMkIII and my 70-200 II, on autofocus, not manual. Used this lens/camera setup a zillion times. I use "1/2 press shutter" focusing; I do not use...
  16. J

Base Plates for 5D3, 1DX -- seeking advice?

Colleagues: I am accustomed to keeping a steel base plate on my gear (example: the Really Right Stuff plate for the 5D2), both for protection and also because I can vigorously screw in my Black Rapid attachment. I don't mind the extra weight. I seek advice re. options for protective base plates...
  17. J

Color Differences, 5D3 vs 1D4

Colleagues: I shoot 5D3 and 1D4. I am a pretty experienced shooter. Recently on a mildly cloudy day I shot several hundred photos with each, under very very similar conditions (photos made from a boat on a lake of other boats on the same lake.) The general hue was mildly greener and muddier in...
  18. J

Request advice on weather-sealed 35 mm lenses

Colleagues: I would request your advice on a 35 mm prime for Canon . I shoot 5DMkIII's and 1D Mark IV in challenging outdoor environments--dust, rain, sand--but am also a bug on sharp and contrasty lenses. Your thoughts on Canon's 35 L 1.4 vs. Sigma's 35 1.4? Thank you for your time.