Search results

1. MrFotoFool

R3 in Cold Weather

I am comparing the specs on Canon R3 and Nikon Z9 on B&H. Under temperature performance (in Farenheit), the Nikon is rated down to 14 degrees but the Canon is only rated to 32 degrees (freezing). Surely this can't be right, that a gripped pro body will not work below freezing? Has anyone used an...
  2. MrFotoFool

Free Canon rental day in Tucson, Arizona

Tempe Camera and Canon are joining up to offer free one hour rentals of Canon gear in Tucson, Arizona. Event will take place October 24 (2021) from 8:30am to 1pm at the fantastic Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. For more information call Tempe Camera. (edit - though the rentals are free you will...
  3. MrFotoFool

Posting on Facebook as my business page

For those of you who have a photography business page on Facebook (aside from a personal page), is there still a way to reply to posts as your business? I used to be able to do it but lately I can only reply as myself, not as my photography business. I am talking about replying to posts on other...
  4. MrFotoFool

No discount for buying R5 kit?

The R5 can be purchased on its own or as a kit with RF 24-105 f4L. Normally when a body and lens are bundled as a kit it is cheaper than buying them separately. But in this case it actually costs a dollar MORE for the kit than if they are purchased separately! What's the deal? Can't they at...
  5. MrFotoFool

Matt Granger dumps Nikon

Posted today on YouTube: Matt Granger (formerly known as That Nikon Guy) is selling his Nikon Gear. The main reason, if I hear correctly, is substandard video performance. Interestingly he doesn't know yet which system he is switching to. (For the record I switched TO Nikon F from Canon EOS...
  6. MrFotoFool

Beware Palm Springs Photo Festival

This post is a general warning for all readers to stay away from Palm Springs Photo Festival. It is supposedly rescheduled (due to Covid-19) for September 2020 (from original May date) and now supposedly changed from in-person to online. Since I am not interested in this I have been trying to...
  7. MrFotoFool

My Experience: From Canon 5D4 to Nikon D850

INTRODUCTION (Note – I am posting this both on NikonRumors and CanonRumors). Two months ago I switched to Nikon after two decades with Canon. This is my experience going from Canon 5D4 (and 5D3, 5D2) to Nikon D850. This review relates to these models only. RESOLUTION With Nikon you get massive...
  8. MrFotoFool

Nikon 600PF coming soon?

NikonRumors is reporting that a 600mm PF lens may be announced this summer. Of course the reportedly stellar 500 PF that came out late last year has been unavailable for months. https://nikonrumors.com/2019/05/28/nikon-nikkor-600mm-f-5-6-pf-lens-rumors-coming-this-summer.aspx/
  9. MrFotoFool

Nikon Camera Rebates

According to NikonRumors, the following rebates will go into effect on April 28,2019: Nikon Z6 $200 off Nikon Z7 $600 off Nikon D850 $300 off (The last one has me intrigued because I have been obsessed with the D850 ever since it came out. I am also very interested in the 500 f5.6 PF for which...
  10. MrFotoFool

My Review: Sigma vs Heliopan Polarizers

A few years ago I bought a Sigma circular polarizer based on an online review that tested many polarizers at the time. It was around fifty bucks as I recall. Last year I decided to buy a pricey Heliopan since I assumed it would perform better with my L series lenses. It was around two hundred...
  11. MrFotoFool

24-70 f4 hood discontinued?

On a recent trip I discovered the lock button on my EW-83L lens hood (for 24-70 f4L IS) is broken. The hood still fits on the lens, but it does not lock in place. If I am not careful it will slide off kilter and create a vignette. So just now I went to the Canon USA website to order a...
  12. MrFotoFool

Jared Polin rates Canon as best 70-200

This video from Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto) implies that he thinks Canon's new 70-200 f2.8L iii (which I own) is the best of all brands. He is a Nikon shooter but still thinks this is better than the Nikon which costs 700 more or the Sony which costs 500 more.
  13. MrFotoFool

Add "lens" gallery for teleconverters?

The lens galleries are divided into Canon fixed lens, Canon Zoom lens, and the same for third party. I was thinking it would be nice to have a new tab added for teleconverters (aka extenders). Since there are so few I don't think we need full tabs for Canon and third party (like the lens...
  14. MrFotoFool

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM

Time to start a new thread for version 3 of this classic lens. I will start out with a recent shot from Hayden Valley in Yellowstone National Park. 160mm at f/8 hand-held on a 5D4. Unadjusted JPEG (except for downsizing and watermark).
  15. MrFotoFool

My first test of 70-200 2.8 IS iii

I traded in my non-IS 70-200 2.8L (which I loved) for the new 70-200 2.8L IS iii. I did my first tests this afternoon, taken at the worst time of day for photography, but it was all I had to work with. I went out to Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, which is a hybrid zoo/garden/museum. As most of...
  16. MrFotoFool

Nikon Fresnel Telephoto Lenses

Canon started the use of Fresnel designs (to make telephotos smaller and lighter) with what they call Diffractive Optics (DO). First the 70-300 f4-5.6 DO then the 400 f4 DO (better received) and last the 400 f4 DOii (highly regarded). But they appear to have stopped. Nikon started where Canon...
  17. MrFotoFool

Show us your Photo Blog

How many CR members write a photo blog? One member has been linking some nice travel blogs in the Travel forum. I also write a travel blog, a humorous look at my photo trips. I only do one every few months so I don't inundate people. I have two so far, which you will find by scrolling to the...
  18. MrFotoFool

Advice 16-35 f2.8 version 2(not 3) vs 16-35 f4 IS

Several months ago I picked up a used copy of the 17-40 f4L, my first ultra wide lens. It is fine but corner sharpness is bad, which I somewhat expected. I will likely replace with a 16-35L. I cannot afford the new version 3 of the 16-35 f2.8 (as stellar as it reportedly is). I will have to...
  19. MrFotoFool

Happy New Year 2018

I wasn't sure which gallery to put this in, but HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all. Let's make great photos in 2018! (Pictured is one of several favorites from 2017; feel free to post a favorite of yours from the year just ended).
  20. MrFotoFool

Zoo Pics 4

Thread 3 is now eleven pages long, so I am starting a new thread 4. This is for photos taken in any captive facility. It could be a traditional zoo or a wildlife park or an aquarium or a living museum or similar. Animals are the obvious subjects, but if you get a nice shot of a zoo building or...