Search results

1. V8Beast

For Queen and country! Congrats to Lewis Hamilton!

What a weekend. The weather was beyond atrocious, but it was a small price to pay to witness history in the making. Gotta get some rest now, but I will post up the rest of the images from this weekend soon. What a privilege it was to capture the moment. Congrats to three-time World Champion...
  2. V8Beast

What do/don't you like about the 5Ds?

Two points to make up front: 1) I love my 5D3 despite it's "limited" DR :) 2) I'm fully aware that the 5Ds doesn't replace the 5D3, but merely complements the 5D line. Thanks goodness :) So here's my list of 5Ds likes and dislikes: Like: - Canon users awaiting a high-megapixel body finally...
  3. V8Beast

Pentax 645Z: Why no DXO test yet?

Anyone else find it peculiar that DXO has yet to test the Pentax 645Z? According to photogs that own both the D810/D800 and the 645Z, the Pentax absolutely blows the 36 megapixel Exmor into the weeds in terms of DR, ISO, and tonal range. This seems to support the Canon conspiracy theorist claims...
  4. V8Beast

Landscape paradise: Colorado vs. Pacific Northwest

Simple question: What's the more scenic destination, Colorado or the Pacific Northwest? I need proof ;D I ask for selfish reasons, as I'm debating on where to take take the family on vacation this spring or summer.
  5. V8Beast

Profoto B1 vs. Phottix Indra

Does anyone here own a set of Profoto B1 lights? How do you like them? How well does the built-in diffuser work? How long does the battery last? I'm debating between the B1s and the Phottix Indras. The players...
  6. V8Beast

USGP 2014!

Damn I love F1 ;D How come it can only come to town once a year? These are from Saturday's practice and qualifying. I need me some more reach, so I'm keenly awaiting the new 100-400L :D
  7. V8Beast

Bottleneck when opening images of CF card?

I'm planning out my next custom PC build, and want to narrow down potential bottlenecks. More specifically, when reading images directly off the CF card using a card reader, I'd like them to open up as quickly as possible. I'd imagine that this is determined by the read speed of the CF card...
  8. V8Beast

5D3 LCD brightness: Auto or manual?

Greetings fellow 5D3 users. What are you impressions of the auto LCD brightness function? Can it effectively compensate for large changes in ambient light, or is it gimmicky feature? For the past year, I've been trying to figure out the characteristics of the light meter, so I've left the LCD...
  9. V8Beast

Phottix Odins, monolights, and HSS

Maybe I'm on crack, but I thought people have successfully used the Odins to high-speed sync monolights? I tried HSS with the Alien Bees today but no workie :( Am I doing something wrong? The way I understand it, in HSS mode the Odins are supposed to trigger the monolights to fire right before...
  10. V8Beast

Phottix Odin: Inaccuate high-ISO metering problem

I've been proudly pimpin' my ancient 550EXs for quite some time now, and decided to step up from infrared to a set of Phottix Odins. With my 5D3 in Av mode, I've noticed that the flash exposure is pretty accurate and consistent up to ISO 400, but drop off a table after that. From ISO 800 and up...
  11. V8Beast

Video card advice, please!

The good: I just picked up a Dell U2711 monitor. The bad: It's a 2560x1440 monitor, but my antiquated video card only supports 1920x1080. I suppose I should come out of the closet as a PC guy ;D That said, what video card would you fine folks recommend? Even after calibrating the monitor with...
  12. V8Beast

Why are one of my 90 mb/s CF cards twice as fast as my other 90 mb/s card?

Weird issue, which is more of a pleasant surprise. I ordered up one of these with my 5D3 a few months back, and it lets me fire off 13 frames in RAW before the buffer fills up and slows the camera down...
  13. V8Beast

Follow-up poll: If you're not buying a 5D3 due to price....

This isn't meant to be an poll where the full-frame elitists and APS-C users stricken with an inferiority complex to duke it out. Whether someone is a hobbyists or pro is entirely irrelevant to this poll as well. It just seems like people either really love their 5D3, or are calling bloody...
  14. V8Beast

Some high ISO 5D3 samples from last weekend

This is the hardest I've had to push the ISO on the 5D3 so far, and I'm pleasantly impressed. This isn't meant to inspire pixel peeping (sorry, no 100% crops :) ), but rather to show what's possible with clean ISO 3200-6400 images. I know that's not that high by today's standards, but suffice it...
  15. V8Beast

How are dynamic range and sensor size related?

First off, let's not turn this into a D800 vs. 5D3, or Canon vs. Nikon debate :) Instead, the I have a very simple question regarding dynamic range, since it's such a hot topic lately. More specifically, lots of people say they prefer shooting full-frame because of the improved dynamic range...
  16. V8Beast

Let's see some great shots taken with old, cheap gear!

In light of all the doom-and-gloom regarding the POS known as the 5DIII, let's try to lighten the mood, shall we :)? Since some people seem convinced that it's impossible to create art with only 11.7 stops of DR, and the 5DIII's pathetic hardware specs are limiting their creative execution, I...
  17. V8Beast

If the 1Dx shows a substantial improvment in sensor technology....

.....will that change people's anti-Canon sentiment? When I'm out shooting with my 5DIII, I marvel at its vastly improved AF, burst rate, handling, user interface, LCD screen, responsiveness, and low light performance far more often than I lament about its DR, which is more than sufficient for...
  18. V8Beast

Great tutorials on 5DIII and 1Dx AF system

Canon's own Rudy Winston has posted some very helpful tutorials on how to maximize the AF systems found on the 5DIII and 1Dx. I found them much more helpful than the instruction manual, and wish I had read them before taking the 5DIII on my first shoot. There's a great explanation of cross-point...
  19. V8Beast

Tripod collar for 70-300L: Does it really exist?

I've been on the B&H waiting list for a year now for this little doohickey. Since then, I've taken delivery of a camera (5DIII) that was 8 months shy of being announced. Does anyone actually have a tripod collar for a 70-300L, or am I looking for a unicorn :)? It looks like Canon will start...
  20. V8Beast

My first real shoot with the 5DIII

First the results: Now some commentary. This car wasn't running right, so I didn't get to put the AF system through the ringer, but overall I like the camera. That said, I do have some concerns with, of all things, the light meter. I don't have a 5DII, so I can only compare it to...