Search results

1. H

Sky’s the limit: Luminar 4 introduces the first automatic Sky Replacement technology

This looks good for people that can make use of it. I'd expect the main users to be people creating 'digital art' but it'd also see a lot of use from regular joes who want to replace a blown out sky with something more natural, that sort of thing. As for the 'photography is ending' comments...
  2. H

Teardown: Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III

Would be an obvious sideline - repair other peoples' stuff and rent them lenses while they're in for repair. Given that they've already got the trained staff it'd be easy to start, as long as they limited the lenses they repaired to ones they stocked.
  3. H

Kickstarter: New Startup Launches World’s First Titanium Tripod & Ballhead

Thanks for the input - nice to have some data to back up my gut feelings about it. Would be interesting to hear about the projects you've backed an how they've turned out (or not). It seems great for those niche products that otherwise wouldn't get funding due to the lack of potential...
  4. H

It’s finally happening, the PowerShot SX70 HS is next to be announced

Cripes, the "I don't need this so no one else does either" brigade are out in force for this one. If anyone is struggling to comprehend why someone would buy a camera like the SX60 please search for Nikon P1000 :-) :-)
  5. H

A hypothesis concerning the RF mount

Someone came up with an idea, and someone else a graphic to illustrate it, of EF fitting normally and RF lenses having the rear element/s protruding into the camera body. This way you retain 100% adaptor-less compatibility with EF lenses and RF lenses can still benefit from getting closer to...
  6. H

Is the new Canon full frame mirrorless called the EOS R?

I'll try my best to answer. Nikon had their Df but that was a video-capable camera that just had a missing record button - not what you're after. What you're really asking for is a new, stills-dedicated sensor. It'll be insanely expensive compared to current cameras as they currently take...
  7. H

Patent: Full frame f/2 zoom, possibly for mirrorless?

This is likely just a technical demonstration to illustrate the floating focus mechanism, perhaps chosen because it shows a large size-reduction in the lens i.e. they've chosen a focal range and aperture that most clearly shows the size-reduction benefits of floating focus. Then again, why make...
  8. H

Industry News: Nikon officially announces the Z6 and Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

Oooh, good replies to this thread - we've had the 'I might switch and if I do Canon will be in big trouble' and here we've got the 'this immature technology offers little advantage to me, why does it exist?': There's no need to move to mirrorless. Plenty of people will find mirrorless cameras...
  9. H

Industry News: Nikon officially announces the Z6 and Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

Quick Canon, you're about to go under because one customer, who's already bought a heap of lenses from you, is about to leave! Seriously though, what are the benefits to your photography of switching? There're a couple of respondents in this thread who couldn't see the benefit, for them, of...
  10. H

Review: Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG ART HSM

No comments? Oh well, guess I'm first then. The review noted much improved autofocus performance in the last three Sigma lenses the author had reviewed. Any speculation as to whether Sigma has been given official access to Canon's AF algorithms and what, if anything, would be in it for...
  11. H

Canon Patent Application: Long eye relief optics for EVF

This is great for people with astigmatism and, in my case, both astigmatism and peculiarly deep-set and close-together eyes :-/
  12. H

Industry News: Nikon Teases Their Full Frame Mirrorless Camera & New Mount

The glowing ring appears to be the outermost edge of the metal flange that sits flush with the body and not the inner edge - you can see the bayonet of the lens has a much smaller diameter i.e. the glowing ring is much larger than the hole for the lens.
  13. H

Criticism please.

Disclaimer: I'm crap at photography. If experienced photographers take issue with any of this please do feel free to step in. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is some of the portraits are taken at quite short focal lengths, e.g...
  14. H

battery condition red on Genuine Canon LP-E6

Old & well used lithium batteries will put out the required voltage when they have plenty of charge but, when the get to lower levels of charge (ball park figure of 15% and lower) the voltage drops. This leads to (for a personal example I've had - a lot) my old phone powering down unexpectedly...
  15. H

Any mirror lenses autofocus for Canon?

I'm curious - could you tell me more about your experiences with the 500 f8? I've always assumed they were total crap by modern standards but never wanted to spend the money to find out just how bad :-)
  16. H

A Little Bit More About the New 70-200mm Lenses That Are Coming [CR1]

Heh, using words like retarded? ??? Plenty of spots at Silverstone where 200mm is too long and you can't fit the car in the frame - and I was just a fan shooting from the public areas. The 70-200 is ideal for so many of the other types of shots taken at F1 that I'm kind of confused as to why...
  17. H

Kickstarter: The KOBRA Flash Modifier System

Absolutely! They show a bunch of crap-looking-but-still-functional bodges at the start of the video - I quite like that they're upfront about it just being an expensive version of the bodge that most of its buyers will already have made and already be using themselves.
  18. H

Kickstarter: The KOBRA Flash Modifier System

Once they've paid off the initial investment of their time, the margins on this will be fantastic! Expensive for what it is, but the secure attachment to the flash, foldability and integration of the gels makes it one of those things that's worth spending the extra on. That and not looking ****...
  19. H

Canon Patent Application: Apodization Filter lenses

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20180067333 Erm, so I've done my digging and skimmed through the patent but I'm too thick to understand it. Could someone tell me what it does? :-[
  20. H

Canon Announces the EOS Rebel 4000D, The Cheapest DSLR Ever? Will Come to North America as the EOS R

Re: Canon Announces the EOS Rebel 4000D, The Cheapest DSLR Ever? Will Come to North America as the E Releasing cheapest-in-class DSLRs is classic Canon... 5D and 300D were the ones I remember. As to the only modest price difference between the 4000D & 2000D, people at this end of the market...