Search results

1. F

RF 200-800mm vs RF 100-500mm vs RF 800mm on R7 and R5

I found significant differences between two 16/2.8 and 50/1.8 lenses and selected the best ones. I had two decentred RF 24-105/4L lenses. This may also explain diferences between reviews.
  2. F

R6 II Anti Flicker with Sports

I think there are two issues here (but I could well be wrong). Antiflicker is primarily a response to fluorescent tubes and works reasonably well. LEDS are a different beast and they operate at 50 or 60Hz. When shooting events with LED lighting I try to use a slow shutter speed if possible...
  3. F

RF 100-500 worse with RF 1.4x?

Looking more closely at my last post, I wondered if the actual resolution of the test chart was insufficient to distinguish between the RF 100-500 without and with the RF 1.4x. So I reshot the test chart at 20m, illuminated with a remote flash at ISO 400 - ambient illumination is negligible -...
  4. F

What a difference proper technique makes! I set up the target at 10m in the evening and used flash (which completely overpowered the ambient light). The first photo shows a dramatic improvement in the sharpness of both images, especially the 700mm (100% for the 700mm image and 136% for the 500mm...
  5. F

I ran some more tests and concluded that vibration is a major factor to be considered when running tests of long focal lenses. I tried to delete this thread, but couldn't - perhaps my learnings will be of use. This analysis is not academic as I regularly print my landscape images 30 inches wide...
  6. F

Hello friends (especially AlanF and usern4cr) I've been following threads comparing the RF 100-500 with and without the RF 1.4x, with the RF 800/11, as well as threads elsewhere. Shooting from the same distance with an R5 I expected that the resolution of the RF 100-500 would be better with the...
  7. F

Save big on external SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD drives

Buyer beware! https://www.techspot.com/news/99707-sandisk-portable-ssd-issues-persist-following-firmware-update.html I just bought a couple of Samsung T7s.
  8. F

The State of RF – 5 Years of Lenses

The excellent 400/4 DO lens is discontinued and is unavailable where I live, before an RF equivalent is out. They are also unavailable here second-hand. I think that was his point.
  9. F

RF 35/1.8 for astrophotography

Here are some comparisons of the EF and RF 35mm lenses, and the RF 24mm, all at f/2, 2.8, 3.5 and 4. Not sure what the magnification is, but about 1/6 of both dimensions of the full frame.
  10. F

RF 35/1.8 for astrophotography

I compared astro performance of a friend's RF 35/1.8 with my EF 35/2 IS and RF 24/1.8. I can post the results in 4 weeks when I'm back home. But here is a comparison of the EF vs RF 35mm at f/2.8 (not a perfect comparison as I misfocused the RF and had to reshoot). But the difference was quite...
  11. F

Lightroom 13.0 adds support for 'AI assisted' fake lens blur

I find that it works well if - The background is already moderately soft - The applied blur is modest - There are no fuzzy edges, such as hair, fur and feathers. As these are commonly in my photos, I create two virtual copies, one without the added blur and import as layers into Photoshop...
  12. F

SmallRig announces LP-E6NH battery for Canon, priced at $39.99 USD.

Dustin Abbott reviewed the batteries here: The review would have been much more useful if he had measured capacity - he just assumes that the 2400mAh means they have more capacity than Canon batteries. My experience with the non-USB version (2040 mAh) is that they are around 20% less than the...
  13. F

Review: Canon RF 15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM

"The 85 f2 with the extending barrel may be the most decent of the bunch, but...its an extending barrel 85..f2. Yuck." Yes, the 85mm/2 is a great, sharp lens and the 1:2 "macro" is very useful. I'm okay with the extending barrel if it keeps the lens smaller (as suggested by Neuro). There is one...
  14. F

Review: Canon RF 15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM

This thread contains quite a bit of criticism of Canon's "budget" primes. I have the RF 16, 24, 50 and 85, and have used a friend's 35. I didn't love the 35 but am very happy with the others. I have sold at least two dozen 3-foot wide prints with these lenses for good prices. Sure extreme...
  15. F

SmallRig has launched the rotatable mounting plate kit for the EOS R5/EOS R6 series of cameras

Good idea in principle. The problem is the extended foot that allows the camera to rotate without hitting the tripod clamp. I bought a SmallRig QR L-bracket. Low profile, yet adds a little height so my little finger helps grip the camera. The side plate removes easily and quickly with the...
  16. F

Does Canon have plans to release a ‘retro’ styled EOS R camera in the future?

I I think the first question is what would the retro camera emulate? When I think of classic film cameras the Nikon FM and Pentax Spotmatic come to mind. Then the OM-1. The closest Canon camera would be the FTb (a TLb was my first SLR) or maybe the EF. Not sure how well an F would work. I...
  17. F

Three new stacked sensor cameras coming from Canon [CR2]

Off topic, but I'd be interested in what you dislike about R5 ergos. From my 20D, through 5D, 5DII, 5DsR and R6, I have grown into, and like, the R5 ergos. Not sure what I'd change.
  18. F

Article on F-Stoppers; R5 falling apart?

The mirror of my 5D (mk 1) fell off its mount on the last photo of one of my earliest paid events. Didn't have a backup camera, so I was lucky. That was a known issue and a new mirror was glued on by Canon.
  19. F

Good point, I had forgotten about that. I think we can assume that software updates reduced that further.
  20. F

The article got me when it refered to the mirror failing and needed replacing! Sure, the author had a bad experience with her camera and I understand she is p!ssed off. But to extrapolate that to the R5 generally, well... Perhaps we should do a poll: age, shutter actuations, working conditions...