İstanbul Turkey Time Lapses

Hello everybody....

I making time lapses almost one years... I shoot a lots of footages
I shooting jpg, not professional but ı using Picasa for making time lapses.
because picasa is easiest way to do, ı think....

My equipment is 600D and TS-E 24mm 1:3.5 L II. Giottos tripod and cheaper remotre control...

ı curious what you think and let me now please....

Eminönü-Kadıköy Port - HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Karaköy İskele HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Süleymaniye - Eminönü HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Eminönü - Galata HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Apr 28, 2011
I think videos 3 & 4 are the best from that selection, because the subject matter is relatively clear and interesting. The first video has such a shallow DOF that I'm not sure what I'm meant to be seeing, and everywhere I look is just bokeh. That would probably be my main suggestion: try more depth of field so that your viewers can see more of the subject matter.

Have you tried doing a time lapse of the fisherman on the big bridge in Istanbul? When I was there there must have been a hundred men fishing off it.

Upvote 0
I like 3 & 4 the best. In 1 & 2 there isn't a lot happening and if there is, it's happening at the edge or off the frame so you can't see it. #2 particularly, feels more like the boat got in the way.

In 3 & 4 there is quite a lot going on which makes them interesting to watch, especially 4 which has people (people are more erratic than cars on a road)
However, in 4 you seem to have skipped some frames 11 sec into the film - the boats suddenly move :)

I don't have speakers on my PC at the moment so I didn't notice the lack of sound but sound would probably improve it (unless you chose to use the spice girls or something!)

scarey

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

3 is heads and above the rest.

Wider field of view also means less troublesome foreground detail.

You need to drag the shutter more to blur the subject motion, I aim for 1s. (or .8s if like me you have long exposure NR enabled) this will help with the foreground waves and the hustle and bustle in 4.

I would say in the first one there is no motivation for the tilt effect. The ship is the primary subject and when it comes to life it is immediately rendered blurry. The shot is too low and not wide enough for the minature effect, so it's use here seems wasted. You can also use a tilt shift properly which in combination with an ND can offer you great depth of field for a wider aperture, letting you use, say an ND500 etc without resorting to an extended exposure or noisy high ISO's.

The tilt can add a really cool effect, but you seem to have used it here for the sake of using it without any real motivation (that said it works well in clip 3)

There is no camera motion, which can really lift a timelapse, I have a telescope go-to head which can be put on really slow slew for timelapse pans and tilts, or you could do it the easier way and use the ken burns zoom and pan in post idea (create your QT movie at source resolution, take into your editing app and remember to add beziers to the ramps)

On the positive your exposure ramping is excellent, so you've either shot entirely wide open, or you've decoupled your lens enough so as to lock a pre-set aperture.

The colours in 1 are fantastic, I would have maybe started a stop or so brighter, giving you a bit more at the other end when it gets dark.

You have the technique nailed (other than say the longer exposure) I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Don't be too annoyed with me. If I'm asked an opinion I'll always give it straight. There's lots to be happy with, especially in clip 3.

Upvote 0
smithy hi,
First one has to much of bokeh, actually it is my favorite. But you'r right, depth of field has to be little bit more.
And ı will keep Galata Bridge and fishermans on my mind..

tomscott, Click, ı was add soundtracks before and then ı delete my videos because copyrgiht became issue.... :)

scarey83 4. was my first video it is kind a amateur thing but ı wait for it almost 3 hours actually ı really like it.

paul13walnut5 ı keep your advices on my mind. thank you for your critique....

Here is some news time lapses.....

Sirkeci Suhulet HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Kadıköy Beşiktaş İskelesi HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Ramazan Yeni Camii HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Eminönü Tramway HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I think it's the motion of the boats is ruining it for me. It's too apparant that the timebase is funny.
Light trails are smooth and repetitive, the boats are more random.

Clip 8 is a point in case of why you need to drag the shutter.

Here's some of my timelapse, by no means the best out there, but I've chosen subjects with less random motion and dragged the shutter.

http://youtu.be/O0UbAm9O9As

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Komodor said:
Here is some new time lapses.... The third one is my favorite...
Taksim İstiklal HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Taksim İstiklal HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Kumkapı Cataraman HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Kumkapı Cataraman HD Stock Footage Time Lapse

Şişhane Metro İnşaatı HD Stock Footage Time Lapse
Şişhane Metro İnşaatı HD Stock Footage Time Lapse
The first one is my favourite, because things are happening. The second and third don't really have much going on that justify a time lapse (you could almost achieve the same thing with a single still photograph). If the diggers had been digging or driving around in the third video, it would have been really good!

Upvote 0
I've long been interested in time lapse. So a few months ago I watched this B&H video on how to do it:

Getting Started with Timelapse Photography

It's long, but it's a great piece of instruction by someone with a lot of experience. I decided not to get into it because I don't want to deal with that many image files, file storage, shutter actuations, etc.

But I sure love watching a good one. And apparently there is some market out there to sell them.

Upvote 0
@ smithy hello
Yeas you right digger must be moving arround, but it just has little movements... But ı think it si really miniature

@renlok
I will make a long clips when ı decided to but it take some time because my videos not goog enough. I need to make some improvements about my technique and my style has to be settle down :)

@paul13walnut5
Paul you saying ı must be use an nd filter to rise down my shutter speed? in daylight...
I am going to try this but it will take a time eventually

@distant.star
thank you to sharing this BH video. I will watch it ı think it going to be useful for me....

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
THat is more like it.. no foreground movement etc. If you had started shooting whent he counter reaches 10s, and let it run a bit longer this would be the absolutely perfect magic hour timelapse.

Great viewpoint. Great view. Facing West. Detailed Sky. Lots of lights to come on as the light changes!

Much more cinematic looking!

Like a lot!
Yes ıt was very nice viewpoint but it is so windy when ı trying to capture that pictures me and my friends got flu :D

Here is new one. And the mountain at the right side was my viewpoint for first video.....
http://youtu.be/omavmBOmjS4

Upvote 0