The R will probably give you better results than the 5d II has a newer sensor and improved AF with the new firmware. I don't think the R has any benefit over the 5dIV unless the AF is a better with the new firmware. If you don't have a big need for a new backup at this time, you might consider returning. If you are one of those folks that waits for prices on new gear to drop, I would keep the camera. Even if a new camera is announced next year, it will be 2021 before you see any real price movement. I usually carry a 1dx II + 5d IV, but I sold my 5d IV last month. I don't have any major wildlife trips until Fall 2020, so I decided I could do without the 5d IV and tiger resell value. I did buy a M6 II as a temporary backup and to use on a couple of big recreation trips I have scheduled in 2020. I plan to purchase an R in 2020 if they deliver a high MPX model or an updated R II. I borrowed an R from CPS and it is a very nice camera even though it was using the old firmware.My setup up until recently was the 5DM4 and the 5DM2 as my backup. I bought the EOS R 2 weeks ago to replace the 5DM2, but with all the rumors of a more pro version R, I am considering returning it and just getting the upgrade when it releases.