“Pro” EOS R camera coming in March 2020? [CR0]

Thanks!
I see the question mark so I suppose there's a question but I'm not sure I understand it:
"Is the best way to view the R with firmware 1.4 that it will equal or exceed 5dIV AF in every aspect with the exception of small, fast moving object that are impacted by the delay of the EVF?"
If you are asking about the AF accuracy compared to the 5D Mark IV I think the EOS R is better. I realized that with this camera it's either you get the shot in focus or you don't get it at all. There have been very few shots in so-so focus.
The speed is not that great but it's enough, even for sports and BIF.
2-3 fps (with AF tracking) is woefully inadequate, people complained about the 5DsR's 5fps, but it was workable most times and was better than the 5D3 for AF IMO. 2fps is great for pelicans in flight I guess or resting pigeons. Even the M6II will be a far superior tool for BIF and action.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
2-3 fps (with AF tracking) is woefully inadequate, people complained about the 5DsR's 5fps, but it was workable most times and was better than the 5D3 for AF IMO. 2fps is great for pelicans in flight I guess or resting pigeons. Even the M6II will be a far superior tool for BIF and action.
That's just not true!
It's 5 fps with continuos focus tracking, not 2-3. Believe me, I actually use the camera unlike armchair reviewers on YouTube...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koch1948

EOS-1D X Mark III
Oct 8, 2019
Well, one person's 'Pro' is another persons occasionally paid enthusiast. The definition of the word is debated quite frequently.
Now, if you think a majority of pro's who shoot weddings and studio work are those numbers you speak of then sure but anyone needing top 'in the field' capability or sports/wildlife pro's then I have to disagree,. MAYBE a D5, but that's a far 2nd place. The 1D line is king.It's also hotly debated that the 5D line is professional. I have one, it can be used for professional work, I did so for a few years but I wouldn't say unequivocally that it is pro. Only the 1D.

Upvote 0
My understanding is that the 1D series is considered "Pro" and the 5D series is considered "Prosumer".

On its own website, Canon positions 5DIV, 1DXII, 5DS and even 6DII as 'professional'. 6DII is also in the enthusiast category. No mirrorless camera is in the professional category yet. R, RP, M6II and M5 are all in the enthusiast category.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My understanding is that the 1D series is considered "Pro" and the 5D series is considered "Prosumer".

I think that 1D and 5D series + EOS R are "Pro" cameras.
1D is the very fast, ultra rugged but heavy pro camera,
5D and EOS R are fast, rugged and reliable pro cameras with less weight.

Two EOS Rs and e.g. 15-30 or 24-70 + 70-200 2.8 might be a very good combo for a press
photograph/journalist (non-sports) because it should have a good balance between speed, IQ
and volume/weight. And there is enough room in a medium large backpack for
a small tripod, some audio equipment, notebook, some clothing, some emergency food
and 1...2 litres of water.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I consider the R useable for pro work in some situations but not as deployable or versatile as the 5 or 1. Just a few too many quirks in button placement and lack of options; more designed from a converted dslr point of view than from the ground up as a completely new type of camera. Even Canon says its more of a 6D segment camera, depending on who you ask (people from CPS for example).

In the last few months I seriously considered getting an R alongside my 5D’s but I know that in the end I’d just sell it somewhere next year when better options will be available. So I’ll wait patiently. Yesterday I attended a CPS event and got to try the new 15-35 and 24-70 and that did feel very good (also took some tests shots on an sd card and the images look very good). It was again said that ‘2020 will be a very interesting year’. And something’s coming Thursday; probably just the announcement of the new 85 and 70-200

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not gonna happen.
I believe since Canon yet to master continuous AF in burst mode, they are not gonna release a PRO (1D or 5D equivalent) R body. instead, they probably release a Hi-res version of R (5Dsr equivalent ), with FF M6 sensor (which is a turn off for me personally since DR is pretty meh) and mediocre AF features for 3000 USD. so they can buy more time to master the continuous AF and release more PRO lenses.
I think we can only see the 5D equivalent R body with proper AF and probably 36 or 42 MP in early 2021.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Not gonna happen.
I believe since Canon yet to master continuous AF in burst mode, they are not gonna release a PRO (1D or 5D equivalent) R body. instead, they probably release a Hi-res version of R (5Dsr equivalent ), with FF M6 sensor (which is a turn off for me personally since DR is pretty meh) and mediocre AF features for 3000 USD. so they can buy more time to master the continuous AF and release more PRO lenses.
I think we can only see the 5D equivalent R body with proper AF and probably 36 or 42 MP in early 2021.
I doubt they release 60mpixel high res top model if its their best sensor.
Maybe 60mpixel high resolution enthusiastic hobbyist camera then with one card slot and average weather seal.

Upvote 0
Not gonna happen.
I believe since Canon yet to master continuous AF in burst mode, they are not gonna release a PRO (1D or 5D equivalent) R body. instead, they probably release a Hi-res version of R (5Dsr equivalent ), with FF M6 sensor (which is a turn off for me personally since DR is pretty meh) and mediocre AF features for 3000 USD.

The M6 Mark II does 16 fps with AF.
I think they figured it out.

btw, there's nothing wrong with the M6 II's DR.. Even dpreview says Canon has caught up to Sony sensors. and that's dpreview even.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
The M6 Mark II does 16 fps with AF.
I think they figured it out.

btw, there's nothing wrong with the M6 II's DR.. Even dpreview says Canon has caught up to Sony sensors. and that's dpreview even.
so with 2xdici9 maybe 8fp 80mpix ,sounds good to me :)
or 10fps 60mpix like sony .. but it doesnt feel like highmegapixel camera if nearly 1dx2 shoot speed :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
On its own website, Canon positions 5DIV, 1DXII, 5DS and even 6DII as 'professional'. 6DII is also in the enthusiast category. No mirrorless camera is in the professional category yet. R, RP, M6II and M5 are all in the enthusiast category.
I seem to remember that when the 5D first came out, which is when I first bought it, Apple considered it to be an advanced amateur camera, not a Pro model. I suppose that evolved over the years.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
And to prove how full of crap DPReview are and have been for so long the truth is the M6 II/90D and 80D DR is exactly the same...

The difference between 80D/90D and Sony 7r3/7r4 in APS-C mode is almost nothing too. 0.6 stop at base ISO, and <0.4 for most of the rest of the range. People are still going to claim that half a stop is keeping them from taking good photos, but they've got basically not science to back it up with.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The difference between 80D/90D and Sony 7r3/7r4 in APS-C mode is almost nothing too. 0.6 stop at base ISO, and <0.4 for most of the rest of the range. People are still going to claim that half a stop is keeping them from taking good photos, but they've got basically not science to back it up with.
Yep, makes DPReview even more laughable. All this 'way behind' and 'catching up' is just click bate hyperbole. Don't get me wrong, the 5D MkII/III generation of sensors did lag somewhat behind the competition but DR differences haven't been an issue between camera brands when comparing same sized sensors for several years now.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, and it's only an opinion, it's the photographer that is professional or enthusiast, not the camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I seem to remember that when the 5D first came out, which is when I first bought it, Apple considered it to be an advanced amateur camera, not a Pro model. I suppose that evolved over the years.
Correct. Only for US markets though. That is how Canon US decided to position the 5D series locally They changed the tune in about a year with intent to capture more of the market with the same product and to justify a premium product pricing model.

Upvote 0