The Zhongyi Optical Canon EF 50mmf / 0.95 lens will be officially launched for sale on April 27, 2020

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
A dream lens for DSLR... That is amazing!!! o_O
Maybe for some. The lack of AF makes it a non-starter for me. I have a huge amount of manual focus lenses to challenge me already. Very happy with Canon's f/1.2 and fantastic AF. I've looked at Zhongyi Mitacon, but in these trying financial times, I won't be buying any lenses just for curiosity's sake.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Manual focus at f0.95?
I doubt you'll get many shots in proper focus (where you actually get perfect focus on the point YOU want it to).
The suject only has to breathe to slightly change the focus point.

50/0.95 @3m to subject DOF:

around 7cm in front of and 7cm behind of the focus plane. same as 135/2 @ 4.6m to subject.

You are correct though. this is a speciality lens.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I found it very challenging, I’ve owned it on a couple mounts (Sony and RF). I suspect that with the 5d4 and optical vf, you’ll need to be someone who loves manual focus lenses. Each time I sold it. It was a lot easier on the R, with the great focus aids, but in the end I traded it in and got the rf50 1.2 instead. Much happier.

Pretty awful optics when focusing close, pretty decent at distance.when you DID nail the focus, it was great. I just ended up missing and thus missing out on some great shots.

Upvote 0