10D, 100D or 700D?

10D, 100D or 700D body/lens/flash combo for 'cuteness' and usability?

• Total voters
Dec 25, 2011
UK
My wife wants a DSLR to replace her IXUS point & shoot, partly because some of her friends have SLRs ... so a sort of "keeping up with the Jones's" ... but mainly for better IQ. Main use will be shooting at parties and sharing the images with her friends on Facebook (although I might just borrow it on occasion as a walk around camera for non-professional use).

I already have a number of spare Canon lenses and was thinking of donating my 24-105L to her and thus limiting the financial outlay to 'body only'. It would also have better IQ than any of the 100D/700D kit lenses.

I was also thinking I might donate my old 10D, which has been sitting in a cupboard unused for the last 8 or 9 years (so no financial outlay at all other than to buy some new batteries, as the originals have died - you might consider this a 'cheapskate' option but the IQ from the 10D is still as superb as it ever was and 6mp should be more than enough resolution for the intended purpose). The only drawbacks might be that the 10D doesn't shoot video and possibly more significant it doesn't have any built-in flash, so I'd have to either donate my old 580EX or buy a new one. The need for an external flash unit would also make the whole rig quite large and cumbersome and not really what might be described as 'cute' (my wife likes 'cute')

I'm thinking that the 100D might be a better option because it's small and 'cute' and has built-in flash and video. It also has cute Kids, Food and Candlelight modes which might appeal.

There again, the 700D doesn't cost significantly more and might be better balanced with the 24-105L lens? It also has a 'cute' and useful vari-angle rear LCD screen. Also, AF has 9 cross-type points versus 1 cross-type point on the 100D, which might be an advantage for shooting in dimly lit party venues?

So, I'll be grateful for your thoughts - on a limited budget for the purpose described above (effectively a high quality 'point and shoot' for my wife and an occasional walk-around camera for myself) which do you think would be the optimal balance between financial outlay and usability?

1. ('cheapskate' option) 10D body, 24-105L, 580EX, a couple of replacement batteries

2. 100D body, 24-105L

3. 700D body, 24-105L

4. some other option (bearing in mind that my wife has her heart set on a DSLR)?

Option 2 but with the kit lens if you stay with a DSLR. The 18-55 range is more useful than the 24-105 for parties and is smaller and lighter. She could always "borrow" your lenses for a specific purpose, but the 100D with the kit lens is compact and light. Most women I know prefer the more compact option even if it has fewer features. The camera that is small enough that they don't mind carrying is the one that gets used... which is why I got my wife the EOS-M.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
Ask you wife which option she wants.

I also have a question for you given the spare equipment you have sitting around: The minute your wife said she was interested in a DSLR, why didn't you just offer her the 10D with the 24-105 as something to try out with the understanding that if she likes the DSLR experience, you'll help her pick something new out as a present? And of course you can constrain the options she has to choose from but I doubt she'll go all full frame on you.

Upvote 0
The Q menu and touch interface on the 100D and 700D are nice to help new users.

This spring I was faced with a similar situation and tried to get my wife to use my backup 40D - she was intimidated by it. We ended up with a 650D as the 100D was announced but not available at the time. She likes it a lot and likes the video capabilities. Unfortunately she keeps taking "my" 17-40L as she likes the feel of it over the 18-55.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ereka said:
Main use will be shooting at parties

I already have a number of spare Canon lenses and was thinking of donating my 24-105L to her and thus limiting the financial outlay to 'body only'. It would also have better IQ than any of the 100D/700D kit lenses.

Yes, the 24-105L would have better IQ wide open than the 18-55, although not as much better as you might be thinking. Not sure if 100D + 18-135mm STM kits are available where you are (they aren't in the USA but since you call it the 100D and refer to IXUS P&S, I infer that you're not in the USA) - that kit lens actually delivers better IQ at the long end than the 24-105L, even giving the 24-105L the benefit of stopping down to f/5.6 (TDP comparison).

The real issue with the 24-105L is that on APS-C it gives a FF equivalent of 38mm. Not sure which IXUS she has, but most of the recent ones start at 28mm or even 24mm FFeq…I'm not sure she'd be happy giving up the wide angle, particularly since you mention indoor use.

So, my vote goes to a 100D body (for the small size) and either the 18-135mm STM lens, the 18-55mm STM lens for cost savings, or if you want to splurge and one-up the Joneses, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS which gives better low light performance and IMO is the best general purpose zoom for APS-C.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
In all honesty, the only opinion that matters is your wife's. Since you have many of the cameras and lenses, she can try them out. For the uses you have outlined, each camera and lens that you have considered is probably far beyond what she needs in terms of IQ. I would opt for the lightest and most convenient (pop-up flash compared to flash unit). The 24-105 lens seems to be way over the top - even I don't like carrying around that much weight.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
dak723 said:
In all honesty, the only opinion that matters is your wife's...

+1000. Take it from a guy who's been married three times. Your used cast-offs are not an acceptable gift. Get her a new camera and lens kit that is her's and her's alone. Even a 1Dx would be a bargain in comparison to the path you'll be heading down if you dust off some 10 year old camera and hand it to her.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
dak723 said:
In all honesty, the only opinion that matters is your wife's...

+1000. Take it from a guy who's been married three times. Your used cast-offs are not an acceptable gift. Get her a new camera and lens kit that is her's and her's alone. Even a 1Dx would be a bargain in comparison to the path you'll be heading down if you dust off some 10 year old camera and hand it to her.

+1001 Wiser words may have never been spoken. lol

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
ereka said:

Yes, the 24-105L would have better IQ wide open than the 18-55, although not as much better as you might be thinking. Not sure if 100D + 18-135mm STM kits are available where you are (they aren't in the USA but since you call it the 100D and refer to IXUS P&S, I infer that you're not in the USA) - that kit lens actually delivers better IQ at the long end than the 24-105L, even giving the 24-105L the benefit of stopping down to f/5.6 (TDP comparison).

The real issue with the 24-105L is that on APS-C it gives a FF equivalent of 38mm. Not sure which IXUS she has, but most of the recent ones start at 28mm or even 24mm FFeq…I'm not sure she'd be happy giving up the wide angle, particularly since you mention indoor use.

So, my vote goes to a 100D body (for the small size) and either the 18-135mm STM lens, the 18-55mm STM lens for cost savings, or if you want to splurge and one-up the Joneses, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS which gives better low light performance and IMO is the best general purpose zoom for APS-C.

I was thinking almost exactly what neuro said except I didn't consider the 17-55 upgrade. I also agree with K13X5C. Get her something new that is hers and let her show it off and get a real thrill out of using it. And help her with it often so you can be her resident expert. Compliment her on her work.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
neuroanatomist said:
ereka said:

I was thinking almost exactly what neuro said except I didn't consider the 17-55 upgrade. I also agree with K13X5C. Get her something new that is hers and let her show it off and get a real thrill out of using it. And help her with it often so you can be her resident expert. Compliment her on her work.

Another +1 for Neuro's suggestion. I'd also like to second the "EOS M" suggestion as it was the very first thing that popped in my head. Buying the "full kit" of the EOS M + 22/2 (for low light) + 18-55 + 90EX flash sounds PERFECT for her uses, IMO. And if you're in the US can be had for $400. That's a LOT of bang for the buck as the IQ from both of those lenses is OUTSTANDING, the kit is compact and the entire package is quite versatile. If the 40mm f/2.8 STM is desired, it can be added along with the adapter for less than $250.

Upvote 0
Have you thought about a 5Dc? with a 24-105L that is a good combo and if you and trying to keep up with the jones, it is also a really good combo for that too. I am not sure it is the best choice but it is something to think about. But it is a bigger camera but I am guessing she has used a camera that size before bc my guess is that is what you are shooting with size wise. But the problem with it and the 10D is the screen size. It stinks to try and show people picture on a screen that size nowadays. I would rule out the 10D bc of the screen.

Upvote 0