135L discontinued?

Jan 22, 2017
Hi folks,

I posted a couple of days ago asking for your thoughts on both the Canon and the Sigma 135mm lenses.

Having decided on the Canon, I've just been into Jessops (UK store) who told me that only a few of their stores have them in stock as the lens has been discontinued! They are bringing one over from another store for me to have a look at.

Is this true??? The sales chap double checked the stock, and checked with the store manager.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2011
All the big US sellers have them. http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/00011/Canon-EF-135mm-f2.0L-USM-price.html

Its a common tactic for stores to use the discontinued story to try and sell something with a bigger profit. It is also possible that they have inside information that no one else has - YEA.

Rumors of a replacement for this old lens have been rumored for a long time. Its still very good, and looks better than its test results due to low abberations.

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-135mm-f2l-replacement-cr1/

Upvote 0
MusoD said:
Hi folks,

I posted a couple of days ago asking for your thoughts on both the Canon and the Sigma 135mm lenses.

Having decided on the Canon, I've just been into Jessops (UK store) who told me that only a few of their stores have them in stock as the lens has been discontinued! They are bringing one over from another store for me to have a look at.

Is this true??? The sales chap double checked the stock, and checked with the store manager.

Thanks.

Jessops.. hmmm.. not really a fan, they're not bad but they're a "big" chain, so with the number of staff they have you're always going to get some variability.

I use my local camera shop (castle cameras in Salisbury) and HDEW for grey imports (who are a brick and mortar UK based importer who give VAT receipts on request & 3yr warranties on lenses)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
rfdesigner said:
MusoD said:
Hi folks,

Thanks.

Jessops.. hmmm.. not really a fan, they're not bad but they're a "big" chain, so with the number of staff they have you're always going to get some variability.

I use my local camera shop (castle cameras in Salisbury) and HDEW for grey imports (who are a brick and mortar UK based importer who give VAT receipts on request & 3yr warranties on lenses)

I ordinarily go to Dale Photographic (Leeds), or sometimes Harrison Cameras (Sheffield), both of which are great shops. Neither however have the 135mm L in stock, and both are asking for the best part of £100 more for it than Jessops. Seems to be a special order.... might be more to what Jessops are saying than we think.

Interestingly, MPB haven't had any used ones in for a few weeks either.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
MusoD said:
leadin2 said:
It's still listed in my local Canon website. Did he get mixed up with 35mm f/1.4 mark I? :)

No, definitely the 135L f2. They have a couple left in other stores so they're shipping one over to have a look at.

It seems odd they they would stop stocking it.

Its definitely one of the older lenses, Canon usually replaces them when sales drop and they think that people are ready to pay double the price of the old one. I'm sure that they make prototypes frome time to time in order to evaluate new designs, but the decision to actually start producing a new model is likely marketing based. My 135L was really a great lens, paying double for one that is perhaps a tiny bit better, but has IS would not tempt me.

Upvote 0