18-135 STM vs USM

My wife uses my old 30D and an 18-55.

Recently the lens has stopped working it's aperture so if it tries to shoot anything other than wide open the camera throws an error 99. I could pull the lens apart and try and fix it.. but it's old, and there's no IS.

So we're thinking a new lens is in order especially as she has a bit of hand shake, also she really wants a bit more zoom and doesn't want to change lenses in the field.

So an 18-135 looks like a good idea.

Now I appreciate that optically the STM and nano-USM versions of this lens are more or less identical, and I can get either lens for about the same price.. so is there any other aspect that differentiates the two?

Ideally I'd plump for the more reliable lens, which makes me inclined to go for the STM as the nano-USM system is new so bugs may not be fully ironed out.. however I'm guessing.

is there anything I'm missing?, which lens would others go for?

Also note: my wife primarily prints at 6"x4", so lens correction (or lack of in the 30D) isn't an issue, when she wants to print larger we can process in DPP.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The USM one has the power zoom adaptor option ($149, optional add-on) if you'll ever shoot video. I know virtually nothing about that adaptor, if a DPAF body is required, etc.

I defer to those that have shot both lenses, but the IQ looks about the same between the two at TDP and the STM version is a good $200 cheaper. So you have to ask yourself how important Nano USM focusing speed is over STM.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
The USM one has the power zoom adaptor option ($149, optional add-on) if you'll ever shoot video. I know virtually nothing about that adaptor, if a DPAF body is required, etc.

I defer to those that have shot both lenses, but the IQ looks about the same between the two at TDP and the STM version is a good $200 cheaper. So you have to ask yourself how important Nano USM focusing speed is over STM.

- A

cheers

I can buy the USM for £249 and the STM for £259, so essentially no difference.

I'm just hesitant as nano-USM is relatively "new" and every time I've dragged my heels on new-tech I've been rewarded by better reliability and longevity. i.e. keep away from the bleeding edge.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Like Ahsanford, I'm mystified why the USM version would be less expensive. I would just want to make sure that you are comparing the correct lenses. There are actually three versions of the 18-135 mm.

The original, now discontinued, version which used a Micro Motor, the STM version and the Nano-USM version.

Be sure you know which one you are buying.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
Like Ahsanford, I'm mystified why the USM version would be less expensive. I would just want to make sure that you are comparing the correct lenses. There are actually three versions of the 18-135 mm.

The original, now discontinued, version which used a Micro Motor, the STM version and the Nano-USM version.

Be sure you know which one you are buying.

Exactly what I was thinking. I am aware of three versions (all f/3.5 - 5.6):

2009: EF-S 18-135 IS (no AF type listed, i.e. old school micromotor) --> still for sale at $399
2012 EF-S 18-135 IS STM --> $399
2016: EF-S 18-135 IS USM (Nano) --> $599

...so the only way the USM could be cheaper is that it is a refurb, it's used, or... it fell off the back of a truck? ???

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I have the nano, but other than the power zoom adapter, I dont see any need to get it if you're worried.

The power zoom works on all cameras, but the remotely controller BR-E1 zoom feature only works on some, eg the SL2, 80D etc. It can also be used via phone app with some cameras where the bluetooth controller doesnt work, eg the M5.

I got mine for a lot less than $599 and there are multiple on ebay for about $400 Oz, not sure why theres such a price range with the nano-usm model but mine works with the Power adapter/remote and no problems to date, so I doubt its anything odd, maybe they just arent selling at the higher price.

Upvote 0
Now I've figured out the nano-USM is the one to go for, I agree with the general consternation, however here's the grey prices:

nano

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-s-18-135mm-f35-56-is-usm-lens-nano-4665-p.asp

STM

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-ef-s-18-135mm-f35-56-is-stm-lens-2219-p.asp

thanks to everyone for contributing, nano-USM lens now ordered

Upvote 0