1D X REPAIR HELP URGENT

Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I've sent my 1DX into to Canon because the focus points/screen in the viewfinder are misaligned from the actual AF points.

Reading these threads on CR, it appears that I have a misaligned Transmissive LCD:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21897.0

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14854.0

I wrote a detailed letter indicating to Canon what the problem is and that the Transmissive LCD needs adjusting, showing both a diagram of the focus point misalignment as well as pictures of the focus points in LiveView and the ViewFinder not aligning.

I received the following email from Canon:

"we don't have anything remotely going by the name "transmissive lcd" in the photography world, I have to give the tech more descriptive information that we are used to using here. I googled "transmissive lcd" to find out what it is you had in mind, and the closest thing that comes to that is the focusing screen that you see through the viewfinder. Built into that screen is what we consider an "SI Plate" (Super impose) which is what you are seeing when the red lights appear to show you where your focusing point is.

I have adjusted the notes to the tech, but I am also including a schematic I would like you to take a look at. It is a break down of the inside of the camera showing the viewfinder assembly (pentaprism) and the placement of the focusing screen. If you would like me to add more details, I would really appreciate it if you could reference what you are seeing in this diagram, it would be beyond helpful.
"

If Canon doesn't know what the Transmissive LCD is, then going by the camera schematic attached, what can I tell them to adjust?

Attachments

• RN037343.jpg
    RN037343.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 218
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
R1-7D said:
"we don't have anything remotely going by the name "transmissive lcd" in the photography world...

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/digital_camera_features/transmissive_lcd_viewfinders.do

Thanks again for your help Neuro. I will be forwarding the link.

Judging by my past experience with Canon Canada, and how this is going so far, I don't expect an easy resolution.

Upvote 0
I think your only problem was that in trying to describe your issue you also tried to tell the tech how to make the repair - i.e. realign the transmissive LCD. You happened to use terminology different from their internal repair manual. Simply tell/show them (again) operationally what isn't working right and how you expect it should work once they have repaired it. Something as simple as "the actual focus point location should correspond exactly with the location indicated in the viewfinder and not be offset to the side (maybe add which direction you observe its off)."

Good luck... don't be surprised if they say it's within spec. even though its clearly offset!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The pent prism assembly is likely the part. I'd say it includes the transmissive screen, which may not be replaceable as a individual part.

That's why the service rep can't find it in the parts list.

The tech will obviously know what you are seeing, the issue is in getting the problem to him.

Sometimes its better to just describe the problem rather than trying to tell them which part is the issue. The fix may be to move the AF sensor in the bottom of the camera to line up better with the LCD.

Upvote 0
This happens to me sometimes. In my attempt to be the smartest guy in the room, I inevitably create more confusion to everyone except myself. Over the years, I've learned to ask more and talk less. Best intentions can often misfire.

Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain. I run in to non-qualified techs and service people all the time where I wonder how they keep their job they are so seemingly helpless and apathetic.

It sort of a no-win situation. For many reasons, this being one of the biggies, I prefer to perform my own repairs, service, etc whenever possible. But fixing my $3500 DSLR isn't something I really want to do if others are more experienced and good at it.

Good luck getting your camera back ASAP and working like new again!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The pent prism assembly is likely the part. I'd say it includes the transmissive screen, which may not be replaceable as a individual part.

That's why the service rep can't find it in the parts list.

The tech will obviously know what you are seeing, the issue is in getting the problem to him.

Sometimes its better to just describe the problem rather than trying to tell them which part is the issue. The fix may be to move the AF sensor in the bottom of the camera to line up better with the LCD.

Perhaps you're right - I gave too much detail. However, I thought that it would be wise on my part to give all the details simply from reading other threads where people experienced similar issues; Canon gave them the runaround on not being able to find the part too. In one thread I saw the person said that when they change the pentaprism aligning the Transmissive LCD is not something they normally bother doing. My hope was that by giving the name of the exact part and a detailed description they'd be able to sort it all out with little to no problems.

I've sent the link Neuro provided as well as relayed what you've mention in this thread - that the Transmissive LCD is likely part of the pentaprism unit as a whole. Thanks for the help.

We'll see on Monday what happens, I guess. If they can't fix it I'm selling this camera. It's honestly been nothing but headaches since I bought it. I inclined to believe I got a lemon in some regards, and Canon technicians can never fix something to match factory specifications.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
RustyTheGeek said:
seemingly helpless and apathetic.

It sort of a no-win situation. For many reasons, this being one of the biggies, I prefer to perform my own repairs, service, etc whenever possible. But fixing my $3500 DSLR isn't something I really want to do if others are more experienced and good at it.

Good luck getting your camera back ASAP and working like new again!

I feel exactly the same way. Car, motorcycles, computers...I'll fix em' all myself! Changing a pentaprism and making sure everything is in alignment is not something I can easily do without the right know-how and tools, unfortunately. And of course, when I do have to depend on someone else's work I'm immediately disappointed. Such is life, I guess.

I will say that the CPS representative I'm speaking to on the phone is a very nice lady. She tries very hard to listen and understand the problem.

Upvote 0
Believe me, I sympathize... My own approach is to try, try, try to describe the problem as accurately and exactly as possible, and then let them fix it... My mother always told me, "Johnny, don't tell a surgeon how to operate."
And I also learned that it really IS possible to take out one's own appendix; but it is less painful and messy to hire a surgeon to do it for you.
I myself have had very good luck with California's CPS, though in truth I have never sent them complex problems. ...
Again, I sympathize...

Upvote 0