Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; margin: 70px 0 0 0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/1ds-mark-iv-5d-mark-iii-cr0-5/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 -50px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/1ds-mark-iv-5d-mark-iii-cr0-5/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/09/1ds-mark-iv-5d-mark-iii-cr0-5/"></a></div>
<strong>Spec lists

</strong>I just wrote in the last post that I wouldn’t post detailed spec lists because they’re rarely, if ever true.</p>
<p>However, it looks like <strong>[<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_1DS_MkIV.html">NL</a>]</strong> received the same email we did. I’ll post the spec list now for your entertainment.</p>
<p><strong>5D Mark III</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>24MP</li>
<li>Pro grade AF (not 7D like)</li>
<li>2 stops better ISO than 5D mk II</li>
<li>Digic V</li>
<li>6 fps</li>
<li>New video codec, not Raw. MPEG 4:2:2, new video functions such as tracking focus in video mode</li>
<li>Compact body with improved weather sealed</li>
<li>Same introduction price as the predecessor</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>1Ds Mark IV</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>54MP (no low pass filter)</li>
<li>Decent 6400 ISO performance</li>
<li>Same AF as 1D Mark IV</li>
<li>14 stops DR</li>
<li>16 bit Raw file (mode to be confirmed)</li>
<li>Digic V</li>
<li>Limited new HD video function in comparison with the 5D III</li>
</ul>
<p>New GPS and wireless device accessories will be introduced around the same time.</p>
<p><strong>Other bits of information from the same email.</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>All current L lens  can perform at the level of the 1Ds sensor resolution,there is no low pass filter in front of the sensor  and there is  digital on/off software switch to reduce moire.</li>
<li>Video function in the new 1Ds is not as  complete  as the one on  the 5D mk II and due the massive data reading of the sensor there is  no MPEG  4:2:2 coded.</li>
<li>It seems that in one of the prototype there was an option to shoot 16bit Raw  files that this option cut  down dramatically the fps.</li>
<li>It’s rumored that Canon will also announced one zoom and 2 prime lens with the Ds camera.</li>
</ul>
<p>As I said earlier, I’m not a big fan or believer of  in-depth spec lists on cameras that are still more than a month away from announcement. If I didn’t post this, I’d get a ton of emails since it appeared on another popular rumor site. Rock and a hard place sort of thing.</p>
<p>Check the previous post for something I think is a bit more believable. I do hope some of you can point out any obvious flaws in this spec list that I have overlooked. Have fun!</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Canon Rumors said:
New GPS and wireless device accessories will be introduced around the same time.

Here's to hoping it's some sort of reasonably priced modular system; either in body, or in the case of the 5DIII, in a battery grip. Either GPS or wireless would easily fit in a form factor similar to an SD card. Maybe give two modular bays on 1-series cameras, one on 5-series body plus one additional in a battery grip. I could see at least four obvious applications for modules. GPS, WiFi, Data Verification, and High Volume Workflow (Bluetooth to associate a barcode scanner, etc., like the 7DSV).

Meh... Perhaps it makes too much sense to actually happen.

Upvote 0
L

lagmaster_FUNK

dilbert said:
lagmaster_FUNK said:
54MP?

Assuming square pixels, FF area of 864mm^2:
sqrt(864mm^2/54000000Px) = 4 micron pixels.
Not 4.##, but exactly 4. Suspicious.

Similarly, for 24MP sensor, pixels are _exactly_ 6 microns.

What you're missing is that the megapixel counts are never exactly "000,000".

21MP ends up being 21,123,456 or some other odd number. Thus the "suspicion" in the "exactly" 4 or 6 microns is a result of your math assuming perfect numbers that won't exist in reality.

I understand that, but lets assume 54MP is between 53 and 55 MP - that makes the pixel size bounds 4.03 to 3.96 microns. For 23-25MP, thats 6.12 to 5.87 microns. These bounds are extremely narrow around the nice, even numbers given in the spec.
Existing Canon DSLR sensor pixel sizes are far away from any even/comfortable number - 5d ~6.40, 7d ~4.31, and 1d4 ~5.68
So, I'm just saying that the particular resolution numbers when presented as a pair like in this rumor, are dubious.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
5D Mark III
* 2 stops better ISO than 5D mk II

Take a look at how DxOMark scores have evolved. I'm calling BS on this. The Nikon D5100 is only about 1 stop better than the aging (2003) Canon Rebel. The (2005) 5D classic still soundly beats any APS-C sensor, and the 5D mark II gained a little less than half a stop.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
elflord said:
Canon Rumors said:
5D Mark III

Take a look at how DxOMark scores have evolved. I'm calling BS on this. The Nikon D5100 is only about 1 stop better than the aging (2003) Canon Rebel. The (2005) 5D classic still soundly beats any APS-C sensor, and the 5D mark II gained a little less than half a stop.
I think there might be a misinterpretation at this point - not 2 stops better ISO, but 2 stops higher ISO. Which means that sensitivity is expandable up to ISO 102,400

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ecka said:
elflord said:
Canon Rumors said:
5D Mark III

I think there might be a misinterpretation at this point - not 2 stops better ISO, but 2 stops higher ISO. Which means that sensitivity is expandable up to ISO 102,400

That's how I interpreted it - 'better' as Canon defines it, i.e. 'more' and not 'higher quality'.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
ecka said:
elflord said:
Canon Rumors said:
5D Mark III

That's how I interpreted it - 'better' as Canon defines it, i.e. 'more' and not 'higher quality'.
Exactly ;)

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
wockawocka said:
Maybe in order to separate the lines more the 1D will go full frame and the 1Ds Medium format.
This doesn't make much sense to me. Medium format body would have to use different lenses on a different mount. Then why using the 1Ds name on it?
I agree that Canon should make MF cameras, even Pentax has one ;D

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
jsixpack said:
It sounds good, but so good I'm a bit suspicious, more "wish list" like then "reality"...or at least it's too good and if I thought it were real I'd probably get disappointed when it isn't

Two things bother me about the 5D Mark III list...upon casual observation.
1. The terse comment "Pro Grade AF (not like 7D)....just the wording makes me think this is made up...like the guy has a beef about the autofocus situation (which is lackluster).. on the 5DMark II and is just venting.
2. When has ANY camera manufacturer introduced a new up-graded sucessor to a camera body with many new features and kept the price the same. Now that is a pipe dream.

This just sounds to me like someones disgruntled pipe dream. Nothing more.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ecka said:
infared said:
2. When has ANY camera manufacturer introduced a new up-graded sucessor to a camera body with many new features and kept the price the same. Now that is a pipe dream.

How about 5D Mark II ? I has lots of new features (improvement) compared to 5D classic.

Wrong. :p The 5DII wasn't the same introduction price as the original 5D. It was $500 cheaper...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.