Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>“Total Garbage”………</strong>

….. that’s what I was told by a good source in regards to the recent murmurs about an imminent 1Ds Mark IV announcement.</p>
<p>The 1Ds Mark IV has been an <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2010/02/whats-coming-next-week-cr2/">achilles heel</a> of mine, I am very cautious to post anything in regards to the camera.</p>
<p>The 1Ds Mark IV is a 2012 camera the source says, the final product has not yet been settled. There are 2 prototypes floating around.</p>
<p>I haven’t received the same info that I have in the past right before a big camera launch, I tend to think the 1Ds 4 isn’t coming in 2 weeks.</p>
<p><strong>5D Mark III</strong>

Spring 2011 announcement? Summer availability? 28mp?</p>
<p>That’s the latest on that one.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r </strong>

I guess the 1Ds4 rumor is really running wild.

Don't know what those guys at Canon are thinking about, but I think there's several points we should watch regarding the 1Ds4 and 5D3 situation.

1. 5D vs. 1Ds: I think the problem is pretty obvious with the backlash with the 5D2 release from 1Ds3 users. You got a affordable FF (albeit not as good in AF, FPS, weather-seal, etc.) within a short time after the release of the professional camera. Given this escapade, would Canon do the same thing again, or will they have some sure mechansim in place to ensure this does not happen again (like drag out the time/cycle between the 2)?

2. 5D3 vs. D800: Yeah, we all know the D800 should be out sometimes this year. While Nikonites might disagree, the 5D2 definitely took a significant bite in the Megapixel race and video capabilities. Since 5D2 has the lead, I would assume Canon would tend toward waiting and to let D800 make the first move (unless they're so confident with their product that they believe releasing it early on would leave their competitors way behind). Of course, there's also the D4 vs. 1Ds4 flagship model competition... though I think that has less of a impact on the mass consumer market.

Just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010
ronderick said:
I guess the 1Ds4 rumor is really running wild.

Don't know what those guys at Canon are thinking about, but I think there's several points we should watch regarding the 1Ds4 and 5D3 situation.

2. 5D3 vs. D800: Yeah, we all know the D800 should be out sometimes this year. While Nikonites might disagree, the 5D2 definitely took a significant bite in the Megapixel race and video capabilities. Since 5D2 has the lead, I would assume Canon would tend toward waiting and to let D800 make the first move (unless they're so confident with their product that they believe releasing it early on would leave their competitors way behind). Of course, there's also the D4 vs. 1Ds4 flagship model competition... though I think that has less of a impact on the mass consumer market.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm a Canonite and I disagree, while true the 5DII took a significant lead in MP & Video neither of these gives the crown to Canon. The build quality, af & fps of the 5DII are a couple of generations behind the D700. Even with the large MP advantage, the IQ of the 5DII & D700 are very, very close. In my opinion, Nikon has a clear upgrade path with the D800. All Nikon needs to do is up the MP, add video and maybe move to dual card slots and they have a competitive body, the af is already top notch and their body is capable of shooting 8fps gripped. I would also give a slight edge in high ISO to Nikon as well. Canon has alot of work to do which is probably why the 5DIII is taking so long to drop, Nikon has given the option of a fast, ff, weather-sealed body at the same price point as the 5D series. Those of us looking to move to ff for our next upgrade have a tough decision to make...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AJ said:
First, put the flagship technology into an expensive package and sell it to the pros. Then water it down just a little and sell it to the masses.

This has sort of been Canon's strategy in the past, with both the 1DsII and 5D then the 1DsIII and 5DII. But, it's a valid point that Canon may change that model, especially if their data show that the 5DII cannibalized a lot of 1DsIII sales and they want to avoid that in the future.

Also, that really applies to price points and some aspects of technology. Keep in mind that video was first introduced in the 5DII, not a 1-series body.

Upvote 0
It's going to be interesting to see which way Canon and Nikon are going to move with the 5D Mk2 and D700 successors. I think that both of them will be concerned about the way that the previous models cannablised sales of their top-of-the-line cameras. Canon's use of the original 5D's outdated AF system speaks for itself, but I think the lack of a D700x or D700s does as well.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that there will be no 1Ds Mk4 until 2012. That would be Olympic year, which would be the time to release a new 1D series (OK -a bit early), but not the high megapixel "studio" variant. Unless the rumours of a merging of the 1D and 1Ds lines into a single product are true, but then why discontinue the 1Ds Mk3 now (assuming the latter rumour is true)?

I don't think we'll see either the 5D Mk3 or the D800 until the 1Ds Mk4 and D4 are released, unless Canon and Nikon intend to use a different sensor on their lower-tier full frame bodies than on their flagship models (not likely, but I suppose Canon did it before with the 1Ds Mk2 and the original 5D).

Upvote 0
unruled said:
polpaulin said:
If Canon goes in pro bodies with too much MP I shall sell all my Canon gear
I am waiting now for a decent 1Ds PRO body , with a new generation sensor low ISO (25 or 50)

I don't pay 6000 euros for compact IQ in a pro body, they have done the 7D for that
curiosity: what do you do that warrants iso 25 or 50?

For one thing very low ISO helps you shoot shallow DOF in bright light in video, where you are stuck at 1/50 - 1/60 sec. The ability to go to ISO 2 would be handy, unless they implement on-board ND filters.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Etienne said:
For one thing very low ISO helps you shoot shallow DOF in bright light in video, where you are stuck at 1/50 - 1/60 sec. The ability to go to ISO 2 would be handy, unless they implement on-board ND filters.

Low ISO (e.g. 50 on the 5DII) also helps with wide open still pictures in daylight portraiture. For that, I use optical ND filters (usually a B+W 3-stop does the trick). Is there some reason an actual ND filter on the front of the lens wouldn't work for video?

Not sure how 'on-board ND filters' could be implemented. I've got them on some microscopes, with levers to flip them in or out of the light path - but a microscope is a lot bigger than a dSLR - where in the light path would you suggest ND filters be placed? Or do you mean some sort of digital ND filter? If so, Canon beat you to that - it's called ISO 50 (which is really ISO 100 pushed a stop).

Upvote 0
polpaulin said:
neuroanatomist said:
Low ISO (e.g. 50 on the 5DII)
NO !
50 ISO = Hasselblad or Leaf (even 25 ISO) or Phaseone, there is actually NO DSLR with 50 ISO

you get a real IQ with 50 ISO and no AA filter on the field

It doesn't matter for video, and it's very handy.
ND filters are built into Video cams, I don't know the technology, but they would be welcome in a 5DIII.
Videographers use vari-ND lens filters now, typically 2 - 8 stops.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.