1DX II - 4k Video - Stills

Jan 29, 2011
The real issue with stills from video is the difference in optimal shutter speeds for the two different outputs. Stills generally demand much higher shutter speeds than is optimal for video so you are kind of stuck at capture, you can shoot video with stills settings with the intention of extracting from the 60fps, or you can shoot good looking video at 60fps, the two rarely align.

Upvote 0
The real issue with stills from video is the difference in optimal shutter speeds for the two different outputs. Stills generally demand much higher shutter speeds than is optimal for video so you are kind of stuck at capture, you can shoot video with stills settings with the intention of extracting from the 60fps, or you can shoot good looking video at 60fps, the two rarely align.

That is such as good point. I'm shooting soccer for my sons college recruitment video. I have been taking the 4k video at 1/125 and stopped down significantly. My photos are generally 1/1000 or faster @ 2.8. So instead of sharp photos with a shallow DOF, I'll get blurry photos and virtually infinite DOF. Even if I kick up the shutter speed and sacrificed the video quality a little, I'll still have way too much DOF. I knew it sounded to good to be true!!! Please share if you think I got this wrong... Appreciate your post. Thank you!

Upvote 0
After only taking pictures for years, I have started to take a little video. I know I can take stills in camera from 4k video but can I do the same "out of" camera (e.g. Premiere Pro...)?

Have a GREAT day!
tom
Recently, there was an episode on DPReview TV titled: "understanding 4K and 6K Photo modes on your camera" discussing your question. I found it informative.

Upvote 0