1dx is it all hype or the camera we have been waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2011
I was just wondering why canon would announce a camera so far in the future without being able to deliver? Is it prevent more people to defecting to Nikon when the D4 ships much earlier? I have enjoyed all of my canon gear very much, including the "dreaded" 1d mark III which i never had issues with in the least way, but i have to admit i have been tempted by the low light performance of the D3s. I wouldn't just ship entirely but there are many times i could use that kind of low noise high ISO performance. Esp in uptight catholic church weddings where even diplomatic use of flash is discouraged.

Has anyone really seen any high iso samples from a 1DX yet?

Don't get me wrong, i love my canon gear and have had wonderful experiences with canon service. I just was wondering what canon actually has up there sleeve with the 1dx :)

There are several recent threads on this topic. My two cents are it comes down to their marketing strategy and while I wish I had a 1DX now and not in a few months, I think their strategy has worked. They've generated a lot of hype. Having said that, the 1DX better live up to the hype or Canon will find themselves in big trouble with all the negativity and backlash that would come from the 1DX not living up to expectations.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
bigblue1ca said:
There are several recent threads on this topic. My two cents are it comes down to their marketing strategy and while I wish I had a 1DX now and not in a few months, I think their strategy has worked. They've generated a lot of hype. Having said that, the 1DX better live up to the hype or Canon will find themselves in big trouble with all the negativity and backlash that would come from the 1DX not living up to expectations.
Much agreed, I don't think a third flagship sports camera in a row trumped Nikon's flagship sports camera would be very good at all for Canons dominance in the market.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
I do hope it is the camera we have been waiting for because if it's not, Canon has more to loose then we have! I can always sell my lenses if ever I feel they really missed the boat (which will not happen but anyway), however Canon might loose a lot of customers and they are not able to compete with Nikon's new line of camera.

I am confident Canon will get this right and while they followed a different Marketing strategy then Nikon (nothing wrong with that) I think the 1DX may actually be the better machine here compared to the D4 on several aspect (...like the AF - yes I know about the f8 thing but I think they did this to create a better system overall...)...

I am getting one anyway...will be much better then what exist today...

Upvote 0
I think The Majors said it best back in 1962:

Last night I had
a wonderful dream about you
Last night I had a dream
hope that it will come true

We were all alone
you told me that you cared
And I never will forget
how happy I was that we were there

Last night I had a wonderful dream
And now that I'm alone with you
My wonderful dream will come true
(sho bop-be-wops a wonderful dream)
(sho bop-be-wops a wonderful dream)

I don't really care why they made such an announcement; as I've said before I'm sure the marketing satans are behind it. When I see a real product I'll make a judgement about it.

Until then, it's a wonderful dream.....(sho bop-be-wops a wonderful dream)

Upvote 0
cpsico said:
I was just wondering why canon would announce a camera so far in the future without being able to deliver?

This interview (translation) is with the 1D X engineers from Japan. They admit to their consideration of Nikon, Olympics, and pro customers.

"... Timing of the 1D X announcement was to quell questions about the 1Ds replacement and to warn pros before the Olympics, and in consideration of Nikon, which they consider to be their biggest competitor when it comes to pros..."

Upvote 0
Not that I'll have the pennies to buy a 1D X, but how can anyone hope to answer this question definitively until they are able to get their hands on a production camera?

FWIW the 1D X looks like it will be a more significant development for Canon users than the D4 will be for Nikon users, but that's mainly because the D3s is already such a good camera. What Canon shooters are currently lacking and what the 1D X looks like it will address, is the need for a fast shooting camera that has really clean high ISO capabilities. Whilst the 1D MkIV was good, it was not in D3s territory (and according to DXO Mark, not in 5D MkII territory either).

Upvote 0
This is sort of a loaded question.

Mainly because the 1D-X or ANY camera no matter how much 1 person loves it will be good enough for everyone.

I for one don't need 14fps shooting or any of those features but i like the form factor, low light and the video capabilities.

Would i use the Ethernet connection.....NO, would i have preferred to see maybe a thunderbolt port added and headphone jack...YES.

It all comes down to the personal choice. You will either love it of hate it.

As for the marketing hype.... well thats marketing.
They will always need to make the camera look like the next big thing you need now, otherwise people will always be holding off for the next generation which will be bigger and better and faster etc, but eventually will never live up to expectations.

On saying all that, would i buy one and put up with the limitations it has for what i shoot, HELL YES!, because despite its limitations its still a freaking amazing piece of kit.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
traveller said:
FWIW the 1D X looks like it will be a more significant development for Canon users than the D4 will be for Nikon users, but that's mainly because the D3s is already such a good camera. What Canon shooters are currently lacking and what the 1D X looks like it will address, is the need for a fast shooting camera that has really clean high ISO capabilities. Whilst the 1D MkIV was good, it was not in D3s territory (and according to DXO Mark, not in 5D MkII territory either).

You are bang on traveller, this is for sure one area we are looking the 1DX to address. I think there will be others though that will be equally important like its new AF system and metering system (poeple keep forgeting that this alone will be powered by a DIGIT 4 processor!!!) to name a few...

With the D4 at 16MP and the 1DX at 18MP, I cant see how their respective ISO performance would be light years away - I mean once fix the pixel size, I am sure each engineering team have had much time to think how to process the data to provide a good ISO performance. Canon kept talking about the 1DX and its new revolutionary processor, they must did something right!

At least we all hope right! ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I can't say it's the camera 'we' have been waiting for...but it is the camera I have been waiting for. Better than 7D AF and frame rate, better than 5DII ISO performance (presumably, although I'd settle for equivalent), and better ergonomics than both (especially the joystick for portrait orientation).

Is it missing anything? For me, the big missing feature is enough MP for an APS-C 'crop mode' with 12 MP or more. Accordingly, I'll be keeping my 7D for birds/wildlife. Secondarily, f/8 AF - and I'll admit I was hoping for that to use a 100-400mm or 400/5.6 with a 1.4x TC to compensate for the crop factor of the 7D; that just confirms that what I really need is the 500/4 II, for which I'll start saving after getting the 1D X (and perhaps the 24-70 II if that comes out).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I can't say it's the camera 'we' have been waiting for...but it is the camera I have been waiting for. Better than 7D AF and frame rate, better than 5DII ISO performance (presumably, although I'd settle for equivalent), and better ergonomics than both (especially the joystick for portrait orientation).

Is it missing anything? For me, the big missing feature is enough MP for an APS-C 'crop mode' with 12 MP or more. Accordingly, I'll be keeping my 7D for birds/wildlife. Secondarily, f/8 AF - and I'll admit I was hoping for that to use a 100-400mm or 400/5.6 with a 1.4x TC to compensate for the crop factor of the 7D; that just confirms that what I really need is the 500/4 II, for which I'll start saving after getting the 1D X (and perhaps the 24-70 II if that comes out).

Neuro - I think you and I are looking for the same thing. I have a 7D for sports and wildlife and a 5DII for everything else. It would be great to have a single body that had the best qualities of both (autofocus and ISO). It seems, from what I can gather, that the 1D4 doesn't have quite as good ISO performance as the 5DII. Is that your impression as well? I have thought about getting a 1D4 (hopefully if the prices drop) after the 1DX comes out and selling both the 7D and 5DII. Have you intentionally passed on the 1D4 because of the ISO performance?

Upvote 0
A

aeturnum

It seems pretty clear that Canon was reacting to Nikon's announcement, but I think it makes a lot of sense from their perspective. The announcement isn't about generating sales, so much as reassuring people who use Canon's pro cameras that a new model is coming. The last flagship camera model was released in 2007, which was a long time ago in terms of technology. The announcement reassures pro photographers that a new model is coming soon and lets them know where Canon is going in terms of features.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
aeturnum said:
It seems pretty clear that Canon was reacting to Nikon's announcement.

Reacting to WHAT announcement? The one Nikon made a couple of months later??

The Nikon and Canon bodies will be available within a few weeks of each other, this is not a long time as was noted.

Since neither is available yet, we only have approximate availability dates to go by, and either or both might slide.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
acoll123 said:
Have you intentionally passed on the 1D4 because of the ISO performance?

Not really. More that I wasn't keen on the APS-H compromise, lack of UWA, etc. APS-C is best when focal length-limited, FF is best when not. APS-H is very good for both, but best for neither.

briansquibb said:
acoll123 said:
It seems, from what I can gather, that the 1D4 doesn't have quite as good ISO performance as the 5DII. Is that your impression as well?

Definitely not mine! The 1D4 is comfortable about 1 stop more than the 5DII

Is that based on testing, or an impression? For ISO noise, DxOMark ranks the 5DII a little less than 1/2-stop better than the 1DIV. I haven't tested that, but they rank the 5DII a little less than 1.33-stops better than the 7D - and that aligns well with my empirical testing. The 1DIV clearly surpasses the 7D for ISO, but I think you're among the few who believe it bests the 5DII.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
acoll123 said:
Have you intentionally passed on the 1D4 because of the ISO performance?

Not really. More that I wasn't keen on the APS-H compromise, lack of UWA, etc. APS-C is best when focal length-limited, FF is best when not. APS-H is very good for both, but best for neither.

briansquibb said:
acoll123 said:
It seems, from what I can gather, that the 1D4 doesn't have quite as good ISO performance as the 5DII. Is that your impression as well?

Definitely not mine! The 1D4 is comfortable about 1 stop more than the 5DII

Is that based on testing, or an impression? For ISO noise, DxOMark ranks the 5DII a little less than 1/2-stop better than the 1DIV. I haven't tested that, but they rank the 5DII a little less than 1.33-stops better than the 7D - and that aligns well with my empirical testing. The 1DIV clearly surpasses the 7D for ISO, but I think you're among the few who believe it bests the 5DII.
I love my 5D mkII I have only seen high iOS samples of the 1 d mkIV but it's clear the 5d has better color but the mark IV seems not to band when really pushed. The 5d has a little more shadow noise at low iSO's than even my lowly 1d mkIII with a tad bit more chroma noise, but when it comes to richness of color the 5d markII is really great and with careful post processing high iSO's are wonderful up 3200, provided you have a proper exposure.

Upvote 0
Hype. Unless they doubled the quantum efficiency of the sensor and found a way of packing more electrons into a smaller space than previously possible and reducing the gap between photosites without getting leakage.

It will all look amazing for the first few months, then someone will find out how they are getting such good ISO50000 images and we'll find the catch.

Maybe loosing DR at ISO 100-200, maybe NR on the RAW files, who knows.

No I think the DR and IQ will be another incremental improvement and everyone will rave about the fps and maybe AF for a while, then it will just become another good camera, a bit better than previous models.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.