1DX Mark 1 - Still worth it?

Dear fellow Canonians,

Recently, I've stumbled upon an 1DXmk1 that I would be able to acquire for the amount of 'cheap as chips'. To prevent currency conversion issues, let's say cheaper than a new 80D.
Of course this 1DX has some wear and tear and might need a shutter replacement (or not) in the future. But so far I'm under the assumption that it'll work fine for the forseeable future.
That brings me to the question: is it worth it? It is, of course, a bit long in the tooth. I currently shoot with an 80D and have a 24-70 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II. And a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro. So all my lenses should cover the FF sensor just fine.
What I'll lose is 6MP of resolution and the crop factor on my 80D, both of which are of course quite helpful when shooting animals. Of course I'll gain in AF tracking, frame rate and the overall build quality of an 1DX.

Even though the price is very right, I'm still a bit in doubt, as I wasn't originally planning on buying a second body in the near future. My main concern is that I won't gain any image quality when compared to the 80D, which is an enormously capable camera, especially for its price. Any insights would be very helpful! :)

Jul 30, 2018
Dear fellow Canonians,

Recently, I've stumbled upon an 1DXmk1 that I would be able to acquire for the amount of 'cheap as chips'. To prevent currency conversion issues, let's say cheaper than a new 80D.
Of course this 1DX has some wear and tear and might need a shutter replacement (or not) in the future. But so far I'm under the assumption that it'll work fine for the forseeable future.
That brings me to the question: is it worth it? It is, of course, a bit long in the tooth. I currently shoot with an 80D and have a 24-70 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II. And a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro. So all my lenses should cover the FF sensor just fine.
What I'll lose is 6MP of resolution and the crop factor on my 80D, both of which are of course quite helpful when shooting animals. Of course I'll gain in AF tracking, frame rate and the overall build quality of an 1DX.

Even though the price is very right, I'm still a bit in doubt, as I wasn't originally planning on buying a second body in the near future. My main concern is that I won't gain any image quality when compared to the 80D, which is an enormously capable camera, especially for its price. Any insights would be very helpful! :)

Honestly, I have been using a friend's 1Dx for the last few months. It does very well in low light and my event photos at ISO6400 have imperceptible noise using the available stage light. It's a treat to not have to do any NR in post. However, I feel that my 7D MkII and the 5DMkIV acquire focus quicker in my birds in flight imaging in daylight. The frame rate is much better than my 5DMkIV but compared to the 7D MkII it's not that significant. I can get much better wing positions than on my 5DMkIV but having used the 1Dx MkII on loan from CPS, I am not going to spend my money on an old 1Dx. I am patiently waiting for the Olympic 2020 offerings from Canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Been using my 1DX for years - I haven't found a worthwhile replacement yet. Yes the Mk2 is better but not much + it is much more money!
Agreed. I have an M6 when I want small and an R for high IQ when traveling, but mostly use the 1D X (which I preordered before launch in 2012), and feel no need to replace it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The 80D is newer technology than the 1DX and it returns higher IQ at base ISO and not much between them at higher ISO. I wouldn’t see any advantage to the 1DX compared to the 80D you have.

If you shoot primarily at low iso then I absolutely wouldn’t get the 1DX. If you primarily shoot at higher iso then any differences in IQ will be marginal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If you shoot primarily at low iso then I absolutely wouldn’t get the 1DX. If you primarily shoot at higher iso then any differences in IQ will be marginal.
I routinely shoot with both a 1DX and an M6 (similar 24 MP sensor to the 80D). I find the IQ differences significant at high ISO (the OP mentions shooting at 6400, I won’t even go above 3200 in the M6). I turn on DXO Prime NR at ISO 800 on the M6, and ISO 2500 on the 1DX.

At base ISO, the differences between the sensors are minimal. In practical use, the 1DX wins optically because the lenses I use are generally much better (for me, the point of the M line is the small size, which means using EF-M lenses because adapting L-series lenses would defeat the point).

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015

Would that one happen to have 1.3 million actuations on it, perchance, with no reseller warranty...?

To help you out I'd say that the 1DX and 80D are excellent companions, the first for low-light or frame-rate and the second for sheer detail and reach. With the caveat that I haven't shot an 80D but I've heard mostly good things about it. The downside is the lack of battery and card compatibility, particularly when travelling it'd be a nuisance. The 1D series charger is enormous and the 1DX only takes CF cards, no SD slot.

Personally I'd decline a 1DX in that particular state; it has been used hard and if buttons / joysticks are starting to malfunction then it might indicate more serious problems up ahead.

I don't understand why resellers don't send well-use bodies to CPS for a check and overhaul, it'd add a few hundred to the price but would provide buyer-confidence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I routinely shoot with both a 1DX and an M6 (similar 24 MP sensor to the 80D). I find the IQ differences significant at high ISO (the OP mentions shooting at 6400, I won’t even go above 3200 in the M6). I turn on DXO Prime NR at ISO 800 on the M6, and ISO 2500 on the 1DX.

At base ISO, the differences between the sensors are minimal. In practical use, the 1DX wins optically because the lenses I use are generally much better (for me, the point of the M line is the small size, which means using EF-M lenses because adapting L-series lenses would defeat the point).
I find iso acceptability to be closely linked to EV rather then outright value. I can easily accept the IQ of a much higher iso if it was used in brighter conditions to achieve a greater depth of field or faster shutter speed, for instance, and of course all of it is personal and subjective and we all have different priorities and shooting parameters.

For example if I am wanting a high shutter speed for a bird in flight I might be happy with 12,500 iso in good light, but when I am shooting a dark reception I won’t be happy with the detail I get at 6,400 when I am using a much longer shutter speed. I can’t quantify it but maybe it is the contrast ratio or dynamic range.

I don’t believe it was the OP that mentioned 6400 iso but rather beegee the first person to reply.

I’d wager most peoples major first impression when moving from APS fo FF is how different their lenses look, or rather the change in field of view surprises them. As Wormaap tends towards the longer focal lengths I’d wager there could well be a bit of disappointment there.

Upvote 0
First of all: thanks for all the input so far! The body is at 400k clicks and lacks some paint but otherwise looks good. Price is at about a third of the regular going price for a used 1DXmk1 and it's getting a checkup by the store. I'll even get some warranty on everything but the shutter. So for argument's sake, let's assume it'll function as it should. My main interest is in whether or not I'll want to use it. I'll keep the 80D, by the way!

My main concern is with IQ and reach. I'll be losing reach twice, both in the crop factor and in the loss of cropping room by going from 24MP to 18MP. On the other hand, my 24-70 will become more useful/versatile.
In terms of IQ, I have very little to go by. DXOMark appears to prefer the 80D sensor for all but high-ISO, but I'd need to get out there and shoot it for a few days to know whether or not I got what I need.

Main question for IQ is (in my mind, but I'm open to suggestions!): will the fact that the 1DX has a FF-sensor outweigh the fact that it's older and lacks resolution?

My stuff goes all over the place. I love hanging out at the zoo, shooting animal portraits. But I also shoot parties. I have a little studio setup at home and have shot the occasional wedding. Not big on landscape, but that's mainly because I suck at it! I've attached a few pics I shot with the 80D to give an impression.

Would the low-light AF speed and accuracy of the 1DX be better than my 80D? I do get lots of missed shots during parties because the AF simply doesn't manage. I now use the focust assist beam on my flash, but I much prefer using Servo AF with dancers, as they tend to move around quite a bit :)

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_9007.jpg
    IMG_9007.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2427.jpg
    IMG_2427.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 155
  • 634329.jpg
    634329.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 154
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You are going to find the weight difference to be huge, and the grip is very much larger. It might not register on you at first, but carry one with a 70-200L and you'll know the difference. Its a battleship! That makes it a stable platform for snapp[ing off a quick shot, or one with less vibration.

I developed carpal tunnel and had to sell mine. After 3 years, I was healed and bought another, but my wrists wouldn't take it.

Its designed for fast autofocus and a high frame rate, and with larger pixels, it does well in low light at extreme ISO settings.

On the other hand, the dual pixel sensor of the D80 lets you autofocus in very low light, and focuses well with problematic 3rd party lenses.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

First of all: thanks for all the input so far! The body is at 400k clicks and lacks some paint but otherwise looks good. Price is at about a third of the regular going price for a used 1DXmk1 and it's getting a checkup by the store. I'll even get some warranty on everything but the shutter. So for argument's sake, let's assume it'll function as it should. My main interest is in whether or not I'll want to use it. I'll keep the 80D, by the way!

My main concern is with IQ and reach. I'll be losing reach twice, both in the crop factor and in the loss of cropping room by going from 24MP to 18MP. On the other hand, my 24-70 will become more useful/versatile.
In terms of IQ, I have very little to go by. DXOMark appears to prefer the 80D sensor for all but high-ISO, but I'd need to get out there and shoot it for a few days to know whether or not I got what I need.

Main question for IQ is (in my mind, but I'm open to suggestions!): will the fact that the 1DX has a FF-sensor outweigh the fact that it's older and lacks resolution?

My stuff goes all over the place. I love hanging out at the zoo, shooting animal portraits. But I also shoot parties. I have a little studio setup at home and have shot the occasional wedding. Not big on landscape, but that's mainly because I suck at it! I've attached a few pics I shot with the 80D to give an impression.

Would the low-light AF speed and accuracy of the 1DX be better than my 80D? I do get lots of missed shots during parties because the AF simply doesn't manage. I now use the focust assist beam on my flash, but I much prefer using Servo AF with dancers, as they tend to move around quite a bit :)

Currently I use a 1DX and 7D2 and the longest lenses I can get my hands on! Currently a Canon 800 F5.6 L IS and I still want more. The APSC sensor offers a "perceived" advantage - but only in the very best conditions + there is the significantly better AF on the 1DX compared to anything except a 1DX2.

Lets put it this way My 1DX is 5 1/2 years old and the 7D2 about a year younger yet the 1DX has more that 10 times the actuation's on it - guess which I think is the better camera? As to the 80D? Nice camera but the AF is just not up to what I need - great for most users though.

Upvote 0