1DX Mark II - getting the most out of the camera, tips and tricks

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
arthurbikemad said:
To set 1DX2 so AI servo or One shot locks or not use the INFO button when in custom controls.

I'm assuming this is new relative to the 1DX because a lot of people seem to be unaware of it!

Now a question regarding how poor our USM lenses are when trying to vary the speed at which focus locks using the 1DX II for video. Is it just one speed essentially as fast as photo shooting AF?

Jack

Upvote 0
I don't think so. If you choose (in video mode) another point to focus on via the touch function, you will get a nice and smooth (have heard it being called "cinematic") focus change. This is, subjectively, a lot slower than the AF i.e. for BIF.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, not much experience with the video function, but that's my experience.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
LordofTackle said:
I don't think so. If you choose (in video mode) another point to focus on via the touch function, you will get a nice and smooth (have heard it being called "cinematic") focus change. This is, subjectively, a lot slower than the AF i.e. for BIF.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, not much experience with the video function, but that's my experience.

Sure hope so.

It's so dull here for days now that I can't get my AFMA done and I don't feel like playing at ISO 12800. Like a kid at Christmas with new skates and it's -40.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
LordofTackle said:
I can feel with you. Right now, Germany has a "golden autumn", but here at the Lake Constanze we had constant fog for days...and still have.

Sebastian

The sympathy is appreciated! :)

Poor light and poor settings for AFMA but I tried anyway. My 400 X2 is now compensated at -8. I can't get consistent AF but it's definitely that or -7, -9. So, I imagine my sharpness complaints on the few birds I shot will disappear.

Question - I've been using strength 3 in unsharp mask, DPP. Is that as high as one would normally want to go, and also what about fineness and threshold?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Poor light and poor settings for AFMA but I tried anyway. My 400 X2 is now compensated at -8. I can't get consistent AF but it's definitely that or -7, -9. So, I imagine my sharpness complaints on the few birds I shot will disappear.

Question - I've been using strength 3 in unsharp mask, DPP. Is that as high as one would normally want to go, and also what about fineness and threshold?

You probably won't be able to tell the difference of a +/-1 AFMA.

I often go for a 4/4/4 USM in DPP. I find that tuning fineness and threshold sometimes have a bigger impact than the strength. Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks kaihp and Sue. Birds as Art is amazing.

The problem with these customizations is not the camera, it's the brain behind the camera that can't remember: the setting chosen, why it was chosen, how to use it quickly, and how to modify it so that it corrects an undesirable response.

I have managed to set up AF with AF-ON using the sub-menu for AI servo, and * as one-shot. I think the lower of the two front buttons would be good for another AF choice since my finger practically sits right on it.

Am wondering what the popular choice is for AF illumination? Also any tips on the Q menu usage and setup that is best.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack Douglas said:
LordofTackle said:

Sure hope so.

It's so dull here for days now that I can't get my AFMA done and I don't feel like playing at ISO 12800. Like a kid at Christmas with new skates and it's -40.

Jack

Can't recall who suggested only stm lenses would focus smoothly and slowly but here is the Canon word:

"USM lenses marketed in 2009 or later and STM support slow focus transition during movie shooting."

So, I personally don't have anything to worry about. I hope!

I'm too busy to have tried much with the camera. The little I've tried I seem to always have something set incorrectly. For example, I set the drive for max 3 shots so I wouldn't be excessive when fooling with the camera initially and then a bird flies by and I wonder why I couldn't get more than 1 shot (actually 3 but it happened so fast for a few seconds I imagined it was just 1). I'm thinking what's the matter with the shutter button. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but here goes. Today I discovered that I can have the camera set for both shutter button and two back buttons (AF ON, *) auto focus. With large zone, for example, selected, I get that with the shutter and spot with expansion, either servo or one-shot, using the back buttons, which over-ride the shutter focus mode. I'm thinking BIF could benefit from this versatility??

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Good, eh?

Apparently once you have set them you can save that group of settings to a custom function then redo them all and save that group to another custom function.

I can see this useful if for example you are shooting primarily birds in flight against the sky (zone focus) and a single button push will switch to point focus if the bird flies across a more confusing background.
Set them reverse if (for example) you are concentrating on perched birds and want quick, temporary switch to zone focus.

I will be trying this with my 7D2 in the near future.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Good, eh?

Apparently once you have set them you can save that group of settings to a custom function then redo them all and save that group to another custom function.

I can see this useful if for example you are shooting primarily birds in flight against the sky (zone focus) and a single button push will switch to point focus if the bird flies across a more confusing background.
Set them reverse if (for example) you are concentrating on perched birds and want quick, temporary switch to zone focus.

I will be trying this with my 7D2 in the near future.

That's what I have in mind Mike but all these options are taxing me to keep it all straight. There still are the other two front buttons to alter the selected/starting focus point.

So, what I need now is someone who has shot a lot of different bird scenarios to suggest the settings that I might go with. As soon as I start doing this I get confused.

It's cool seeing various red focus points lighting up here and there on a subject - guess I've said before how I love the illuminated points! :)

Has anyone been able to save a different AFMA setting to C1...C3, say you want some back focus on a whole body BIF flying by you, or is that destined to failure?

Jack

Upvote 0