1DX - very slight vertical play

I've noticed my 70-200 is slightly loose on my 1DX. A little bit of rotational play, which I understand is normal. However there seems to be a very slight amount of vertical play. If I grab the lens hood and body and sort of tilt up and down between the two, you can see the play between the mounts (again, a small amount...) Also, just holding the 1DX and slightly shaking it around, it sounds loose. I'm test driving a 300mm 2.8 right now and notice it does the exact same thing. So, if there is an actual problem, I'm assuming it's the body. Does it sound like there's something wrong? Or is my OCD just kicking into hyper drive:eek:. Cheers!

Jul 21, 2010
Have you checked the tightness of the mount screws on the 70-200 (I've read reports of them loosening over time, although that hasn't happened with my 70-200/2.8L IS II). The combo with my 1D X has that slight rotational play, but nothing translational. As for shaking the combo, if you just shake the lens itself the IS group will actually move slightly, which results in a loose feel/sound.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
The mounts on the cameras do wear and even deform. If you have access to a dial indicator, you can check the runout, if you can even measure any, I'd have Canon check it, 1/10000 inch tolerances are involved. Canon had a patent come out a couple of years back to address the wear issue.
For this, flatness or profile would seem to be the concern, not runout.

Upvote 0