1dx2 video file - odd behavior

Sep 29, 2012
I recorded 2 each.....30 min sessions in a club... \
[ edit....hd ...not 4k ]
on 1dx2 cfast 64 gig....
the two files showed 6.6 gig and 6.3 gig...
used cfast reader to copy files to hard drive of laptop windows 8.1
read/played the two files on laptop

...so far so good...

now when I tried to copy those two larger videos to an empty 32gig sd card ...or even BACK to the cfast card ...said not enough space
the smallet test videos copie... and played all around.... everywhere ok...
2 big files no go..
now I copied the 2 ....6 gig files to a spinning usb 3.0 travel drive and ok....
files played from there also...

I dont understan what is up here.. are there some hidden file issues ...ones that dont always get moved?... I seem to hear a voice telling me that...

/////

this is latest 1dx2 with the cfast 'patch' from factory and reader and card are sandisk ...part of premium kit...

///////

I dont need this heartache to come up in the middle of important recording so ..
I need to figure this out...

usually I am on this stuff... but quite puzzled here.

help is welcomed

thanks for your input
Tom

headed back to prophoto to see whats up...soon....

I may be stupid here but don't understand the question.

1- You say you can record the files, transfer them to a computer using CFast reader. Then where's the problem in your workflow? You import these files into a video editor and go.

2- So is the question: Why can't you copy the files from the camera to the computer then copy the files BACK to the CARD?

If so, this is a memory card specific matter and you'd be better off asking in more technical sites than here on why you can't copy files ONTO a CFast Card.

By the way, in all my Canon DSLRs, when using the bundled USB cable, it's also impossible to copy something to the card. I needed to buy a third party reader to be able to put Magic Lantern files on it. This issue might be relevant of complete waste of text :)

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
Josh Denver

I shot some footage for a musician friend..
he will edit on his Mac...later...pull some clips he wants...
he came by to get the two files....
I had a 32 gig sd card handy... wouldnt 'take' them...
so CFast was sitting there so I tried to copy back to that same card it came from..
nope.... smaller test videos ...ok...they moved...

so I lent him a 1000 gig spin back up USB 3 drive...
and he went home ... and edited them...successfully

I believe the problem with sd WAS 4 gig limit FAT32...

beyond that .... have not done further fiddling with CFast....

I might I am a bit skittish about my 1dx2 AND about CFAST card tech...
I had a very early 1dx2 and it crashed dead... I also DID see that CFast issue they patched..
now I have a new 1dx2 ...again... and this is the first video I recorded...

so not all as simple as it seems... a few other historic variables that I hoped were not connected...

hope that lets you understand my thinking... and caution..
not wanting to create...an important ...but possible unreachable video file ...later...

cheers...my friend
thanks for the comments....

Upvote 0
TommyLee said:
Josh Denver

I shot some footage for a musician friend..
he will edit on his Mac...later...pull some clips he wants...
he came by to get the two files....
I had a 32 gig sd card handy... wouldnt 'take' them...
so CFast was sitting there so I tried to copy back to that same card it came from..
nope.... smaller test videos ...ok...they moved...

so I lent him a 1000 gig spin back up USB 3 drive...
and he went home ... and edited them...successfully

I believe the problem with sd WAS 4 gig limit FAT32...

beyond that .... have not done further fiddling with CFast....

I might I am a bit skittish about my 1dx2 AND about CFAST card tech...
I had a very early 1dx2 and it crashed dead... I also DID see that CFast issue they patched..
now I have a new 1dx2 ...again... and this is the first video I recorded...

so not all as simple as it seems... a few other historic variables that I hoped were not connected...

hope that lets you understand my thinking... and caution..
not wanting to create...an important ...but possible unreachable video file ...later...

cheers...my friend
thanks for the comments....

Perhaps the language is the barrier here but your problem seems to be that:

-You cannot copy BACK the files after you copied them successfully to your computer? If so. It's hardly an issue. Nobody uses cards as handouts that I know of. And I am professional video shooter. Cards are just off loaded to computer, and put in the camera -> shoot the gig -> format in camera for next shoot.

You seem to be concerned about the files? I have heard zero complaints on any 1DXII video files issues. It just works like any other previous Canon DSLR in 1080p. Just like the lowest 1100D! And yes the 1100D to 1Dx are all 100% reliable when it comes to data corruption.

In 4K, yes that's a problem for lots of people for memory eating and storage.

But all very reliable. The most reliable on the market really. Don't be afraid. Just shoot!

Shoot and shoot as you wish but buy a few cheap flash memory sticks around you if you to hand over files. It's the only and best way to get things done.

I hope this helps Tommy

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
josh

what I did learn ... and will share...is that the sd card limits of ~4gigs
was ...of course FAT32 limits.... and the solution was to format as exFAT...
that simple..

when my friend comes over and forgets to bring his flash drive or a mem stick to pick up his files I shot...
when he is already here... then I reach for a card.....something ...for him to carry the files home...
..so he isn't inconvienienced...
so the sd card is QUITE useful...and certainly part of its intended purpose..
which I get to assign as I please........... herewith... a travel drive
after making suitable arrangements in the format... which I forgot....
if that is all there is for storage...then its enough....isn't it?

and a good match for the not so usual... circumstances....

I am glad to be enlightened by finding.... WHY.... to a number of things here
with a little experimentation ..and exploration...

I learned that I already knew most of the issues.. they just escaped me ..when they arrived as a surprise...
....and THAT....brought up the memories and momentary worry of the 1dx2 file corruption issue on the sandisk Cfast cards ...
but they patched that with a firmware release.... as you likely noticed.

//////////

thanks for the thoughtful comments.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
What I have learned from this thread for myself personally is to not to jump to conclusions and resist being judgmental. It's so easy to presume things that may not be true.

It's nice when CR threads can share exchanges without hostilities creeping in even though there are differences of opinion. Since I will soon have my 1DX II I'm watching all the related threads hoping to learn a lot in short order! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0