1DXMKIII - Just OK

Nov 1, 2012
Four days with the camera and our firm is going to hold off on placing our staff with the new cameras. We are surprised with the noise and virtually no increase in picture/image quality.

We have soft and oof shots that exceed what's acceptable, plus noise at 800 ISO we dont have on our MKII'S. We tried a few color charts and find the awb to be less than desired.

This camera is not ready.

I was chatting with my friend who got one, and he said noise is much better than Mk2 and pictures are sharper and better colors.

Sounds like you got faulty camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I don't mean to be harsh.... but cameras/sensors do have color differences. A Fuji GFX 100 and Hasselblad 400C both exhibit different characteristics. If by some magic the 1DXMKIII is different than any other camera/ sensor in the world by having NO unique characteristics please let us know. It would be the first in history.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I don't mean to be harsh.... but cameras/sensors do have color differences. A Fuji GFX 100 and Hasselblad 400C both exhibit different characteristics. If by some magic the 1DXMKIII is different than any other camera/ sensor in the world by having NO unique characteristics please let us know. It would be the first in history.
I guess the question is, how much different and I think most of us are hard pressed to understand why Canon would purposely alter their sensor characteristics to be so different than the previous, i.e. how different is the 1DX and 1DX2. I guess the LP filter could have factored into this or ??

Jack

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
So many factors here, that even getting down to the PCB's, filters, and sensor structures, are relevant. What Canon optimized and built around for video as engineering/modality factors are also determinants. Now add firmware and it's a witches brew.

Canon got the MKIII wrong. This hybrid still/video product serves pro still very little but video users better.... I do like the Canon surfing promo very much. I know how much work went into this. Great job!

Canon had a chance to dominate and they opted for a mediocre bland nothing burger camera for still photographers who already adopted the MKII.

If IQ is not substantially improved, Canon please don't "bother" us. Some of us make a living taking still photographs, you know us, ask us how we feel and work and then weigh towards video.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
So many factors here, that even getting down to the PCB's, filters, and sensor structures, are relevant. What Canon optimized and built around for video as engineering/modality factors are also determinants. Now add firmware and it's a witches brew.

Canon got the MKIII wrong. This hybrid still/video product serves still nor video professional well

Canon had a chance to dominate and they opted for a mediocre bland nothing burger camera.

If IQ is not substantially improved, Canon please don't "bother" us. Some of us make a living taking still photographs

It would sure be nice for our illumination if you could post samples. It just shocks me; I don't know what to think.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
It would sure be nice for our illumination if you could post samples. It just shocks me; I don't know what to think.

Jack

Jack, we've returned the equipment and moved on, deleted the files and we're going forward with our MKII's for Olympic Coverage.

Our firm has much more important things to consider now for our clients in Asia and our employees.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, we've returned the equipment and moved on, deleted the files and we're going forward with our MKII's for Olympic Coverage.

Our firm has much more important things to consider now for our clients in Asia and our employees.
Got it. Would you say it's actually an issue or that the perceived value relative to the 1DX2 is not great enough to justify all that expense?

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Got it. Would you say it's actually an issue or that the perceived value relative to the 1DX2 is not great enough to justify all that expense?

I can't justify the change of workflow now, cost or anything based on the IQ. There is no reason for our agency to move to the MKIII. The lack of increased IQ for stills was primary. Best to you

Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
I have only had a chance to shoot one event (HS basketball) since my 1DX III arrived but it is certainly a bit cleaner than my already clean 1DX II (I also have an original 1DX). Photo is one of several I took the first event with the new camera. EOS 1DX III, EF 300 F2.8 captured at 1/640, F2.8, ISO 5000 under typically poor HS gym lighting. This is cropped to roughly 30% of the captured image.

AS0I0587.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Well now I know you're just BS troll.

No cameraman worth their salt would delete the files to prove a camera was faulty/bad.
Okay, in fairness to @GoldWing, he says he works for an agency that provides images of major sporting events to media outlets. That's a contractual relationship where the clients very likely own the images. So, it may be routine for his agency to delete the files after they've delivered the images to their clients. In fact, it may even be a contractual requirement.

I keep my files, but then neither my employer nor my clients have a structure set up to save all those images and I do it mostly as a courtesy to them.

His experience and opinion may differ from others and his online persona is more than a little overbearing, but I don't think he is trolling.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Within 6 months the internet will be flooded with amazing photos taken by this camera. Hahahah.
It already is....at least I've seen dozens of great pictures go by. Everyone, except for this thread, is gushing over it. Not just youtubers or review sites. Friends and regular photographers.

I've never been tempted by a 1D body....until now.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Okay, in fairness to @GoldWing, he says he works for an agency that provides images of major sporting events to media outlets. That's a contractual relationship where the clients very likely own the images. So, it may be routine for his agency to delete the files after they've delivered the images to their clients. In fact, it may even be a contractual requirement.

I keep my files, but then neither my employer nor my clients have a structure set up to save all those images and I do it mostly as a courtesy to them.

His experience and opinion may differ from others and his online persona is more than a little overbearing, but I don't think he is trolling.
You are one of first people here that knows this is the case in most instances. So often we shoot tethered and or the cards are the property the client. We are not allowed without expressed permission take anything. We are not even allowed to activate the video portion of the camera. We shoot in JPEG and RAW. I legitimately tried to make the MKIII work for us. If there are improvements and I'm sure Canon will make a few.Happy to try again.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
You are one of first people here that knows this is the case in most instances. So often we shoot tethered and or the cards are the property the client. We are not allowed without expressed permission take anything. We are not even allowed to activate the video portion of the camera. We shoot in JPEG and RAW. I legitimately tried to make the MKIII work for us. If there are improvements and I'm sure Canon will make a few.Happy to try again.
Surely the initial images you spoke of in the start of this wonderful thread were test images. You owned those. You wouldn't do testing and comparing against the Mark 2 with a clients card or tethered to their gear under contractual conditions. You had two scenarios, testing and client work, right? You can see why this raises eyebrows when you state you have no proof.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Surely the initial images you spoke of in the start of this wonderful thread were test images. You owned those. You wouldn't do testing and comparing against the Mark 2 with a clients card or tethered to their gear under contractual conditions. You had two scenarios, testing and client work, right? You can see why this raises eyebrows when you state you have no proof.

++++++ We tried a few color charts and find the awb to be less than desired.

Exactly. Where are those AWB test images gone?

Upvote 0