2014, the year of the lens...but for whom?

ktatty said:
climber said:
I wonder why Canon don't produce these lenses which would be logical to have. Let say 14-24, 2.8. I think that lens exactly would be sold very well.
Agreed! This is a great lens in the nikon version.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that Canon is probably planning a one-up lens in this area (like the 200-400+1.4x).
The 14-24 f/2.8 cannot take filters and has a short zoom range. It is also susceptible to flares (yes, I know, everything else is solid gold).
The 16-35 f/4 VR is not that stellar, but provides the convenience of longer FL range and filter threads.
I'd say Canon is going to bring out something that gets rid of all the shortcomings.

No, it won't be cheap. Not even close. But people will lust for it.

Upvote 0
Mr_Canuck said:
We know it's the year of the lens for Sigma. Last year certainly was. They've turned a corner. Is Steve Jobs's nephew running the company now or what?

We know it's the year of the lens for Tamron. They've come up with some notable updates and improvements to their already most popular lenses.

But really, who else is it the year of the lens for? :eek:

The Steve Jobs reference simply implies that Sigma steals ideas from others and rebrands them as their own. Sigma needs to prove that they can consistently produce equal quality copies. Buying a lens should feel like playing the lottery.

Upvote 0
The Steve Jobs reference simply implies that Sigma steals ideas from others and rebrands them as their own. Sigma needs to prove that they can consistently produce equal quality copies. Buying a lens should feel like playing the lottery.

The Steve Jobs reference simply implies that there is evidence at Sigma of: leadership, focus, quality, design, cohesive brand architecture, and most importantly, passion.

Upvote 0