2021 OLYMPICS? What will Canon need to have by then to have the pros shooting R?

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Obviously, two memory card slots. f/2.8 trinity for all the photography outside actual events. But what else?

Kit Lens Jockey

EOS 7D MK II
Nov 12, 2016
Um, considering Canon product plans are surely planned out years in advance, I don't think a year delay in the Olympics really changes much.

They will push the 1DX Mk3 as the go-to camera. I doubt any sort of truly 1D level RF camera will have been fully vetted and released by next summer, especially considering I'm sure that Canon's own R&D labs are encountering plenty of their own shutdowns and delays in the midst of this.

Also yeah, as Alan said, I suspect even having a 2021 Olympics is very much up in the air at this point.

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Um, considering Canon product plans are surely planned out years in advance, I don't think a year delay in the Olympics really changes much.

They will push the 1DX Mk3 as the go-to camera. I doubt any sort of truly 1D level RF camera will have been fully vetted and released by next summer, especially considering I'm sure that Canon's own R&D labs are encountering plenty of their own shutdowns and delays in the midst of this.

Also yeah, as Alan said, I suspect even having a 2021 Olympics is very much up in the air at this point.
We'll have a much better idea how far out a 1 series R is after seeing how the AF performs on the R5.

tpatana

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 1, 2012

Yea I agree, one year is too short to get 1D body. However, it doesn't mean they weren't already planning to release one for example this winter. Maybe corona added some delay but still I think it's possibility they'll announce and release one before next summer.

I'd love one so maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I think it's possible.

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
Obviously, two memory card slots. f/2.8 trinity for all the photography outside actual events. But what else?
For the Olympics and many many other major and surprisingly minor sports and other events so many of the cameras are connected and shooting to FTP servers most cameras could be used without any card slots at all.

Even I have shot several events to FTP and one company I worked for did not allow any of the fifteen or so independent contracted photographers to have a card in their camera.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
At sporting events how many pros are using an EOS-1-series body as opposed to a 5? I know in the 90s and 00s a lot of pros were fine with the lighter, cheaper 5s. I'm out of touch with this decade though.

It sounds like the R5 is the equivalent of an EOS-5 so anyone who was willing to shoot with an EOS-5 already (well, in a couple months) will have the camera they need.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
long tele primes in the rf mounts the 400 2.8 the 600 etc
Pros think nothing of putting in a teleconverter half the time. I suspect that if the camera itself meets requirements, they'll think nothing of putting in an RF-to-EF adapter as well.

For me, with 50/1.2's, the ratio of nailing focus is about 10 out of 10 with the R and 1 out of 10 with the SLR. But let's say with telephotos and sporting events, the R is only 10% better. Give a pro a choice of using an adapter and getting more hits? I can't picture a pro saying "no, screw adapters, I don't care if it gets me more shots!"

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
At sporting events how many pros are using an EOS-1-series body as opposed to a 5? I know in the 90s and 00s a lot of pros were fine with the lighter, cheaper 5s. I'm out of touch with this decade though.

It sounds like the R5 is the equivalent of an EOS-5 so anyone who was willing to shoot with an EOS-5 already (well, in a couple months) will have the camera they need.
I haven’t seen anybody shooting pro sports with a 5 series, don’t forget secondhand 1DX’s can bought for a song.

unfocused

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
Olympic level professionals will be among the last to switch to mirrorless, if they ever switch.

What would it take?

A camera that isn't just as good as a 1Dx III, but is better in all respects. (Not going to happen.)

A full selection of Big Whites in the R mount.

Autofocus that meets or exceeds that of a DLSR. (Not likely for the foreseeable future.}

Battery life that exceeds that of DSLRs. (Also not likely)

An R to EF adapter so that photographers can seamlessly switch to any body and lens combination they need. (Not going to happen)

Free loaners from Canon (highly likely)

A year or two. So that the camera can be thoroughly tested and all bugs worked out, as no one is going to shoot the Olympics with a camera that they aren't thoroughly familiar with and haven't used previously under all conceivable conditions.

This is a good start, but probably still wouldn't be enough.

tpatana

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 1, 2012
I haven’t seen anybody shooting pro sports with a 5 series, don’t forget secondhand 1DX’s can bought for a song.
I'm not pro but I use 5D4 for backup, second body or second shooter. I'd rather use 1DX1/2/3 for that too but it's plenty of money.

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It's a little, I admit. But blanket statements like "pros won't be shooting xxxx" or "pros won't be buying xxxx" irks me. :cautious:
Hang on a second. You missed the all important “In my opinion” part at the beginning of the statement you have replied to :). Gotcha!

• Haha
Reactions: derpderp