2021 OLYMPICS? What will Canon need to have by then to have the pros shooting R?

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Hang on a second. You missed the all important “In my opinion” part at the beginning of the statement you have replied to :). Gotcha!
Well...................................................... :sneaky: I did write "in my opinion" at the front of my statement too.

canonnews

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Obviously, two memory card slots. f/2.8 trinity for all the photography outside actual events. But what else?
Canon was already planning to have a 1 series RF camera out in 2021. What they didn't anticipate is that it could be "the" Olympic camera.

You can bet now that the games are moved to 2021, that canon will be all in with a 1 series RF bodied camera with associated super telephotos.

IMO, It's really a no brainer for next year. Canon next January / February will announce the 1 series RF camera and a trio of super telephotos. They already have the trinity of F2.8's from 15 to 200mm, plus fast primes .. so with the super telephotos that's more than enough for olympic pros. Maybe the 200-400 but they can always use the adapter for that if all else fails. Canon in the past launched the 300,400 and 500 super telephotos all at once, I'm sure they can do it again.

The work basically was done already - between what's in the R5 and what's in the 1DX Mark III - they have the basis of 1 series RF camera.

we know that the sensor tech and DIGIC can support 900 megapixels / second (probably 12 bit though) or around 400 megapixels / second in 14 bit mode.

with that, a 24MP sensor would be able to pull off well in excess of 20 fps if they wanted to.

Highly impractical - but that gives Canon a TON of leaway for doing AF calculations.

Last edited:

RBS

I'm New Here
Feb 6, 2020
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/stories/future-of-dslrs/ When mirrorless has sufficient advantages to outweigh its disadvantages, THEN pro sports shooters will adopt them. The EVF and AF of a mirrorless are a huge weak point for action sports. Pros choose the best tools for the job at hand and for action sports that is still the DSLR and will be until the viewfinder and AF acquisition speed, particularly when grabbing a far out of focus seen which occurs often when switching to a different area in a field sport, of the mirrorless matches the DSLR.

Reactions: unfocused

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
I expect that a R1 body has been in the works for some time, but could not be ready this summer. It may be very possible to put it out next January, but I think we would have had rumors by now. Production starts at least 6 months (longer for some parts) before a delivery. A R1 using the 1DX III sensor is entirely possible, but I'm doubting it unless Nikon is going to make one.

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
For the Olympics and many many other major and surprisingly minor sports and other events so many of the cameras are connected and shooting to FTP servers most cameras could be used without any card slots at all.

Even I have shot several events to FTP and one company I worked for did not allow any of the fifteen or so independent contracted photographers to have a card in their camera.
And just how many camera bodies with only one card slot have Ethernet ports or the ability to do FTP via true high speed WiFi?

Last edited:

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It appeared Canon's pre-COVID timeline had the "R1" penciled in for a late 2021 introduction at the earliest. With all of the coronavirus induced delays, I seriously doubt they would try to push the release up to barely one year from today. It's just not going to happen.

That still leaves the question, though, regarding how many Shooters at the Olympics in 2021 will be using an R5 or other R body.

I'm fairly confident there will be plenty using an R5 body or two alongside the 1D X Mark III bodies in their kits.

Not everything a lot of pros shoot at an event as large as the Olympics are pure sports/action shots from long range using big white lenses at 14-16-20 frames per second. There are a lot of human interest stories about the athletes and the families and others who support their dreams of competing on the Olympic stage that need images shot away from the field of competition. There are stories about local culture, scenery, entertainment, restaurants, etc. that will be included in many shooters' full assignment list over the course of two weeks. There are also opening and closing ceremonies that are true entertainment spectacles with different hardware demands than the pure competition fare.

Last edited:
Reactions: StoicalEtcher

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I haven’t seen anybody shooting pro sports with a 5 series, don’t forget secondhand 1DX’s can bought for a song.
I've seen plenty shooting with a 1-series body attached to their "big white" and wider lenses (70-200, 24-70, or 16-35) hanging on 5-series bodies.

Reactions: SecureGSM

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
And just how many camera bodies with only one card slot have Ethernet ports or the ability to do FTP via true high speed WiFi?
I couldn't tell you, certainly there have been many medium format digital cameras best suited to tethering that only have one card slot, but that really wasn't the point, the point was that whilst almost everybody, certainly in forum-land, seems to have been sold on the meme that a 'Pro' camera has to have two card slots many working pros have actually moved on from that workflow.

I've seen plenty shooting with a 1-series body attached to their "big white" and wider lenses (70-200, 24-70, or 16-35) hanging on 5-series bodies.
Good for you, I haven't, not saying they aren't out there but I can only comment on my personal experiences.

tpatana

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 1, 2012
Sold listings on eBay put 1DX prices below 5D IV prices by $200-300 on average.
Yes. What I didn't mention I prefer 5D4 for all non-sport shootings. So currently I have 1DX and 5D4, and the 5D4 is sports backup/second when needed.

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I couldn't tell you, certainly there have been many medium format digital cameras best suited to tethering that only have one card slot, but that really wasn't the point, the point was that whilst almost everybody, certainly in forum-land, seems to have been sold on the meme that a 'Pro' camera has to have two card slots many working pros have actually moved on from that workflow.
You're still missing the point. How many FF camera's exist that don't already have two card slots which have the frame rate and AF system needed to shoot sports/action at the top level? All of the ones that support your "new" workflow also have dual card slots (I know guys who were using tethered laptops from the sidelines during timeouts to push pictures to the wires via WiFi and/or cellular modems at least five years ago).

The last one that did not was what, the 1D Mark IV back in 2009? Oh yeah, that was APS-H, wasn't it?

It's not that they "have" to have them, it's that in the last decade no one has been making a sports/action or even press oriented camera that doesn't have them. Whether everyone actually needs them is beside the point when it has become a market expectation.

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
You're still missing the point. How many FF camera's exist that don't already have two card slots which have the frame rate and AF system needed to shoot sports/action at the top level? All of the ones that support your "new" workflow also have dual card slots (I know guys who were using tethered laptops from the sidelines during timeouts to push pictures to the wires via WiFi and/or cellular modems at least five years ago).

The last one that did not was what, the 1D Mark IV back in 2009? Oh yeah, that was APS-H, wasn't it?

It's not that they "have" to have them, it's that in the last decade no one has been making a sports/action or even press oriented camera that doesn't have them. Whether everyone actually needs them is beside the point when it has become a market expectation.
No you are missing the point, I was replying to an earlier comment not making one of my own. Times change, workflows change, thinking two card slots is a requirement for all the bulk users of 1 series cameras is fallacious, and old style, AFP, AP, Getty, Reuters, don't care how many card slots the camera has as much of their content is wirelessly transmitted because of incredibly short news cycles.

If even nobodies like me are shooting some events wirelessly to give organizers instant access to social media relevant images I can't imagine the status quo continuing that much longer. I'd happily take an R1 with built in 5GHz wireless and one card slot if I was looking to transition from the 1D series to the R1 series.

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No you are missing the point, I was replying to an earlier comment not making one of my own. Times change, workflows change, thinking two card slots is a requirement for all the bulk users of 1 series cameras is fallacious, and old style, AFP, AP, Getty, Reuters, don't care how many card slots the camera has as much of their content is wirelessly transmitted because of incredibly short news cycles.

If even nobodies like me are shooting some events wirelessly to give organizers instant access to social media relevant images I can't imagine the status quo continuing that much longer. I'd happily take an R1 with built in 5GHz wireless and one card slot if I was looking to transition from the 1D series to the R1 series.
Again, just because some users of 1-series cameras don't care if they have two card slots or not, it does not mean that all potential buyers of 1-series cameras will not care.

That's the point.

Market expectations are not based on what small subgroups of potential buyers do not feel is necessary. They're based on the largest common denominators that many, even if not a majority, of potential buyers require before they'll part with their cash.

If only 25-50% of potential buyers feel something is a "requirement" and would cause them to take a pass if it were not included, Canon would be crazy to not include it. Just look at the 24p thing. Maybe 5% of potential users howled at the moon over the lack of 24p in recent bodies and Canon gave it to them via firmware updates. Yes, firmware is a different thing from hardware, but Canon rarely makes such miscalculations about what larger segments of users for each product line want.

Reactions: SecureGSM

unfocused

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
If even nobodies like me are shooting some events wirelessly to give organizers instant access to social media relevant images I can't imagine the status quo continuing that much longer...
Off topic but I can't resist.

My how times have changed.

Just a few years ago on this forum I used to regularly get ripped a new one because I dared to suggest that one of the great failings of camera manufacturers was how slow they were to make their bodies user-friendly for wireless communication. I suggested that it was an embarrassment and a tremendous failing that a photographer using a $3,000 (or higher) camera could not provide a bride with four or five social media-ready shots during the course of a wedding and reception while the bridesmaids could shoot and post photos from their phones in a matter of seconds.

People on this forum (Not PDB, but others) would rant and rave about how ridiculous that was and that if their client wasn't willing to wait days or weeks for the photographs, then that client didn't deserve their services.

I just want to say: "I told you so."

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Hi Unfocused, thanks for the detailed response! I bow to your wisdom so in my below comments I'm just looking for clarification mostly, not questioning your views.

A camera that isn't just as good as a 1Dx III, but is better in all respects. (Not going to happen.)
Autofocus that meets or exceeds that of a DLSR. (Not likely for the foreseeable future.}
One respect, such as substantially better in-focus hit rate, wouldn't suffice, if most other factors were equal? To be clear I don't know if the R is achieving that currently (I just know the tracking at 50/1.2 is insanely great, but that's a different situation), but it's possible the R5 will improve. I'm not a pro sports shooter (in fact I only did stock photog in the 90s for a few years). But if you gave me two options, and one had only one advantage--more likely to nail focus--I think I wouldn't need every other aspect to be improved in order to migrate. In fact even if battery life sucked, say, I think I'd consider trading better focus hit rate for having to swap batteries.

A full selection of Big Whites in the R mount.
I feel no sports shooter would balk at adding a TC, so I guess I'm puzzled why they'd balk at adding a EF->RF adapter.

Battery life that exceeds that of DSLRs. (Also not likely)
Agreed, thanks to EVF if nothing else. They could theoretically add a LOT more battery for a given size/weight, thanks to the generally more compact and light construction without the mirror and pentaprism. But it's not clear they will.

An R to EF adapter so that photographers can seamlessly switch to any body and lens combination they need. (Not going to happen)
Well, that's technically impossible. Can't happen. I'll note though that people moved from FD to EF pretty quickly despite no such adapter ever being offered (or even possible).

A year or two. So that the camera can be thoroughly tested and all bugs worked out, as no one is going to shoot the Olympics with a camera that they aren't thoroughly familiar with and haven't used previously under all conceivable conditions.
Wholehearted agreement.

Reactions: navastronia