24-70 f/2.8 L II front coating peeling off?

Hi everyone,
I started noticing that the same issue a few months ago, as my pics started becoming blurry, but I thought it was just me being too impatient, or not getting the manual settings right.
Then after finding these posts, I see that its the lens! The entire coating had become spidery / flaky. I wish I had taken pics before I started cleaning it. Attaching whats left of it.
I am just LIVID! I paid $2000 for this allegedly professional "L" lens, and how does this happen in barely 3 years of usage by an amateur photographer?!?!
Now, after some cleaning, the entire coating has come off, showing the bare glass underneath. Focusing has improved, but I am still annoyed. I dont want to pay to ship it to them, and then be charged another $500-600 to fix their problem.
The only solution thats going to work is to shame Canon via social media. I am composing a post on their USA Facebook page now. Please comment, share, like, etc. if you have had the same problem. Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/CanonUSA/

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 624
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Bondiphoto said:
I also had the same problem(Re: 24-70 f/2.8 L II front coating peeling off?), i found this forum indicating this has happened to others and you guys helped me make my case.

My lens i bought in Europe it had expired its 1 year warranty, I live in Australia we have 2 year warranty but since i purchased this in Europe i was stuck with this lens that is 13 months old.

My first contact to Canon was not very helpful, it was quite blunt, making out it was my fault, after reading this forum it's obvious that this is a manufacture flaw or fault.

i started with face book messages and emails to canon to get real support and answers, after a week i had some help from Canon UK liaising with Canon Australia.

i was told to send my lens in for inspection and it was returned fixed with no charge and no explanation. - Bonus..

I called to find out what it was, and they said it was a faulty part.

- advice, If this is the case with your lens, insist on them fixing the problem, i'm sure they are well aware of the problem seems to happen a lot.

Good luck.
I believe EU laws enforce 2 year warranty in many electronic items.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem and had started another thread a while back but have since been back to the shop I purchased from and got an independent report from a camera repairer. The camera repair shop couldnt believe it and knew straight away what it was and the shop knew it was lens coating peeling off as well but then they changed attitude and asked me if I flew much. When I told them I travel several times a year they told me it was the chemicals in the sky the caused it and to avoid flying!
Canon did tell me they will fix at no cost even though out of warranty if it's a manufacturing fault but I'll have to buy another lens first as it will take 2 months to send it over and get it back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 1.58.48 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 1.58.48 pm.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Ozone could indeed cause a problem, but I doubt that the higher concentrations in a aircraft would hurt it. Lens cleaning, on the other hand with a wet solution can work its way into the coating and loosen it. I avoid cleaning mine except with a blower.

A Canon patent with a different method of applying the coating just appeared. It did not mention and problems with the old method, but it applies a sealant that saturates the nano bubble coating which is probably added to keep solvents out.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
BeenThere said:
Chemicals in the sky? That sounds like BS!

I heard Lucy is up there, with Diamonds. Maybe the person who suggested that used a little too much LDS in the 60s. ???

LDS? An acid head with dyslexia?

StarTrekIV_1.jpg

Upvote 0