24-70 f2.8 II - Is play in the lens barrel normal?

Nov 12, 2016
I clumsily dropped my 24-70 f2.8 II today. It wasn't a very hard hit. I was kneeling over when it happened, so it wasn't from full waist height, and it was on somewhat soft, sandy ground. Lens still seems to work fine, but can anyone who owns one confirm whether or not it's normal for the extending barrel to have just a little play in it when you wiggle it back and forth? It's pretty minimal, like no more than 1mm of play side to side, if that. I just can't remember if it was like that originally. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2016
Interesting, thanks. Mine does not seem to vary depending on where it's zoomed to like that. It hasa tiny bit of play throughout it. And honestly even calling it 1mm of play is probably over stating it. I mean you can just barely feel it moving, but it's hard to visually see it. It has about as much lateral play as it has if you pull it in and out.

I'll probably have it looked at, but for right now I'm on a trip, and that's not feasible. So, I'm just trying to get a sense of if it's ok.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
….. even calling it 1mm of play is probably over stating it. I mean you can just barely feel it moving, but it's hard to visually see it....

I can feel mine but it is debatable if I can visually see it move.

My quick guess is you are fine. If still worried, I would run the zoom a couple of times, take some test shots and check the corners for decentering at different focal lengths. Worst case, send into Canon for a cleaning and to have it checked out.

But, my 24-70 II fits what you are describing and I consider it to be fine.

Upvote 0