24-70 f4 hood discontinued?

On a recent trip I discovered the lock button on my EW-83L lens hood (for 24-70 f4L IS) is broken. The hood still fits on the lens, but it does not lock in place. If I am not careful it will slide off kilter and create a vignette. So just now I went to the Canon USA website to order a replacement hood. There are dozens of hoods for every Canon lens imaginable - except mine! Not there at all. So I went to Adorama - same thing. Why would they discontinue a hood for a lens that is still in production? (At least I think it's still in production).

So I went to Ebay and there were some aftermarket hoods by JJC shipped from Hong Kong for 16.95 plus 3.50 shipping. I checked Samy's in L.A. and they have a Promaster replacement, but it is 49.95 (with maybe or maybe not extra for shipping). So I ordered the one on Ebay and hopefully it will work fine. I will try to update this thread once I receive it.

Jul 21, 2010
Listed as in stock:

Upvote 0
Listed as in stock:
In stock where?

Edit - Never mind, I clicked on your link and it goes to Pictureline, which I have never heard of before. However it also sells for 65 bucks, which is pretty steep, so I am hoping my twenty buck version works just as well.

Upvote 0
Listed as in stock:
Followup part two: I clicked on your link again and there is something very odd. The description says EW-83L but the printing on the hood in the photo just says EW-83. Even though it also says Canon, the fact that L is missing makes me suspect it is an illegal imitation.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In stock where?

Edit - Never mind, I clicked on your link and it goes to Pictureline, which I have never heard of before. However it also sells for 65 bucks, which is pretty steep, so I am hoping my twenty buck version works just as well.
Pictureline is a authorized dealer in Salt Lake City, UT, and has had a good reputation selling pro level photography equipment for many many years. You will find third party accessories for cameras for much cheaper than Chinese versions. The issues I've had with plastic molded products from China is the poor fit accuracy, and warping due to improper stress relief. The Chinese products are getting better, but one product I bought last year were warped badly enough that I couldn't use it.

Upvote 0
Pictureline is a authorized dealer in Salt Lake City, UT, and has had a good reputation selling pro level photography equipment for many many years. You will find third party accessories for cameras for much cheaper than Chinese versions. The issues I've had with plastic molded products from China is the poor fit accuracy, and warping due to improper stress relief. The Chinese products are getting better, but one product I bought last year were warped badly enough that I couldn't use it.
I will see how my JJC works and keep this in the back of my mind. But does anyone know why the one shown on Pictureline is missing L on the hood itself?

Upvote 0
On a recent trip I discovered the lock button on my EW-83L lens hood (for 24-70 f4L IS) is broken. The hood still fits on the lens, but it does not lock in place. If I am not careful it will slide off kilter and create a vignette. So just now I went to the Canon USA website to order a replacement hood. There are dozens of hoods for every Canon lens imaginable - except mine! Not there at all. So I went to Adorama - same thing. Why would they discontinue a hood for a lens that is still in production? (At least I think it's still in production).

So I went to Ebay and there were some aftermarket hoods by JJC shipped from Hong Kong for 16.95 plus 3.50 shipping. I checked Samy's in L.A. and they have a Promaster replacement, but it is 49.95 (with maybe or maybe not extra for shipping). So I ordered the one on Ebay and hopefully it will work fine. I will try to update this thread once I receive it.
Hi, my hood also stopped locking in place. Really not sure what I did wrong (did I break something?). Did you raise this to Canon?

Upvote 0

HeavyPiper

6D Mark II / EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 1, 2018
Oregon
i, my hood also stopped locking in place. Really not sure what I did wrong (did I break something?). Did you raise this to Canon?
I believe this locking system on mine was weak and of course they were always backordered. Without the lock it wouldn't stay in place, so like I stated above EW-83M worked.

Upvote 0