24L MkII focusing problems

My 24L mkII is very accurate on my eos-M and when using when live view on my 5D mk3's but on the 5D's when not using live view the afma only works for one distance. All other distances are way out of focus.

For example, when focusing from about 20 ft I can amfa to get a decent result. Change to shoot from 10 ft and it misses by about a foot.

Would sending to Canon be likely to fix this? The lens is unuseable as is, I have had it for a couple of years but only started noticing the issue recently.

Thanks!

Steve

Why are you AFMAing at a target that is so far away? For the 24L II, I adjusted AFMA for a target closer to 50x, which is 1.2m or 3-4 ft, and it works fine for much larger distances.

That said, I did have an issue with my 24L II where I it would not focus accurately at all even stopped down to f/5.6. It did fine with LV, which bypasses the PDAF. I would suggest trying to AFMA at a closer target and see if that fixes it. If not, I would take a few shots showing your problem and send it to Canon with the lens. They had to adjust my lens' AF mechanism. The description of the work done was not more detailed than that but it did not imply that they had replaced any parts either...

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
Why are you AFMAing at a target that is so far away? For the 24L II, I adjusted AFMA for a target closer to 50x, which is 1.2m or 3-4 ft, and it works fine for much larger distances.

That said, I did have an issue with my 24L II where I it would not focus accurately at all even stopped down to f/5.6. It did fine with LV, which bypasses the PDAF. I would suggest trying to AFMA at a closer target and see if that fixes it. If not, I would take a few shots showing your problem and send it to Canon with the lens. They had to adjust my lens' AF mechanism. The description of the work done was not more detailed than that but it did not imply that they had replaced any parts either...
+1 on the calibration distance - unless you're using the large target, at least. I have heard many stories about the AF on this lens, but I've had mine for 5 years now and it nails focus every time, no matter the distance.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:

My issue was found on a 5DII and confirmed on a 7D.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
Hi Steve, is the issue sorted?

Hi StudentOfLight,

Definitely a lot better now, I did some testing in good light today and am pretty happy with the performance vs live view. I'm probably spoiled by some of the other lenses in my arsenal - just updated my profile with the full list. The fuji lenses at f1.2 to 1.4 are really sharp wide open so I'm probably setting the bar high for the 24 which is known to be a bit soft at f1.4

Upvote 0