26 Megapixel sensor in the upcoming FF Mirrorless EOS R body

There's a rumored FF mirrorless body to be released in 2019 (source: mirrorless rumors). It has 26 megapixels, and that makes me very suspicious.

Given Canon's track record of making people's worst fears come true, as well as their habit of using old sensors, that were mediocre back in their day, in their new bodies (modified 5D IV sensor in EOS R), I wouldn't put it beyond them to reuse the 26 MP 6DII sensor in a new FF body in 2019 (as well as crop the 4K and all the standard missing features).
If they do that, I swear to god Canon...

Mar 25, 2011
The source was not mirrorless rumors, it was Nokishita, and it is posted on CR as well.
At the very least, the microlenses will change. I'd be surprised to see a low end FF mirrorless that sold for ~$USD 1600 initially, but I suppose its possible. The certification tests often get updated with changed cameras, so seeing a RF certification for Bluetooth / Wi-Fi, etc does not mean it will happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Given Canon's track record of making people's worst fears come true...

My worst fear coming true would be winning the lottery and not being prepared ahead of time with enough mattresses to stuff the money in. Please hurry up, Canon.

I'm an old industrial electronics/instrumentation tech and mechanic. I have lots of tools, including a particular screwdriver I am very fond of. It has never let me down and I can even do things with it that screwdrivers shouldn't be able to do. I have mastered that tool and made it my ... you know.

Then I have a son-in-law. He has a beautiful tool collection and hasn't the slightest idea how to use them. They sit in the pretty box, unused... year after year.

He's a tool collector. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Same thing with technology collectors. Camera collectors, etc.

I'm still working on mastering the camera gear I have, and I'm not worried about what is in the next camera until then. Master the craft and the gear first. Work on that and we won't have the time to worry about which sensor is a half stop better than which. Actually learn to take some fine photos. That's what I am trying to learn and trying to do. There were wonderful photos taken long before the megapixel and sensor wars started.

Maybe Canon knows you are not ready for the next sensor?

Now, go take some photos. It's a lot more fun than trolling. Try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
There's a rumored FF mirrorless body to be released in 2019 (source: mirrorless rumors). It has 26 megapixels, and that makes me very suspicious.

Given Canon's track record of making people's worst fears come true...

I think you mean, Canon's track record of making techno-geeks worst fears come true. Because knowledgable photographers are quite happy to see Canon's excellent quality, reliability, ease of use - and most important - there unmatched color science in each new camera model. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0