270EX II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Here in the USA, its listed on Amazon.com as available for preorder which I interpret as meaniing its not yet shipping to dealers.

If its made outside of japan, there is no reason for it to be delayed, but if even a few of the parts come from Japan, it could be heldup. The dealers will also hold you up on the price. Prices have jumped even for lenses made in Taiwan.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
HughHowey said:
I've got one on the way. Can't wait to play around with the remote firing feature (where you can engage the shutter from the flash, and they are synced).

I think that you mean that you can control and fire the flash with the camera. If you can fire the shutter from the flash, that would be great, my PW could do that with a special cable.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
scalesusa said:
HughHowey said:
I've got one on the way. Can't wait to play around with the remote firing feature (where you can engage the shutter from the flash, and they are synced).

I think that you mean that you can control and fire the flash with the camera. If you can fire the shutter from the flash, that would be great, my PW could do that with a special cable.

Actually Hugh is correct, you can fire the camera using the flash (From Canon Press Announcement):

The Speedlite 320EX also features the Remote Release functionality allowing users to trigger their camera from the flash.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
scalesusa said:
HughHowey said:

Actually Hugh is correct, you can fire the camera using the flash (From Canon Press Announcement):

The Speedlite 320EX also features the Remote Release functionality allowing users to trigger their camera from the flash.

Exactly. And I plan on mostly using this from behind the camera, not quite like Canon envisions it (from a distance). With my camera on a tripod, and me composing through the viewfinder, I'll just hold the flash up high and to the side, or wherever I need some dramatic lighting, press a button, and let the flash do the rest.

I mostly use my flash in manual mode, with my camera in manual as well, and often keep it well below full power, so I think this little baby is going to be perfect. Can't wait to get creative with it.

Edit: I might add that while people are bemoaning Canon for stagnation in other forums, they are ignoring little treats like this flash, which really think outside the box. Plus the zoom fisheye, which has probably been delayed mostly because of the tragedy in Japan, there is no indication that they've stopped being creative. They are just at the end of a major product cycle (5D, 1D) and their competition refreshed their lines lately. The whining that goes on sometimes as companies naturally leapfrog each other is maddening. Go out and shoot something while you're waiting on "your" company to surge to the front!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
HughHowey said:
Exactly. And I plan on mostly using this from behind the camera, not quite like Canon envisions it (from a distance).

I presume you mean standing right behind the camera (so you can reach around to the front), since the 320EX triggers via IR, and the IR sensor is on the front of the grip. I use my RC-1 for a similar purpose (usually easier than connecting the RS-80N3, although I use that for wide angle shots to avoid the risk of having my hand in the picture...).

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
unfocused said:
scalesusa said:
HughHowey said:

Thanks, That might be a great feature. I'd doubt if you can hold the flash very far behind the camera though, since the infrared wants to be able to see the sensor, or at least, reflect off something.

I've a cheap $15.00 radio actuated remote that lets me stand back behind the camera.

Upvote 0
F

Flake

When someone receives their order will you please let us know? B&H is showing available for preorder so presumably they don't have any. The 580 EXII says it's made in Japan so I assume that all of them are, and that the earthquake and Tsunami are responsible for the delay, but these were announced ages ago & I'd have expected some to have been available prior to that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.