Some Minor Canon Lens Announcement Clarification

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’re still trying to figure out what is coming alongside the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS at the end of August 2017. We’ve seen certification for 3 different SKU’s of lenses made in Malaysia, which has given us some pause.
We’re told by a great source that a “series” of three “high end” lenses is coming in 2017 and they assumed it was the three lenses listed in the certification. Now we’re not so sure if that’s the case strictly because of the manufacturing country. To our knowledge, all “high end” lenses by Canon are made in Japan.
I guess this is a long way of saying that we’re still confident a series of 3 lenses is coming, they may just not be coming with the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS. The lenses in question from the certification could possibly be 3 different colours for the upcoming Canon EOS M20 (name not...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
The 85/1.4L will be a great portrait lens -- I live with my 85/1.8 and have the best results. -- CPS loaned me a 135/2.0L which is beautiful but just too long for my practice.
The 35/1.4L is my favorite for many events but sometimes too wide.
But I never bought the 50/1.4 -- I've been waiting for a new version...Maybe a new "L" 50 is coming?
Yes, the 28-70/2.8L is my "normal" lens and is used for over ½ the images -- but personally, I prefer primes and the effects of 1.4 over 2.8 -- I rarely use f/4 lenses.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
"At the time of writing this, we’re not sure what the “series” is, but there’s a chance we have 4 “high end” lenses coming and 3 lower end lenses which may not differ in specs outside of colour."

Seven lenses, of which four might be special?

Ha, next thing you'll tell me is that Canon will put 5 year old sensor tech into a $2000 FF DSLR. (Too soon?)

- A

Attachments

• 1t3wn3.jpg
    1t3wn3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,870
Upvote 0
Yasko said:
High end would either mean L lenses (i think they would announce L lenses separately) or high end primes without the red Ring.
May be a new 50 f/1.4 and 85 1.8 are on their way... would be great. Each lens could also be a tin less bright but feature IS instead, just like the 35 f/2 IS USM.

Why should Canon introduce a new EF 85mm f1.4L IS USM and a new EF 85mm f1.8 IS USM (non L)? Wouldn't make sense imo.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
BXL said:
Three "high end" lenses?

• EF 20mm f/2.8 IS USM
  • EF 28mm f/1.8 IS USM
  • EF 50mm f/1.4 IS USM

At least thats what I am waiting for...
That "high end" Sounds a little bit strange to me, as there were no dedicated rumors of a series.
I doubt that they will be "L" lenses.
If I could make a wish (not a guess) it could be something like the successors of those:
  • EF50/1.4
  • EF85/1.8
  • EF100/2.0
No clue if aperture could change (hope not so) or if IS will be included (guess not so but hope for) and what AF drive (hoping for ring USM, guessing nano USM)

Another guess could be some prime series for the EF-M system.

We'll see...

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
That "high end" Sounds a little bit strange to me, as there were no dedicated rumors of a series.
I doubt that they will be "L" lenses.
High end doesn't mean L. Think of the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM and the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM. They are high quality without being L lenses.

I agree that the 85mm f/1.8 and the 100mm f/2 would need an update but considering that Canon is rumored to announce the 85mm f/1.4L IS USM, I don't believe that they would release a cheaper 85mm f/1.8 (IS) USM around the same time.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BXL said:
Yasko said:
High end would either mean L lenses (i think they would announce L lenses separately) or high end primes without the red Ring.
May be a new 50 f/1.4 and 85 1.8 are on their way... would be great. Each lens could also be a tin less bright but feature IS instead, just like the 35 f/2 IS USM.

Why should Canon introduce a new EF 85mm f1.4L IS USM and a new EF 85mm f1.8 IS USM (non L)? Wouldn't make sense imo.

+1. I cannot recall a time when an L and non-L of the same FL was released at the same time. Can anyone tell me when that last happened?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
I'm keeping my feet on the ground, but a new non-L 50 would be gold.

Geez, man...you should tell someone you want a lens like that. Don't keep it a secret!

Can't. Too busy preparing memes with the Scanners head explosion for when the big day finally comes.

Unless it has STM. I will post no memes if has STM. I will buy one, unbox it, and smash it with a hammer and share that experience on YouTube.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
I'm keeping my feet on the ground, but a new non-L 50 would be gold.

Geez, man...you should tell someone you want a lens like that. Don't keep it a secret!

Can't. Too busy preparing memes with the Scanners head explosion for when the big day finally comes.

Unless it has STM. I will post no memes if has STM. I will buy one, unbox it, and smash it with a hammer and share that experience on YouTube.

- A

*subscribed*

Upvote 0
I still think the lenses in august will be stm lenses or lens, either apsc prime or ff buget zoom. I hope for budget ff ultrawide, something similar to 10-18 is stm. Maybe 16-28 f4-5,6 is stm. It could also be cheaper version of 16-50 f 2.8, something like f2.8-4. This would be also high end.

All 24, 28 and 35 is usm are made in japan. So the ff primes like 20, 28 50 or 85 will not be from malasya. All stm ef-m lenses are made in taiwan so i thik it will not be ef-m.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Ha, next thing you'll tell me is that Canon will put 5 year old sensor tech into a $2000 FF DSLR. (Too soon?)
I haven't been on here in a while, but I was checking out new posts and about fell out of my chair laughing when I read your post ;D

Perhaps they'll release your mythical 50mm with a DC motor AF...

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
meho1a said:
I still think the lenses in august will be stm lenses or lens, either apsc prime or ff buget zoom. I hope for budget ff ultrawide, something similar to 10-18 is stm. Maybe 16-28 f4-5,6 is stm. It could also be cheaper version of 16-50 f 2.8, something like f2.8-4. This would be also high end.

All 24, 28 and 35 is usm are made in japan. So the ff primes like 20, 28 50 or 85 will not be from malasya. All stm ef-m lenses are made in taiwan so i thik it will not be ef-m.

They could produce e.g. 17-35/3.5-5.6 IS STM to compliment their 24-105 IS STM lens as a cheaper UWA zoom for 6D line. There is already 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM II, so that would make a nice budget FF lineup for 6D bodies. Right now, you can either get used 17-40/4L or buy new 16-35/4L IS. Neither of those options are to be considered budget however...

Upvote 0