Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
Can anybody compare this Canon RF 50mm F1.2 with Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 ?
I will not be surprised if Canon RF 50mm F1.2 is close to or even beats Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 for overall image quality, because it is 15 Elements in 9 Groups but Otus has 12 Elements in 10 Groups.
Can't wait for such comparison. I really want to see where Canon RF 50mm F1.2 ranks in https://www.dxomark.com/.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
Can anybody compare this Canon RF 50mm F1.2 with Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 ?

Canon RF 50mm F1.2 is more complicated than Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4. Can it beat Otus for image quality?
You can see a comparison on the The-Digital-Picture site. Click on the link toward the bottom of the review, "Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L compared to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L Lens" and then change the lens on the right to the Otus, or any other from the drop-down list. If you want to change the aperture of the comparison, make sure to change it for both lenses (from the drop-down).

Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
You can see a comparison on the The-Digital-Picture site. Click on the link toward the bottom of the review, "Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L compared to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L Lens" and then change the lens on the right to the Otus, or any other from the drop-down list. If you want to change the aperture of the comparison, make sure to change it for both lenses (from the drop-down).
I would like to see more practical and sophisticated comparison by different ranking companies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It will be interesting to see if an updated EF 50 1.2L ever comes out, along with the 24-70 f/2.8L IS. If either doesn't show up for EF, it'll be time to switch over.

EF is either already end of line or so close to being so that further investment should be thoroughly considered.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Indeed. I think the new EF 400 and 600 L III lenses are a pretty solid statement (at $12 and $13K each, respectively) that EF isn't going to be obsolete any time soon.
While I hope that the EF mount sticks around, the new EF 400 and 600 lenses don't confirm that. I expect RF lens development will focus on where the mount has an advantage (such as the lenses currently offered). Long RF tele primes and zooms will have little advantage over existing EF lenses with an adapter, especially the new ones where I expect the focusing algorithms and possibly drive mechanisms have been updated.

Upvote 0
While I hope that the EF mount sticks around, the new EF 400 and 600 lenses don't confirm that. I expect RF lens development will focus on where the mount has an advantage (such as the lenses currently offered). Long RF tele primes and zooms will have little advantage over existing EF lenses with an adapter, especially the new ones where I expect the focusing algorithms and possibly drive mechanisms have been updated.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, having an EF super-tele with adapter won't be much different in practical use than having an RF super-tele. Thus, Canon anticipates the full move to RF bodies can happen just as soon as a pro body RF mount body can do what flagship DSLRs can do -- all without upsetting those who invested in EF mount super-teles? That's a fair point, I think.

My point was that whichever way Canon goes, I expect that the needs of EF super-tele owners will factor into how (and how fast) they make the full move to RF mount bodies. Whether it's EF working seamlessly on RF bodies or EF bodies persisting for another decade, EF lenses won't quickly become obsolete (like, say, when the EF mount was introduced). Does that make sense?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
On the wide end, the RF 50mm 1.2 not only blows away the EF 50mm 1.2L but is impressive against other lenses including the excellent EF 24-70mm 2.8L II (50mm at f/2.8). CA and corner sharpness are amazing on the RF 50mm. I think the only reason the 24-70mm looks as good in the center is that it has that advantage of being tested on the 5DSR.

Since long lenses don't suffer as much with CA, the long EF lenses will be around longer than the normal to wide angle lenses. I wouldn't be surprised if Canon released EF-RF 1.4 and 2.0 xtenders with built in filter holders.

Upvote 0
Back on topic, I just looked at the comparison of the RF and EF 50MM F1.2L lenses. Holy hand grenades. That RF 50 is one sharp lens. My goodness. :)

And/or the EF 50 f1.2 was not a sharp lens especially wide open, much CA is present which the RF seems not to have. Go to wonder about vignetting, the RF should be better there as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0