SHOTEN releases a complete series of Canon RF Lens mount adaptors

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
SHOTEN has released a whole series of Canon RF lens mount adaptors.

L/M-CR  Leica M Mount to Canon RF Mount
FD-CR  Canon FD Mount to Canon RF Mount
NG-CR  Nikon G to Canon RF Mount
EF-CR  Canon EF to Canon RF Mount
MAF-CR Minolta Sony A to Canon RF Mount
MD-CR  Minolta MD to Canon RF Mount
CY-CR Contax Yashica to Canon RF Mount
NIK-CR  Nikon AIS to Canon RF Mount

You can purchase SHOTEN lens adaptors on eBay.

Continue reading...

Looks like purely mechanical adapters... but why would anyone buy an EF/RF adapter from them? o_O

It depends on the price. If it is 40 EUR maybe it's interesting for someone who uses 2 RF lenses and 4 EF medium expensivelenses on an EOS R only and doesn't want to to fiddle araound with three hand to change lens / adapter / body with caps. Maybe RF 1.2 50 + RF 24-105 and EF 2.8 24 / 2.8 100 Macro / 4.0 70-200 / 5.6 400. 4 x 40 = 160 sounds much better than 4 x 100 = 400 !

For a 2.8 400 IS I would always use the original adapter because 100 or 200 additional bucks do not matter for a 10000 bucks-lens.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Looks like purely mechanical adapters... but why would anyone buy an EF/RF adapter from them? o_O

To adapt manual focus EF lenses (Zeiss EF glass, EF Tilt Shift, Samyang Manual Focus glass) one need only a simple mechanical adaptor ring. That would cost a few dollars off eBay pretty soon. It would be feasible to buy a few at this price and keep adapters atached to the lens.
The cost of ownership is the motivator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What would really be nice is a new focus confirmation chip that would allow the DPAF manual focus guides and focus confirmation to be used with a manual lens. The chip would need to trick the camera into thinking that a lens had been set to manual focus and allow the aperture to be input into the camera even though the camera can't control the aperture. The aperture value has an effect on the calculations of the DPAF focus guide.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Not much different than say after market extension tubes - typically cheaper and fairly decent quality. Now, will they produce some version with the filter option?

Jack
Fotodiox does it for the Sony E-mount and it sucks. Better to use a front filter (manual primes usually have a smaller diameter at least).

Or one might use the 'proper' but pricey Canon ND adapter and an EF adapter ring if the mount is compatible with that (C/Y, OM, Nikon F, etc.) but there might be too many elements involved in terms of tolerances.

On thing which I've noticed with the 6D Mark II (or I guess other Canon cameras) is the punch in magnifying for manual focus is unnecessary fiddly.
Why can't it just punch instantly in to the area that I touch on the touchscreen (instead of just selecting it) and why I do need to push the magnify button again to get out of it instead of like just half-pressing the shutter?

Is this any different on the EOS R?

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
To adapt manual focus EF lenses (Zeiss EF glass, EF Tilt Shift, Samyang Manual Focus glass)

I agree for cheap Samyang, but someone buys Zeiss and then saves a few bucks on adapters? EF T/S lenses still need electrical contacts for aperture control. Maybe someone should make an adapter able to couple the aperture ring on manual lenses with something alike the multi-function ring on R adapters.

Upvote 0