Here is the Canon VIXIA HF G60

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Images of the Canon VIXIA HF G60 have leaked ahead of this weeks launch. This is one of 5 camcorders being announced ahead of NAB which begins next week.

hf60nok01-168x168.png

hf60nok02-168x168.png

hf60nok03-168x168.png

Continue reading...

If IQ not matters, and a 28mm lens is needed, a phone will do the job. It's funny, 10 years ago, everybody upgraded from PS's to DSLR, today back to the phone which is roghly a PS without optical zoom. As long as people not understand the difference between, sharpness, sharpening, resolution everybody will be happy, except the manufacturers of non-phone devices.

For sure, this camera's will be way better than any phone, at least if one knows how to handle them and how to create a "film" from the "output"

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
If IQ not matters, and a 28mm lens is needed, a phone will do the job. It's funny, 10 years ago, everybody upgraded from PS's to DSLR, today back to the phone which is roghly a PS without optical zoom. As long as people not understand the difference between, sharpness, sharpening, resolution everybody will be happy, except the manufacturers of non-phone devices.

For sure, this camera's will be way better than any phone, at least if one knows how to handle them and how to create a "film" from the "output"

Not exactly true. Ten years ago most of the compact cameras were bad, especially the cheaper ones. I recently found some old pictures a friend sent me from his Canon A530 and they looked really bad, much worse than a phone can do these days. And that camera was not exactly a cheap one.
So i think today's best camera phones are miles better than 90 percent of compact camera from 10 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
If IQ not matters, and a 28mm lens is needed, a phone will do the job

It's not just IQ, it could be versatility (i.e. mic, lights, filters, etc.), zoom/focus control, longer video needs, learning to take videos with dedicated equipment, etc.

At least this cameras don't take video in portrait format unless you are determined to...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
So i think today's best camera phones are miles better than 90 percent of compact camera from 10 years ago
Yes, just like any phone of today is miles better than any phone of ten years ago - technology improved a little in that time - and a today's compact camera offers far improved capabilities as well - not that of a cheap 5mpx camera from 2006.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
I am a little bit confused here....I didn´t see too much information about Canon Vixia G50 so far and this model i think it was anounnced in January and released in CES. So...I guess i am confused, Why Canon is going to launch a new camera in that line? Does it has several changes? Well if it does, it will kill the G50! Is it the same camera but with minor changes?

This Vixia camcorders they fall in the market of the amateur enthusiastic that love to have good footage of the vacations or for some family memories. I do think that this kind of cameras are being replaced by smartphones, but if Canon keeps launching this cameras, well....it´s because they have a good market for them!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Yes, just like any phone of today is miles better than any phone of ten years ago - technology improved a little in that time - and a today's compact camera offers far improved capabilities as well - not that of a cheap 5mpx camera from 2006.

My point was that while 10 years ago phones had unacceptable image quality for many, today they are good enough for most people, even photo enthusiasts, so they prefer convenience and won't purchase another compact for marginally better image quality.

Upvote 0
Canon: What do the people want?

The People: The G7X Mark III!

Canon: Camcorders?

The People: What? No, we want the G7X Ma-

Canon: Camcorders it is!

Jokes aside, the specs aren't bad (esp with the power zoom), but the price point for this (based on older models) is kind of weird. Kind of an idiot-proof prosumer item or something for someone who wants to pump out video without getting lost in specs, glass, etc.

I could see it being used in some wedding scenarios, sports, talking head/event youtube channels, and any/all meetings/depositions that need to be recorded.

Dual card slots, IBIS, huge battery, flexible lens, mic input, hdmi out, and of course, 4K. It has built in ND filters too, and while you're giving up depth of field with something like this, it's not all that important if your content isn't something that's supposed to be ultra-cinematic (though 2.8-4.5 is pretty damn good, especially with that kind of reach) and have a bunch of tasty b-roll floating around.

I don't see anything about the framerate options, but if they have 24fps, I'd legitimately consider it pending reviews to make sure it doesn't fall apart in spectacular fashion or overheat or anything.

Edit: looks like they just dropped a video on it.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
even photo enthusiasts, so they prefer convenience and won't purchase another compact for marginally better image quality.

Pure "image quality" means little - the issue is usually to achieve a given image quality operating in given conditions. IMHO photo "enthusiast" soon feel constrained by the lack of control on images taken with phones, especially since phone makers look more and more oriented to copy Kodak's "you press the button, we do the rest" approach - which after all is what snapshot takers want. Really, no surprise the lower end cameras and camcorders can be fully replaced by phones.

Still, as soon as the situation gets a little more demanding, dedicated devices still work better because they are quicker and easier to operate - and because of phones form factor constraint, will do for a long time.

These video cameras do offer what their target markets need - and phones can't address.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am a little bit confused here....I didn´t see too much information about Canon Vixia G50 so far and this model i think it was anounnced in January and released in CES. So...I guess i am confused, Why Canon is going to launch a new camera in that line? Does it has several changes? Well if it does, it will kill the G50! Is it the same camera but with minor changes?

The G50 is in the same series of XA 40-45 (smaller 1/2.3" sensor, 20x zoom, less bit rate)
The G60 is in the same series of XA 50-55 (larger 1" sensor, 15x zoom, higher bit rate)
Therefore, there are 3 camcorders in each category, one without XLR, one with XLR and one with both 3G-SDI and XLR.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
The G50 is in the same series of XA 40-45 (smaller 1/2.3" sensor, 20x zoom, less bit rate)
The G60 is in the same series of XA 50-55 (larger 1" sensor, 15x zoom, higher bit rate)
Therefore, there are 3 camcorders in each category, one without XLR, one with XLR and one with both 3G-SDI and XLR.
Thank you for the info bhf3737, it makes sense now this release. ;) (At least according to the series....:D )

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You should really offer to sit on Canon’s board. With you to advise them, I’m sure they’d be doing much better than #1 in several markets. :rolleyes:
Problem is, without a flux capacitor his genius will never grace Canon's 1980s boardroom. So we shall never know. :cry: Alas, Canon is still doomed at #1 on Earth. Nikon still owns the moon. ;) Just think of what could have been, but for a flux capacitor. Sony... meh.

Edit: Okay, Hasselblad owns the moon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0