Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here are the specifications of the upcoming Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II. We expect to see this announced alongside the PowerShot G7 X Mark III this week.
Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II Specifications: (Google Translated)

20.1 mp 1.0″ type stacked CMOS
DIGIC 8
5x optical zoom (converted 24-120 mm f / 1.8-2.8)
It is equipped with “RAW burst mode” that can shoot RAW images continuously with high-speed continuous shooting up to approx. 30.0 fps (up to 70)
In RAW burst mode, shooting starts with the shutter halfway pressed, and “pre-shooting” is possible, which allows recording from up to about 0.5 seconds before the shutter is fully pressed
Up to about 20.0 fps (up to 118 images) can be captured continuously with AF fixed even in continuous shooting in drive mode, and up to about 8.0 fps captured continuously with AF tracking
You can keep looking at the subject without blackout during continuous...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Keeping the mark I formula could have been too similar to the GIX mkIII.
So here we go… pop-up evf and hotshoe gone.
But the new lens is interesting even if i'm concerned by corner softness like on the G7X one...
Isn't strange to remove the hotshoe while including a mic jack?
side note : it's 5mm thicker than the G7X mkIII

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
So one or the two below mentioned features of G5X wiil be missing from G5X mark II ?

1. A hot shoe allows you to pair optional external flashes as well as other shoe-mounted accessories with the camera.
I guess people that need it are buying a M50 anyway.

2. A remote socket permits use of the optional RS-60E3 Remote Switch for wired remote camera control.
This thing has BLE and highly likely has CCAPI. What's wrong with wireless remote control?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This looks like it will be an impressive little camera. The EVF design is smart (though copied). Finally the RX-100 will have some competition. I hope it's slightly ruggedized like the G1X III - but it seems doubtful given the retractable EVF? This will be great for those times that I want to use a compact camera with high image quality. As a general rule, I can't stand using a smartphone for photos.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
No need to make anything up:
  1. One dial less
  2. AE compensation/mode dial combo
  3. No more always ready EVF
  4. (Depends who you ask), no flippy screen
  5. No hot shoe

Your personal opinions, priorities and preferences do not equate to a downgrade in usability - we could just as easily be looking at improved usability thanks to clever UI redesign.

I'll give you the possible lack of a hotshoe - but then we have to ask: how many people in the market for this camera need a hotshoe? It's not a downgrade in usability to remove what people aren't using...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How many years we waited for this! This is definitely downgrade from the first version. Hotshoe on Canon Gx was my primary motivation to have compact Canon with my Canon G5. This popup EVF was reason why I refused to go to Sony. This will be source for failures. OMG why they didn't continue with MKI form factor. I give up Canon compacts. Really very upset.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Your personal opinions, priorities and preferences do not equate to a downgrade in usability - we could just as easily be looking at improved usability thanks to clever UI redesign.

I'll give you the possible lack of a hotshoe - but then we have to ask: how many people in the market for this camera need a hotshoe? It's not a downgrade in usability to remove what people aren't using...
If they're there, one can choose whether to use them or not. If you remove something completely you do not have that freedom anymore, even if there was just one person using the hot shoe he cannot do that anymore, so it's less usable. Nor will any amount of clever UI design replace a whole physical dial - that same clever UI could be even better with that dial and people would have the possibility to choose to use it or not.

Edit. Perhaps what I am saying is: it is a different camera for different people than the mark I.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So typical Japanese. Take 2 steps forward, one step back.
Let's remove the swing screen to piss videographers and add tilting one to please photographers.
And then let's remove the hot shoe because what photographer would use the st-e3-rt?
Targeting one device to two separate segments just doesn't work. Unless it works ... for the corporation.

P.S. I bet (a beer) that the EVF will be as useless as the Sonys.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
  • Pop-up EVF
That's something I've always missed at the G7X. Hope that it is implemented well.
I don't know how G5X users think about this compared to the "original" camera, but this feature makes the G7X complete to me.
And if it's now called G5X... so what.
Gimme a good rebate and I am in ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0