Specifications and pricing for the Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS and Canon RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Great news, pricing for the new RF lenses is less than our currency conversion pricing in USD!
Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM

Lens construction: 16 elements in 12 groups
Minimum focusing distance: 0.28m
Maximum shooting magnification: 0.21 times
Number of aperture blades: 9
Filter diameter: 82mm
Size: φ88.5 × 126.8 mm
Weight: 840g (1.85lbs)
Image stabilization: 5 stops
USD Pricing: $2299
Late September 2019 availability

Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM

Lens construction: 21 elements in 15 groups
Minimum focusing distance: 0.21m (wide-angle end), 0.38m (telephoto end)
Maximum shooting magnification: 0.3x (when 32mm)
Number of aperture blades: 9
Filter diameter: 82mm
Size: φ88.5 × 125.7 mm
Weight: 900g (1.98lbs)
Image stabilization: 5 stops
USD pricing: $2299
Late September 2019 availability

RF24-70mm-5-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Feb 19, 2016
About what I expected with pricing. I hoped the wide angle might be a bit lighter but perhaps going to 15mm and having IS and one would guess top notch build and optics makes that harder - it's quite a bit heavier than the Sony GM 16-35 which is actually a high quality design just badly built.

I have been very happy adapting my EF 24-70 2.8L II to the R so I think I'll stick with that and see where things stand in a year or two when the price of the RF lens will have come down. The EF 24-70 2.8 L II is still probably the best all round 24-70 lens anyone has ever made, sharper even than the new Nikon Z 24-70. So it will be fascinating to see whether Canon has been able to improve it. I suppose for many just having IS will be a big improvement.

I had the 16-35 2.8 L III but sold it and have been happy using the Tamron 15-30 VC adapted. If the L lens really gets 5 stops of IS I might swap out soon. Waking around at sunset with a wide angle is so much fun with a stabilised lens.

One thing this really does make me ponder is whether Canon will bring IBIS to their cameras. Interestingly a while back Roger at Lensrentals did a teardown of the R and though he thought there was room for IBIS he didn't think Canon will be adding it any time soon. It would be nice to have with wide aperture primes but for the ways professionals use those lenses I suppose it isn't likely that important - how many professionals would risk shooting a wedding at slow shutter speeds? "Sorry the photo of the moment your new husband put the ring on your finger is blurry but I was trying to shoot at 1/15 so I could have ISO 100 and show off on some internet forums" said no professional ever.

It's a pity for me really because I liked the idea of adding IBIS to all my old adapted lenses but I trust Canon to know what they are doing and adding in lens IS to the holy trinity RF lenses will likely actually be better than IBIS anyway, at least most tests I've seen show in lens to be better than in body stabilisation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Can’t believe I’m saying this, but the 15-35 could become my second RF lens, once it hits the refurbished store. I can be patient, as I don’t use the EF f4 that often and would be perfectly happy with this lens even though it won’t mount on my DSLRs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Can’t believe I’m saying this, but the 15-35 could become my second RF lens, once it hits the refurbished store. I can be patient, as I don’t use the EF f4 that often and would be perfectly happy with this lens even though it won’t mount on my DSLRs.

That's the approach I've settled on too - I think there is simply no "perfect" camera because it depends so much on the lens. So I am happy with my 5D IV for the 24-70 L II and 70-200 2.8 L II. I can of course mount them on the R - the 24-70 is ok, though feels nicer on the 5D and the 70-200 is much nicer on the 5D.

However wide angles will become smaller and better on the RF mount and also some primes balance more nicely - I think eventually we'll see other lenses like the RF 35/1.8 which will be very nice to have.

I got the grip for my R and it improves it with long glass but still one can't defeat the laws of physics - a deeper mount and bigger camera will likely always be better on a 300//2.8.

It's also why I like the Ef-m cameras and I think Canon was wise to create a separate smaller mount for crop - horses for courses.

Upvote 0
I ask for some RF price lens today (85 F1.2+28-70 F2), And I was told that they are not consider for CPS, the buyer confirmed that with the Canon Rep. That sound strange to me I can see that on the U.S. they are! Did you guys tried and get some CPS prices on the RF lens yet?

Upvote 0
About what I expected with pricing. I hoped the wide angle might be a bit lighter but perhaps going to 15mm and having IS and one would guess top notch build and optics makes that harder - it's quite a bit heavier than the Sony GM 16-35 which is actually a high quality design just badly built.

A lot of people on this forum like to trash the Sony 16-35 GM, but it’s a better lens than the EF counterpart, early QC variations aside. It’s literally Sony’s best made zoom, and one of the top 2-3 lenses they make period.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I ask for some RF price lens today (85 F1.2+28-70 F2), And I was told that they are not consider for CPS, the buyer confirmed that with the Canon Rep. That sound strange to me I can see that on the U.S. they are! Did you guys tried and get some CPS prices on the RF lens yet?
I looked yesterday. The RF 85mm f/1.2L is not on the list, but probably because it is so new? The RF 50mm f/1.2L is there. The RF 28-70mm f/2L is there. The R is not. Less expensive RF lenses are there. So maybe they are slow to update?

Upvote 0
I looked yesterday. The RF 85mm f/1.2L is not on the list, but probably because it is so new? The RF 50mm f/1.2L is there. The RF 28-70mm f/2L is there. The R is not. Less expensive RF lenses are there. So maybe they are slow to update?
Where did you see that for Canon Canada? do you have link? Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0
No. Canon USA. They are probably slow to update things. That surprised me. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/canon-professional-services/about-cps
Did you get CPS prices? or are you talking about the page where you can register your gear? because if that's the case I see I can register a 40mm pancake lens and I'm pretty sure that a 200$ lens is not consider CPS price wise! PS: your link doesn't work I'm assuming it's your CPS portal! ( Edit)your link worked the second time...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Did you get CPS prices? or are you talking about the page where you can register your gear? because if that's the case I see I can register a 40mm pancake lens and I'm pretty sure that a 200$ lens is not consider CPS price wise! PS: your link doesn't work I'm assuming it's your CPS portal! ( Edit)your link worked the second time...
Fixed the link. You were right.

No, we are talking about the page that tells you which products qualify. The link takes you to the page with the different levels of CPS, scroll down to "Qualifying Products" and a drop down comes up telling the point value for each piece. The R isn't there. Neither is the RF 85mm f/1.2L.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
No, we are talking about the page that tells you which products qualify. The link takes you to the page with the different levels of CPS, scroll down to "Qualifying Products" and a drop down comes up telling the point value for each piece. The R isn't there.
“BeCuZ ThE R iSnT a PrO BoDY”....:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0