Canon to announce EOS-1D X equivalent EOS R system camera in 2021?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
According to a report in the Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, one of Japan’s primary newspapers, Canon will introduce a truly professional EOS R system camera in 2021.
In the report, they also state that early prototypes have already been manufactured and are in testing.
The article also suggests that it’s going to take Canon another 3 years to get the RF lens lineup to match up with the breadth and depth of the EF lineup. This seems quite likely, lenses are not easy to engineer and manufacture.
Canon also mentions that they’re working on a converter/adapter to turn a mirrorless camera into a DSLR.
We are also developing a converter that can join a mirrorless camera to an interchangeable lens for a single-lens reflex camera.
We’re not sure how that’s going to work...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
converter/adapter to turn a mirrorless camera into a DSLR

dumbledore-duel-harry-potter.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Ergonomically a OVF adaptor could only really work with a body such as the M6 II and even then one wonders how it would be able to screw it in to attach. Possibly the M mount on the adaptor would have to rotate separately from the adaptor in order for it to attach without the viewfinder getting in the way.

One does really wonder if there's any point. Unless it's to finally kill off the DSLRs and get the 7D diehards over to mirrorless.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Or maybe we'll see a mark II of the R which steps up the game a bit. 2021 seems way too long.

Just my two cents, but I don't think we'll see the R Mk II until 2022. Guessing the main selling points will be IBIS, a new sensor, and an updated processor (all pretty safe bets).

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
IF Canon is really not going to introduce a 5D level Rf mount until AFTER a 1DX kind of camera, wow, that is a frustrating, long wait.

On the other hand, the only thing I'm really missing with EF is a decent 50mm f/1.2, so maybe I've developed some tunnel vision here.

Maybe Canon's best efforts really did go into the R, and that's the best they can do right now. So what if other companies have IBIS, better EVF's for action, better weather sealing, better function controls...If Canon did their best, it is what it is.

And, of course, on this sight, if we speculate a tiny bit negatively about the future of Canon, the crusaders will question our intelligence, our mental health, and our motives. And then some of the crusaders' loyal sycophants will put us on their IGNORE list! :geek::geek::geek:

So just shut up or sing some praises.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
I sincerely hope the high res R can also double as some sort of 5D IV option thru the use of mRaw options (provided there's enough fps left and the blackout is better than the R).

Or maybe we'll see a mark II of the R which steps up the game a bit. 2021 seems way too long.
I agree. 2021 seems long for releasing this. I realize that's only 16 months from now but I would have thought fall of 2020 with select photographers testing it at the Olympics next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Yes wanting a next step over the 5D IV. I’m feeling the long refresh cycles. I’m due for an upgrade with my 5D3...waiting until late 2020 is not a happy thought. The high MP cameras likely won’t have the flexibility of either of these cameras.

I realize Sony seems to be pushing out cameras, but I am still not convinced of the sharpness of the a7r iV and then there is the color palate. If the rumors are true about the a9 ii with 30ish MP, it will be a beast. Hoping Canon gives us something soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes wanting a next step over the 5D IV. I’m feeling the long refresh cycles. I’m due for an upgrade with my 5D3...waiting until late 2020 is not a happy thought. The high MP cameras likely won’t have the flexibility of either of these cameras.

I realize Sony seems to be pushing out cameras, but I am still not convinced of the sharpness of the a7r iV and then there is the color palate. If the rumors are true about the a9 ii with 30ish MP, it will be a beast. Hoping Canon gives us something soon.
Have you tried a 5D Mark 4? It's a much bigger improvement over the 5D Mark 3 than specs suggest.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0