“Pro” EOS R camera coming in March 2020? [CR0]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A confusing new rumor is hitting the gear sites about a “pro” EOS R camera.
This rumor suggests that a 60mp “Pro” EOS R camera with a similar feature set and an EOS-1 level camera will be announced ahead of the Photography Show 2020 in March of 2020.
There are a couple of issues and confusion about this report.

No EOS-1D X level EOS R camera is going to get a 60mp sensor. It’ll be much lower resolution, likely in the 24-28mp range.
Announcing after CP+ in February doesn’t make a lot of sense, the Photography Show isn’t a major event for Canon. Now it could be announced ahead of CP+ and obviously showcased in the UK the following month.
We’ve been told that the high megapixel EOS R camera is what is coming next (other than the EOS Ra astrophotography camera). Such a camera could definitely be considered “pro”, but it won’t be an EOS-1D X level professional camera.

Definitely...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Maybe some teasing of the camera before it is displayed at the Photokina end of May in cologne on other shows?

If this camera includes Eye AF (the one which evaluates the eye position to set the AF spot), gets a sensor with overall excellent quality including a very clean 15 MPix full color mode (60MPix/4) and an advanced IBIS system it might be revolutionary and then they could stretch the introduction to get more attention ... because of a well rounded revolutionary product.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
take this report with a huge grain of salt.

DyqponZW0AEtL8L.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Upvote 0
No way 1D line continuation will have 60Mp in the R realm (nor in the D realm).
5DIV line is highly unlikely to have a 2x jump in megapixels.

A 60Mp R camera can only be a candidate for a 5DS replacement. But +10Mp increase doesn't sound plausible. It'll be just a catch-up to A7RIV.

So no, this rumour doesn't sound plausble. However it can make a good lengthy thread that will eventually fade away into the dynamic range discussion.

Actually I'm already asking myself if this 60Mp candidate will have DR any close to A7RIV...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
After some initial skepticism, I love my EOS R. As a landscape guy, my only major wishes are :

(1) a little more resolution to put it somewhere around the D850/A7...even 40-something MP would be great

(2) weather sealing equivalent to 5D series. This is the only reason I still use the 5D4 on landscape shoots. in fact, this is why I have no RF lenses yet...
no point in switching if both my bodies can't use 'em

(3) some firmware things like focus bracketing and some minor body ergonomic changes would be nice, but not really a big deal IMHO

So I wish they would just get on with it. Not sure why the ongoing foot dragging on the high resolution version, since the items above are fairly obvious to most people who would buy such a body.

I imagine lot more engineering needs to go into a R series 1D equivalent, so the delay there is easily understandable.

My bet is they are working on the next generation of sensors, so when they finally release the high MP R, I bet it will be very nice indeed.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The 1D was a PRO camera dedicated to news and sports, in those two cases, the frame rate and endless buffer are the main concern, not HUGE MP sensor. So probbaly both 1D and 1R won't have something over 28-30MP sensors. On the other hand, the 5D and 5R might get a 50MP sensor for those two were more directed to lansdacpe/nature/fashion/art (and don't kill me for forgetting other needs) where larger MP is more important than high frame rate or buffer. My hope is that Canon will get both 1D and 1R, 5D and 5R and, still hope, 7D and 7R each alongside both mirror and mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I am happy there is a mention of a Pro Mirrorless. Even if it has zero-rating. Some relief. I am camera-less right now (because of a theft - Just a Sony to get by. I am so waiting to restart. Don't want to buy DSLR - RF are better lenses. Cant buy RF lenses as as they do not fit on the better DSLR cameras. The more I think about it the more I feel Canon is a very sharp company - they are playing it such that people end up owing both kind of cameras.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
After some initial skepticism, I love my EOS R. As a landscape guy, my only major wishes are :

(1) a little more resolution to put it somewhere around the D850/A7...even 40-something MP would be great

(2) weather sealing equivalent to 5D series. This is the only reason I still use the 5D4 on landscape shoots. in fact, this is why I have no RF lenses yet...
no point in switching if both my bodies can't use 'em

(3) some firmware things like focus bracketing and some minor body ergonomic changes would be nice, but not really a big deal IMHO

So I wish they would just get on with it. Not sure why the ongoing foot dragging on the high resolution version, since the items above are fairly obvious to most people who would buy such a body.

I imagine lot more engineering needs to go into a R series 1D equivalent, so the delay there is easily understandable.

My bet is they are working on the next generation of sensors, so when they finally release the high MP R, I bet it will be very nice indeed.

Engineering issues, understanding. But the word 'milking' comes to mind.

Upvote 0
Note: The post below is *complete* speculation, just written from the perspective of competing with a competitor that is actually getting traction.

I don't think a 60 mp r equivalent '5dv' is out of the realm of possibility. I consider the a7riii the competitor to the 5div for two of the biggest categories of photographers: weddings and 'general purpose' pro shooters, even if they didn't make as many inroads into those markets as they hoped with that camera. After that release Sony then went on to have a major hit on their hands with the prosumers with the a7siii, and really learned just how valuable their eye tracking and having 10fps was to the market. They made sure those two aspects of performance were included with their next a7r version, and it's now out and getting rave reviews from people who dismissed the last one.

The a7riv is squarely aimed at the 5d crowd. Same price for much better specs than what is currently available, resolution AND speed. Canon HAS to be in the same ballpark on this one. I can almost guarantee that a Nikon version of this sensor will come as well next year. There's no rule that says Canon has to use a sensor that is a perfect upscaling of the new aps-c chip that puts it at 83mp. By having a less dense sensor they might be able to keep the speeds up and the heat down, which means lower baseline heat before you add in heat generated from IBIS.

They hinted all along that the R mount cameras might not directly correlate to existing lines, so maybe if the Sony a7riv is $3599, the similar in performance pro R is $4100 or so. And maybe when the real high rez r mount version is out we'll see that mythical 100mp+ sensor we've seen patents on. Some point down the road we'll probably see the 5dv mirrored version and a R II with a 38-42 mp sensor , and the price difference between the two might not be as dramatic.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
This may be a case where someone is confusing potential releases for the DSLR / R lines. The 5dIV is considered a "pro" camera to most and this could simply be the 5d V that was rumored in an earlier post. I would think if it was the hi-res R camera rumored Canon would be going for the gold with an 80mp+ upscale of the m6 II sensor rather than just equalling the Sony a7rIV. I don't remember if the 5d V rumor carried a MP speculation. We also have the rumor of the 1dx III which could have been confused with this rumor, although 60mp would make absolutely no sense. My head is hurting, I personally would move this rumor to a CR (-1) until there is some clarity.

Upvote 0
I am happy there is a mention of a Pro Mirrorless. Even if it has zero-rating. Some relief. I am camera-less right now (because of a theft - Just a Sony to get by. I am so waiting to restart. Don't want to buy DSLR - RF are better lenses. Cant buy RF lenses as as they do not fit on the better DSLR cameras. The more I think about it the more I feel Canon is a very sharp company - they are playing it such that people end up owing both kind of cameras.
The future is always rosier than the present. Better to shoot now and salivate later.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
My setup up until recently was the 5DM4 and the 5DM2 as my backup. I bought the EOS R 2 weeks ago to replace the 5DM2, but with all the rumors of a more pro version R, I am considering returning it and just getting the upgrade when it releases.

I just got a rose-colored filter for my camera. It works out great!

Upvote 0