SIGMA to address their RF mount plans in early 2020 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told that SIGMA is actively working on an RF mount lens roadmap and will announce their plans sometime in early 2020, I would suspect an announcement ahead of CP+ in February would be the ideal time to do so.
Apparently distributors have received some early information about SIGMA’s plans, but our source on this one didn’t want to divulge any more information.
It would be great for the EOS R system if SIGMA gets on board early with compelling lenses.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm hoping for Sigma to release their excellent and affordable 2,8/14-24 WA zoom, unless Canon produces one of those "crazy" UWA primes...

With Canon's UWA RF zoom going down to 15mm, I wonder how much demand there will be for a 14-24. Smaller zoom ratio, no IS and not filterable with a screw on filter...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm hoping for Sigma to release their excellent and affordable 2,8/14-24 WA zoom, unless Canon produces one of those "crazy" UWA primes...

Why not just use the current Canon mount with an adapter?

Has anybody been using current Sigma lenses with the R? I have a macro, but I just realized I haven't tried it yet!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Has anybody been using current Sigma lenses with the R? I have a macro, but I just realized I haven't tried it yet!

I'm using the Sigma 35/1.4 on my new RP with firmware 1.4. The autofocus is reasonably accurate and reasonably fast, but isn't as good in either respect as Canon's 85/1.8 on the same body. Would an RF native Sigma lens perform better than a Canon lens? I'm not sure.

EDIT: "as well as," not "better than" (a Canon lens).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Arod820

Camera Operator
Sep 19, 2018
Miami

I’ve used my f1.8 zooms on the R with crop, works seamlessly for video. Af at 60fps didn’t work but maybe the firmware fixed that. For photo it does lower your megapixels though

Upvote 0