Patent: Pop up viewfinder to allow for larger rear LCD displays

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Northlight has uncovered a patent showing a pop-up viewfinder for PowerShot cameras, which also includes an eye-detection sensor.
It appears that this development will allow for a larger LCD on the rear of the camera.
While this looks like it would be for PowerShot cameras, perhaps a future very small form factor RF mount camera could use this sort of viewfinder as well.

Continue reading...

I got the idea that the invention is that the viewfinder pops out automatically. I wonder how they prevent false popping like if the camera is on the neck.
Looking at the patent application...
The main idea is that the eye detect sensor is moved into the pop-up EVF bit, so that it isn't in part of the main camera body/screen and thus impinging on the available area for the screen.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
The patent is for 'eye detection' not a pop-up viewfinder.

That's how it prevents false popping, because it isn't a simple sensor looking for light to be blocked or a proximity sensor so if its hanging from around your neck laying on your chest it would pop-up.

This is specifically detecting the presence of an eye to engage the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The patent is for 'eye detection' not a pop-up viewfinder.

That's how it prevents false popping, because it isn't a simple sensor looking for light to be blocked or a proximity sensor so if its hanging from around your neck laying on your chest it would pop-up.

This is specifically detecting the presence of an eye to engage the viewfinder.
That would be great for my R. It gets triggered and is a nuisance. I don't want to disable it so I put up with false triggering.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
just do it, Canon. Want to see EOS M60 with pop-up EVF abd M6 II sensor + AF. And maybe also an M5 II.

EOS R lineup? Not very likely. They are more for people wanting chunky grips, shoulder LCD displays and big, (D)SLR-style viewfinder humps on top. to them it is only a "real camera" if it looks similar to a late 1980's EOS SLR.

Who exactly are these people you seem to know so well?

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2019
My understanding of the patent application is that crucial points are:
  • The eye detection unit is placed within the unit holding the rear display and thus moves when the display is moved on its hinge arrangement.
  • The detector is in the top part of the display unit between the hinges and thus does not require the display unit to be made bigger than it would have been had the detector not been there.
  • The eye detector is offset from the viewfinder so that, if the display is hinged up 180 degrees, the viewfinder does not cause the eye detector to falsely determine someone is looking through the viewfinder. Likewise, the detector is offset to the left of the camera's centre-line to give the best chance of detecting a face in its vicinity. (So it doesn't matter which eye is used.)
  • The arrangement allows a pop-up viewfinder which can also be tilted to allow easier viewfinder use at awkward camera angles.
I'm not sure exactly what is the novel feature, but I assume it's putting eye detection in the rear display assembly, the other points then being ramifications necessary to make it the best workable implementation.

Upvote 0
The arrangement allows a pop-up viewfinder which can also be tilted to allow easier viewfinder use at awkward camera angles.

exactly!

exactly what i am waiting for: M6 II sensor + AF in a (slightly) enlarged, "G5X II style" body with (vastly improved) pop-up EVF, utilizing this patent. single sd uhs-II card slot and no video recording no issue but preferred. price like M50. take my money.

Upvote 0