Canon releases MacOS version of their EOS Webcam Utility

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Back in April Canon released its EOS webcam utility application for Windows, and now they have released a MacOS version.
The EOS Webcam Utility Beta software solution requires one single USB plug (which may need to be purchased separately) to connect the camera to a Windows* operating systems computer. Once the software is downloaded and the camera is configured within a video conferencing application, the user will be ready to go.
Canon EOS Webcam Utility for MacOS and Windows

Compatible cameras
EOS DSLR Cameras

EOS-1D X Mark II...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2014
Tried it (on Windows) with a 5D4 - works, but has no configuration options. You can configure on the camera, though. For autofocus to work during video chats the camera must be in Video mode. Also, you need to make sure that EOS utility (if installed) does not take control of the camera, otherwise it won't show up as an available camera in video conferencing applications.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
MacMini with Catalina 10.15.5 works with M6M2 and 22 f/2 in the MS Teams native app. Didn't bother with the 1DX2.

Unfortunately my M3 and M5 only give the splash screen. I would have used the M3 as a dedicated webcam. This isn't the fault of the EOS Webcam Utility - it was probably left out of the camera in favor of their wireless control for remote shooting. From the EOS Utility manual:

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 9.23.59 AM.png

Still planning on getting the CamLink solution when it is back in stock. That works will all devices that provide HDMI out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Now where's the Linux version? :ROFLMAO:
Probably won't happen, considering how desktop Linux is such a niche target for most companies but one can dream.

I'd a million times rather see them port their other stuff to Linux (DPP, the camera utilities, whatever it is one uses to tether their camera), than this.

Upvote 0
I used this for a couple of hours while teaching today and the battery indicator remained at full power throughout the call. After finishing, I plugged in the battery to charge it and it was still fully charged. The fact that my EOS R seems to at least retain charge via the USB-C connection with my MacBook Pro running Catalina is a significant, positive, and very welcome difference from one tester's experience using the PC version with a 1DX III.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I've used it with my EOSR and the RF 35mm f1.8.
It works flawlessly with Teams and Zoom, I've had so many comments like "wow your webcam looks amazing".
It'll be interesting to see if it works as well on Mac.

Are you you using a Chrome browser and the web based version of Zoom? The video said it was not compatible with Zoom on Safari or the desktop version. About 1-2 version back, they changed the Zoom desktop software where it would not work with virtual camera feeds, which is one of the methods used to connect a camera feed over USB. Just curious.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I used this for a couple of hours while teaching today and the battery indicator remained at full power throughout the call. After finishing, I plugged in the battery to charge it and it was still fully charged. The fact that my EOS R seems to at least retain charge via the USB-C connection with my MacBook Pro running Catalina is a significant, positive, and very welcome difference from one tester's experience using the PC version with a 1DX III.

Unless I am mistaken, the EOS R charges via USB C while in use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It does not, it needs to have the power switch in the "Off" position. Unless Canon snuck that in in the latest firmware update.

My use pattern during my test was to use the camera for the introductions and at the end and beginning of each module, then switch it off while presenting my slides, since the students could not see my face anyway. Even if the EOS R only charges while it is off, that will still be useful for me.

Upvote 0