$4 Million Photograph

cayenne said:
CarlTN said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
The question : "Bad Photography becomes salable art " can apply to music. Never sold as much bad music sells nowadays. It is also a fact that never did so much bad photography as today. The internet is full of bad photos . But no one can force me to buy a stock that I do not like , and no one can force me to agree that a photo is good just because it was sold for a fortune .

The problem is that the "average taste" is undemanding when it comes to CONTENTS . A photo cell can be good if the theme is interressante and achievement is well taken . Similarly , a photograph of medium format camera can be uninteresting ( even if technically perfect ) for lack of subject content .

I'm sure Billie Holiday would not need to make a music video like Miley Cyrus ( nude in a wrecking ball ) because the music was enough to hold the attention . Tanbem think Cartier - Bresson would not need to use the perfect technique to mask the lack of content in your photographs .

Well said. Billie Holiday had a magical voice and talent. Unfortunately our culture today celebrates the mundane and the vulgar. It celebrates the idiocy of youth.

Do you own any Tesla stock, out of curiousity? I have strong opinions about Elon Musk...haha. I've never bought that stock, but am beginning to wonder if it isn't worth trading after all. That way I too, like Elon, can profit off the taxpayers' backs.

I think a lot of this is fallout from MTV of the 80's.

I mean, yes..it did seem to save rock music, but it also propogated that only GOOD LOOKING folks are to be promoted to be todays music stars...not talent.

Many of my favorite groups of the past were butt-ugly, but you didn't see them that often, you heard them and learned to love quality songs/albums they put out.

And also, there is the proliferation of music today listened to on really low quality systems...ipods with horrible earbuds (most people don't replace them with quality ones), or now, the Beats headphones, that are just awful middle of the road bad bass, with no real dynamics. This has all led to the compression wars that have killed dynamic range on music in order to just make it louder sounding. I grates on the ears....and it has affected even old recordings when remastered.

Wow, ok, I'm getting way off photography...but still, I still amaze kids that come by and hear what a REAL high end stereo system can sounds like...tube SET amps running Klipschorn speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/klipschorn-floorstanding-speaker
Now that is a pleasing system to listen to..while post processing images.

There...I brought it back to photography!!
:D

cayenne

I actually think Wrecking Ball is a very good pop song, but I agree music has gone downhill.

The kinds of rock bands that are talented and clever enough to write raw, gutsy music (like the Stones or Nirvana or even the Pumpkins or Pixies more recently) are now for whatever reason doing esoteric music that’s too cold and intellectual and difficult to access. And the emotional immediacy isn’t there; it’s just very formal and cold and you need to think about it to appreciate it.

I like the immediacy of Miley or Britney Spears, but the music is written by committee and takes no risks whatsoever. It’s garbage, but some of it is good, well-crafted garbage...

The loudness wars… that’s another issue. Speakers are so bad music needs to be compressed to fit into a tiny dynamic range. Reminds me of HDR, actually, which I think is hideous and only looks good on a small iPhone screen or something (never printed large) and is why I like these 8x10 photos.

That said, Gursky to me falls into the visual camp that’s analogous to bands that are talented musicians but too distant and self-aware to make anything raw. Which is why this photo is so silly in many respects. And why high art is so silly (it’s too intellectual). But I do think a lot of his work is good, and prefer this photo to any HDR. (There is some good commercial photography, too, but most of it is in print… actual commercials. A lot of middlebow “art” is horrible. Stuck in Customs is the worst photography I’ve ever seen. It's like Kinkade's paintings. I’m sorry to be a snob, but this stuff is the worst of both worlds. There has been good stuff that occupies this space, and it's the best stuff… Beatles, Spielberg, etc.)

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
cayenne said:
CarlTN said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
The question : "Bad Photography becomes salable art " can apply to music. Never sold as much bad music sells nowadays. It is also a fact that never did so much bad photography as today. The internet is full of bad photos . But no one can force me to buy a stock that I do not like , and no one can force me to agree that a photo is good just because it was sold for a fortune .

The problem is that the "average taste" is undemanding when it comes to CONTENTS . A photo cell can be good if the theme is interressante and achievement is well taken . Similarly , a photograph of medium format camera can be uninteresting ( even if technically perfect ) for lack of subject content .

I'm sure Billie Holiday would not need to make a music video like Miley Cyrus ( nude in a wrecking ball ) because the music was enough to hold the attention . Tanbem think Cartier - Bresson would not need to use the perfect technique to mask the lack of content in your photographs .

Well said. Billie Holiday had a magical voice and talent. Unfortunately our culture today celebrates the mundane and the vulgar. It celebrates the idiocy of youth.

Do you own any Tesla stock, out of curiousity? I have strong opinions about Elon Musk...haha. I've never bought that stock, but am beginning to wonder if it isn't worth trading after all. That way I too, like Elon, can profit off the taxpayers' backs.

I think a lot of this is fallout from MTV of the 80's.

I mean, yes..it did seem to save rock music, but it also propogated that only GOOD LOOKING folks are to be promoted to be todays music stars...not talent.

Many of my favorite groups of the past were butt-ugly, but you didn't see them that often, you heard them and learned to love quality songs/albums they put out.

And also, there is the proliferation of music today listened to on really low quality systems...ipods with horrible earbuds (most people don't replace them with quality ones), or now, the Beats headphones, that are just awful middle of the road bad bass, with no real dynamics. This has all led to the compression wars that have killed dynamic range on music in order to just make it louder sounding. I grates on the ears....and it has affected even old recordings when remastered.

Wow, ok, I'm getting way off photography...but still, I still amaze kids that come by and hear what a REAL high end stereo system can sounds like...tube SET amps running Klipschorn speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/klipschorn-floorstanding-speaker
Now that is a pleasing system to listen to..while post processing images.

There...I brought it back to photography!!

cayenne

That's a superb speaker! I've owned some highend stuff as well. Still have a Rogue 88 tube amp, sold my bottlehead Paramour 2A3 monoblock kits to a cousin. Haven't heard if he's built them. We should talk audio sometime!

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Policar said:
I actually think Wrecking Ball is a very good pop song, but I agree music has gone downhill.

The bands that are talented and clever enough to write raw, gutsy music (like the Stones or Nirvana or even the Pumpkins or Pixies more recently) are now for whatever reason doing esoteric music that’s too cold and intellectual and difficult to access. And the emotional immediacy isn’t there; it’s just very formal and cold and you need to think about it to appreciate it.

I like the immediacy of Miley or Britney Spears, but the music is written by committee and takes no risks whatsoever. It’s garbage, but some of it is good, well-crafted garbage...

The loudness wars… that’s another issue. Speakers are so bad music needs to be compressed to fit into a tiny dynamic range. Reminds me of HDR, actually, which I think is hideous and only looks good on a small iPhone screen or something (never printed large) and is why I like these 8x10 photos.

That said, Gursky to me falls into the visual camp that’s analogous to bands that are talented musicians but too distant and self-aware to make anything raw. Which is why this photo is so silly in many respects. And why high art is so silly (it’s too intellectual). But I do think a lot of his work is good, and prefer this photo to any HDR. (There is some good commercial photography, too, but most of it is in print… actual commercials. A lot of middlebow “art” is horrible. Stuck in Customs is the worst photography I’ve ever seen. It's like Kinkade's paintings. I’m sorry to be a snob, but this stuff is the worst of both worlds. There has been good stuff that occupies this space, and it's the best stuff… Beatles, Spielberg, etc.)

I honestly think Miley is someone who can only be appreciated by people near her age, who haven't lived through when music meant more, concerts meant more, and it wasn't all promoted and pigeonholed to where it had to either be idiot "hip hop pop", just "hip hop", "rap", or "country".

Rock is dead, because that's how the industry wants it. If they promoted it, kids today would love it. Just ask what type of music most kids in Northern and central Europe...and South America like. Bands like Iron Maiden couldn't tour the way they have in these places, if the youth didn't love them.

I also disagree that MTV kept rock music alive. The fans kept it alive IN SPITE OF MTV. MTV really promoted "new wave" and top 40 pop music such as Madonna and Boy George ("Culture Club"), more than "rock" acts of the time. It wasn't until the late 80's that "hair metal" became the rage. And plaid shirts, saggy pants, the whole Seattle cultural takeover, was a direct reaction by the music industry, to find something that was the opposite of hair metal, but that was still "rock". After a time they needed to modify it further, so was born "heavy industrial"...but then in the late '90's, there was a brief European influence of "techno pop", because people got tired of angry plaid wearing Seattle artists whose daddies died when they were age 13...then when they discovered Neil Young could be their surrogate daddy, a lot of their fans stopped thinking of them as relevant.

In the 1980's, we would have never liked the type of music that most kids like today. We still like the music from that era, when our favorite bands tour, we attend in droves. Some of today's youth also attend, even without their parents. I've seen them. U2 set the record for highest grossing, and longest single tour, with "360" (2009 to 2011). It also cost the most to produce. Having seen it twice, I feel it was worth it. But those counted toward the nearly 50 large concerts I've attended in my life.

In 2000, for KISS's "farewell tour" of that time, they actually sold more tickets than Britney Spears (and that was at Spears' peak). Her tour however, grossed more money, because ticket prices were jacked up a lot for her, and those fans paid. But 2000, was 24 years after KISS was at their peak (1976).

24 years from now, will Cyrus, or Spears (in her case 10 years from now...and pathetically she's Cyrus' "idol")...be able to tour and sell more tickets than whatever the current popular act is of that time? Nope...no way. Why? I say because their "fans" are not fans of them or their music, only of a culture of idiocy promoted by people who don't care a whit about artistry.

Music today, is simply a much smaller industry than before Napster and MP3 music sharing took off (and eventually before Apple's iPod took over). The profit margin is a lot lower, because of downloadable music. So the industry, promotes a few acts, to a degree...but ignores the rest. And the music companies, apparently hate rock music. That's why it's not promoted...not because the artists are too esoteric. There are plenty of local rock bands in every city that are good enough to have made the big time (at least one from each city I would guess), were they in a different era in time.

None of today's acts in the USA are "mega artists", on the level of the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, or even U2. Why? Well, because their music is not as good, and as artists, they aren't as good. History will show that.

Lady Gaga, in my opinion, is more of an artist than most of the other females who have made it big. She actually sings, dances, plays piano, and writes much of her own music. The others don't seem to be able to play a musical instrument. Miley can play an acoustic guitar on occasion, but I don't get the sense she enjoys it. Taylor Swift enjoys playing guitar, but she's another story.

As for speakers being bad, compressor limiters have been around since the 1960's. The whole reason for it, has more to do with ambient noise in the end user's listening environment, rather than speakers. It's also the reason compression is used for live performances (that and to put less stress on the PA). Basically, popular music needs to be compressed, because it needs to sound loud, even when it is played back fairly quietly...because most consumers are listening in a car, or in some place where people are trying to shout over the music.

Ever been to a party or concert where people don't try to yell over the music? I've not.

In summation, what I'm trying to say is, it's a good thing Jay Z wasn't around to stomp out early blues and rock from the 1950's, that southern people (and people in Chicago and especially Detroit)...of his own race, invented. I'm glad it took so long for rock music to die. Hopefully it will be resurrected for the youth culture, but I guess it will be different than it was.

Youth culture today, musically celebrates thuggery, vulgarity, misogyny, in a way that is very hypocritical...not to mention it sounds really lame. And it's because the people in charge of what music gets promoted and played on air, want it that way. It's got little to nothing to do with a spontaneous desire for such, by the consumers of that music.

Upvote 0
Artist's image played an important role since the popularization of television in the '50s , but with the MTV, the music became secondary. From this, neither young artist would be paunchy , toothless , and could never be above 30 years of age to build a career "youth idol" . Today , a young singer must have a sensuous image , and preferably a large and slinky ass. Then type or breasts sticking her blouse with her ​​nipples . The male artists (ironically) have to be effeminate appearance but hostile attitude (Bieber) .

A good quality music still being made everywhere , but does not sell millions , and the record is not Youtube . The phones that play music and video in "random" mode makes a pass time that satisfies the immediacy , and prevents the contemplation of the moment where everything stops to listen to music .

Excess images on the internet also trivialized the photograph. The "selfies" of teenagers looking at himself the mirror cram Facebook, and they do not care about aesthetics , and even keep the files for the future . If Facebook goes bankrupt in 10 years , the photographs of a whole generation of young people will cease to exist . It is the culture of disposability . And exhibitionism Tweeter and WhatsApp ?

If music has been disposable, photography also. We, photographers trust our photo files storage on your computer, or in the "cloud", but it does not last many years, as the real photographic paper. A large magnetic tespestade the sun can destroy our digital files, and have no more analog photographic negative. In the distant future, archaeologists will find what about our current civilization?

elvis1.jpg

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
CarlTN said:
Policar said:

The bands that are talented and clever enough to write raw, gutsy music (like the Stones or Nirvana or even the Pumpkins or Pixies more recently) are now for whatever reason doing esoteric music that’s too cold and intellectual and difficult to access. And the emotional immediacy isn’t there; it’s just very formal and cold and you need to think about it to appreciate it.

I honestly think Miley is someone who can only be appreciated by people near her age, who haven't lived through when music meant more, concerts meant more, and it wasn't all promoted and pigeonholed to where it had to either be idiot "hip hop pop", just "hip hop", "rap", or "country".

Rock is dead, because that's how the industry wants it. If they promoted it, kids today would love it. Just ask what type of music most kids in Northern and central Europe...and South America like. Bands like Iron Maiden couldn't tour the way they have in these places, if the youth didn't love them.

I also disagree that MTV kept rock music alive. The fans kept it alive IN SPITE OF MTV. MTV really promoted "new wave" and top 40 pop music such as Madonna and Boy George ("Culture Club"), more than "rock" acts of the time. It wasn't until the late 80's that "hair metal" became the rage. And plaid shirts, saggy pants, the whole Seattle cultural takeover, was a direct reaction by the music industry, to find something that was the opposite of hair metal, but that was still "rock". After a time they needed to modify it further, so was born "heavy industrial"...but then in the late '90's, there was a brief European influence of "techno pop", because people got tired of angry plaid wearing Seattle artists whose daddies died when they were age 13...then when they discovered Neil Young could be their surrogate daddy, a lot of their fans stopped thinking of them as relevant.

In the 1980's, we would have never liked the type of music that most kids like today. We still like the music from that era, when our favorite bands tour, we attend in droves. Some of today's youth also attend, even without their parents. I've seen them. U2 set the record for highest grossing, and longest single tour, with "360" (2009 to 2011). It also cost the most to produce. Having seen it twice, I feel it was worth it. But those counted toward the nearly 50 large concerts I've attended in my life.

In 2000, for KISS's "farewell tour" of that time, they actually sold more tickets than Britney Spears (and that was at Spears' peak). Her tour however, grossed more money, because ticket prices were jacked up a lot for her, and those fans paid. But 2000, was 24 years after KISS was at their peak (1976).

24 years from now, will Cyrus, or Spears (in her case 10 years from now...and pathetically she's Cyrus' "idol")...be able to tour and sell more tickets than whatever the current popular act is of that time? Nope...no way. Why? I say because their "fans" are not fans of them or their music, only of a culture of idiocy promoted by people who don't care a whit about artistry.

Music today, is simply a much smaller industry than before Napster and MP3 music sharing took off (and eventually before Apple's iPod took over). The profit margin is a lot lower, because of downloadable music. So the industry, promotes a few acts, to a degree...but ignores the rest. And the music companies, apparently hate rock music. That's why it's not promoted...not because the artists are too esoteric. There are plenty of local rock bands in every city that are good enough to have made the big time (at least one from each city I would guess), were they in a different era in time.

None of today's acts in the USA are "mega artists", on the level of the Beatles, the Stones, Zeppelin, or even U2. Why? Well, because their music is not as good, and as artists, they aren't as good. History will show that.

Lady Gaga, in my opinion, is more of an artist than most of the other females who have made it big. She actually sings, dances, plays piano, and writes much of her own music. The others don't seem to be able to play a musical instrument. Miley can play an acoustic guitar on occasion, but I don't get the sense she enjoys it. Taylor Swift enjoys playing guitar, but she's another story.

As for speakers being bad, compressor limiters have been around since the 1960's. The whole reason for it, has more to do with ambient noise in the end user's listening environment, rather than speakers. It's also the reason compression is used for live performances (that and to put less stress on the PA). Basically, popular music needs to be compressed, because it needs to sound loud, even when it is played back fairly quietly...because most consumers are listening in a car, or in some place where people are trying to shout over the music.

Ever been to a party or concert where people don't try to yell over the music? I've not.

In summation, what I'm trying to say is, it's a good thing Jay Z wasn't around to stomp out early blues and rock from the 1950's, that southern people (and people in Chicago and especially Detroit)...of his own race, invented. I'm glad it took so long for rock music to die. Hopefully it will be resurrected for the youth culture, but I guess it will be different than it was.

Youth culture today, musically celebrates thuggery, vulgarity, misogyny, in a way that is very hypocritical...not to mention it sounds really lame. And it's because the people in charge of what music gets promoted and played on air, want it that way. It's got little to nothing to do with a spontaneous desire for such, by the consumers of that music.

When I see very young kids today, wearing AC/DC and Zeppelin and Stones tshirts, and actually also LISTENING to the music of my day, I'm torn on how to feel about it.

I mean, I'm happy that it shows the artists of my day put out good material that has stood the test of time, but I also feel bad for them in that, there SHOULD have been a number of bands that had taken their place over these past few decades with solid music that the world would be enjoying and be a common language for the youth of generations past mine, but it appears that got side tracked along the way somewhere.

I find it funny to be wearing on occasion one of my genuine concerts shirts from the day...and seeing a kid that is about 12yrs old, wearing a reproduction of it. I drove into a parking lot at a grocery store the other day, it was a friday afternoon after work, I had the top down and was jamming to old Zeppelin Dazed and Confused, the 30 min version on The Song Remains the Same soundtrack album. I guess it was blaring.

I shut it and the car down, got out and walking in, one of the very young stock boys was sitting outside on break and started kinda head banging my way and shouted "Hey, great song man, I love zeppelin".

I smiled, but when I got inside, I wondered, how the hell did a kid that young know that song well enough to know what it was? I mean, it was in the middle of the part where Jimmy was playing a heavily effects driving guitar with a violin bow...unrecongnizeable to most anyone that was a Zep fan from my age I'd have thought.

Interesting...interesting.

Oh and yes, I'd love to talk stereo some too....stereos that "glow" are cool. EVerything is better in audio with tubes IMHO.

cayenne

Upvote 0
Before anyone start posting pictures of squirrels to restore sanity ... The issue is that conceptual art (and contemporary photography ) gives me nausea . They are supported by a dozen wealthy investors who are more " understood " that the true artists . To me the opinion of other photographers about a photo has great value . On the other hand , to me the opinion of art critics worth as much as a piece of feces , because they do not know anything about photography.

I'm not a professional musician , but I play guitar at church weekly , and I know the value of music is emotion. If the music does not thrill ( positively or negatively ) who listens , then there is no reason to listen to it . The visual arts are also cause emotions in the beholder. Otherwise is something sterile and useless. However , everyone has the right to make the kind of art he like . One can not force me to agree that a work is worth millions because of the artist signing .

Thankfully discs Led Zeppelin did not cost 4 million after being established artists. For if it were so, I would go bankrupt. I guess that 30 years later today, the discs Led Zeppelin continue to be desired and heard by many people. And Justin Bieber discs will cost less than a used condom. :p Excuse me friends of Canada. ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ajfotofilmagem said:
Thankfully discs Led Zeppelin did not cost 4 million after being established artists. For if it were so, I would go bankrupt. I guess that 30 years later today, the discs Led Zeppelin continue to be desired and heard by many people. And Justin Bieber discs will cost less than a used condom. :p Excuse me friends of Canada. ;D

Don't make fun of Justin Beiber..... He saved my Dad's life..... Dad was in a coma in the hospital for three months, completely unresponsive. The nurse turned the radio to a Justin Beiber song and Dad came out of the coma, stood up, walked to the radio, and turned it off :)

Don't worry about offending Canadians by dissing Justin Beiber... He is as well loved up here as appendecitis....

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Don't make fun of Justin Beiber..... He saved my Dad's life..... Dad was in a coma in the hospital for three months, completely unresponsive. The nurse turned the radio to a Justin Beiber song and Dad came out of the coma, stood up, walked to the radio, and turned it off :)
Don't worry about offending Canadians by dissing Justin Beiber... He is as well loved up here as appendecitis....
Wow! Justin Bieber should be canonized because he's done a miracle. :p But, let's think of deaf patients who can not benefit from the healing power of Bieber. :-[ Oh, I know. ::) We put a picture of 4 million in front of the bed, and the patient will be so bored of looking at it, he will stand up to remove that annoying image of the front. ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
Artist's image played an important role since the popularization of television in the '50s , but with the MTV, the music became secondary.

You are correct. But I say if you want your files to last a long time, have them stamped on some sort of gold CD-R's (I don't think you can do gold DVD-R, or B-DR...not sure). Then put them inside a thick carbon fiber safe box, and bury it a mile under ground...:p

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
cayenne said:
When I see very young kids today, wearing AC/DC and Zeppelin and Stones tshirts, and actually also LISTENING to the music of my day, I'm torn on how to feel about it.

I mean, I'm happy that it shows the artists of my day put out good material that has stood the test of time, but I also feel bad for them in that, there SHOULD have been a number of bands that had taken their place over these past few decades with solid music that the world would be enjoying and be a common language for the youth of generations past mine, but it appears that got side tracked along the way somewhere.

I find it funny to be wearing on occasion one of my genuine concerts shirts from the day...and seeing a kid that is about 12yrs old, wearing a reproduction of it. I drove into a parking lot at a grocery store the other day, it was a friday afternoon after work, I had the top down and was jamming to old Zeppelin Dazed and Confused, the 30 min version on The Song Remains the Same soundtrack album. I guess it was blaring.

I shut it and the car down, got out and walking in, one of the very young stock boys was sitting outside on break and started kinda head banging my way and shouted "Hey, great song man, I love zeppelin".

I smiled, but when I got inside, I wondered, how the hell did a kid that young know that song well enough to know what it was? I mean, it was in the middle of the part where Jimmy was playing a heavily effects driving guitar with a violin bow...unrecongnizeable to most anyone that was a Zep fan from my age I'd have thought.

Interesting...interesting.

Oh and yes, I'd love to talk stereo some too....stereos that "glow" are cool. EVerything is better in audio with tubes IMHO.

cayenne

I guess I can kind of relate to that. I was born the same year Led Zeppelin 1 came out. But I recall in the late '80's, how most of my friends loved them, and all of what we thought of then as "classic rock". My first exposure to rock music, was in third grade, seeing kids wearing KISS t-shirts...1977.

What blows my mind, is that even 5 or 8 years ago, Pearl Jam and Nirvana were already being thought of as "classic rock". Other "pop rock" bands like Matchbox 20 from the late 1990's, that I kind of liked...have now apparently been forgotten by everyone. Even bands from post 2000 such as Coldplay, that I also pretty much like...seem to be in the process of being forgotten (especially here in America).

But I say, don't just smile at a kid who appreciates the music of the era of your own youth, or anyone else who reads this. Speak to them about it a bit. Tell them how cool it was to see them in concert. I recall enjoying the gaping mouths from younger people, even from over 10 years ago...when I told them I saw all the hair bands back in the day...and especially something like seeing the original Guns n' Roses, OPEN for Motley Crue on the "girls girls girls" tour in late 1987...itself named after the Elvis movie (that almost nobody my age at the time knew about)!

Did you see the Ted Nugent episode recently on "That Metal Show", on VH1 classic? Watch it, it's hilarious and entertaining as can be! (He didn't even get into politics, which was good...he does plenty of that elsewhere...not that I disagree with him at all though...haha). The guy is 65 years old and still has a lightning fast sense of humor, along with the energy and ability he had when I first saw him live in 1991, with "Damn Yankees"...and that was well over a decade after he first became a really big deal (as you know). On the show, he spent a good 15 minutes giving his rock and blues heroes their due, and telling how he played with them. He seems to do this every time he's interviewed somewhere. When he said one of his favorite new artists is Bruno Mars...I can kind of see why in a way (it reminds him of Motown of his youth). But frankly though, in 2030, nobody will remember Bruno. They'll all be learning "stranglehold" on guitars, though! And they'll be dreaming about "sweet poontang"!! hahaha...it's down here in Nashville, according to Uncle Ted!

Oh, and I almost forgot, if you haven't seen it yet, seek out the interview on David Letterman from a year or more ago, when he had Plant, Page, and Jones on. He asked Jones something like, "back in the old days when you guys had made it, how do you think you compared to your peers?" And Jones kind of softly but quickly snaps back "that's assuming there were peers"...!! Plant laughed and said something like "that's why we don't usually let him talk".

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I don't necessarily think music has gone downhill. Rather, there is just a greater quantity of music, so there is more to sift through.

Just like having 1000 cable channels with 24/7 content necessarily reduces the hit rate of good programming, having a million new musical "artists" every year means good music is harder to find. I suppose the same is true for photography.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
I don't necessarily think music has gone downhill. Rather, there is just a greater quantity of music, so there is more to sift through.

Just like having 1000 cable channels with 24/7 content necessarily reduces the hit rate of good programming, having a million new musical "artists" every year means good music is harder to find. I suppose the same is true for photography.

not to mention the flood of garbage cookie cutter singer/ talent shows that churn out the most unbelievable drivel
never overestimate the intelligence of the general population...

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
The abundant amount of information makes it difficult to achieve what we truly seek. Yes , today the Internet allows access to artworks that were formerly available only in museums . I can hear some music CD that I only find in specialty stores , and it is wonderful . The problem is that the supposed " democratization" of information tries to force us to consume what millions of people enjoy. Viral Videos on Youtube are a disguised advertising. Facebook is a haven for exhibitionists , with photographs of their ghastly poses , stretching his arm with a smartphone to show " friends " what you had for lunch or what defecated in the bathroom . I think the best word is not democratization , but trivialization of information .

If anyone is on line in various "social networks", it will receive dozens of photos (bad), you will hear many songs (bad) and assist countless videos without important content. How these people get attention? Well, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and other "artists" recreate your image continuously to remain attractive to the crowds. In this sense, the academic art looks unattractive, and "conceptual art" try amazed aesthetic aberrations (dress made of meat?). Instagram's filters give the illusion that any fotogafia becomes work of art through software, and computer screens or smartphones are the only means of end almost all photos taken today.

There will always be good singers, photographers, painters, but they achieve visibility amidst the ocean of garbage trying to steal our attention?

Upvote 0