400 f/2.8L II IS on sunny days and white jerseys

Jackson_Bill said:
As someone else mentioned - that's a thin line of focus, too. On a sunny day you should be able to get away with a higher f-stop.

The point of owning and shooting a 400 2.8 is to shoot it at 2.8... yes, you CAN get away with a greater depth of field in daylight... but that's defeating the purpose of shooting sports with long fast glass. There's good reason to have shallow depth of field shooting sports (and a whole heap of other things as well...).

Keep us posted what Canon offers in the way of info. :)

Upvote 0
Received the lens from Canon today and..........................

The paperwork states the following:

Your product has been examined and it was found that the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect causing inaccurate focus. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly. Product functions were confirmed.

???

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
bdunbar79 said:
Received the lens from Canon today and..........................

The paperwork states the following:

Your product has been examined and it was found that the adjustment of the AF assembly was incorrect causing inaccurate focus. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the AF assembly. Product functions were confirmed.

???

let us know how it turns out after Canon service

Upvote 0
Well, to be honest with you guys, I'm not sure. I haven't had any events where I've needed it yet :-[

On the other hand I have a later development. I noticed with the SAME camera my 70-200 f/2.8L II IS lens has been front-focusing in basketball. Could be a problem with the camera and that is on its way to Canon.

I shot some night soccer with the 400 lens after I got it back and it worked fine; had no focus errors but that wasn't in bright sunny light where I had had trouble.

Now though, it could have been the camera all along. We'll see, the story continues.

By the way, I have a 2nd 1Dx where I keep the other lens but upon trying both cameras, the front-focusing problems have all been on the one particular camera.

Upvote 0