40mm 2.8 backfocus on 60D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2011
Just want to see if this was/is an issue with anyone using this lens on a 60D...

I sent the first 40 back because of EXTREME backfocus. The next one I got seemed to be ok at first (at the time I got it), but now I notice it backfocusing again. It seems to be more or less fine near MFD, but as I get farther away from the subject, the further off the focus is. It's not as bad as the first one but it's still enough to get OOF shots at 2.8. Even at 5.6 it is noticeable because the sharpest point of the picture is still behind the selected focus point, giving the picture a softer look...

A bit frustrating...as the 60D does not have an AFMA/autofocus correction function, I've had to figure out other ways to compensate for this unfortunate phenomenon. I've had on/off success with turning the lens focus ring clockwise a bit after focus, before taking the shot...but it is really tough to manual focus with the 60D especially from a distance. The other option is to use Live view mode for critical shots...but it can be slooooow (if not nonfunctional) in low light.

I've also got a 5D but this lens is really for the 60D as a travel combo. thoughts?

Jul 21, 2010
Act444 said:
All other lenses focus fine, though. (I have had occasional issues with backfocus on the 17-55mm 2.8, but I don't have that lens any more) I recently tested the new 24-70 2.8 II lens on it and there was no problem...

AF issues like that are usually a combo of body and lens. FWIW, my 40/2.8 needs -1 AFMA on my 1D X.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.