46.1mp Canon DSLR Previewed at PhotoPlus 2012? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2011
dreidesq said:
As this is a rumour site. I've just heard that the rumoured Canon 3DX is actually going to be called a 0DX which tops the 1DX.

It's going to be a 100mp "ultra" medium format camera, it's going to have 32 bits of colour rendition and a full 24 steps of dynamic range. It will fit FD, EF and EFs, Nikon, Sony, Leica and Hasselblad lenses and will have 292 areas of AF focus points.

It will have thunderbolt, Firewire 800 and USB3/4/5 built in for future compatibility.
It will also have GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi built in and will have the ability to make phone calls. It will even call you when the battery gets below 10% and recharge itself with gravity induction from the moon at night.

The price point of this little 5oz marvel will be £1000 with a £300 rebate from any Comet store. You'll get a free cinema ticket to the new Disney Star Wars movie too. Coming in December 2012-2022ish.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Considering that Comet are due to go into Administration, take this rumour with a Pillar of Salt

Upvote 0
dreidesq said:
Yep the mega pixel camera is just around the corner. Tomorrow in fact!

They built it specifically for the new lens cap. LOL.

Gotta love Canon, they've got their priorities right.

Take one look at ebay, craigslist, gumtree or most classified ads.
What cameras are being sold? Canons and Canon lenses. I wonder why? Nikon started something.

Never been a better time to buy Canon gear secondhand.
Just like Paul Revere..."The Megapixels are coming!" ;D

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
thexfile said:
dreidesq said:
Yep the mega pixel camera is just around the corner. Tomorrow in fact!

They built it specifically for the new lens cap. LOL.

Gotta love Canon, they've got their priorities right.

Take one look at ebay, craigslist, gumtree or most classified ads.
What cameras are being sold? Canons and Canon lenses. I wonder why? Nikon started something.

Never been a better time to buy Canon gear secondhand.
Just like Paul Revere..."The Megapixels are coming!" ;D
But when? You should be posting this message just as the shipments are nearing the port... ;)

Upvote 0
When Nikon had a 12 megapixel flagship they tried to convince us that is all low light shooters should need, now we have a d800 which is a very very specific camera and the world is convinced we need megapixels on a level that would require special lenses perfect technique, tripods and a computer more expensive than our gear to process and store all those insanly huge images. In my humble opinion 21 megapixels is a pretty sweet spot for dslr.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
jukka said:
I love to have 225Mp , no AA-filter and chose the files size out via pixel binning down to 14Mp
I hope you are young so as to live to see and enjoy that :)

It is not as if they can't because I believe that if they wanted to they could achieve that in reasonable time.

I believe they postpone progress as much as they can to milk as much money as possible (Just my opinion, I cannot have proof of course).

Upvote 0
tron said:
I believe they postpone progress as much as they can to milk as much money as possible (Just my opinion, I cannot have proof of course).

Mmmh, I don't think milking customers to hold back on technology is such a big issue here. In other industries I see this as a valid strategy, but not in our current camera market. There is just not enough pressure on R&D to make bigger leaps. That's all.

We can thank Canon, Sony and Nikon for their competition, because this is what primarily drives this market forward. It would actually be dreadful for Canon or one of the others to provide a camera, which is so good, that nobody would want to upgrade in the next decades. Just look at Leica as an example on how to do things wrong.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
AmbientLight said:
tron said:

Mmmh, I don't think milking customers to hold back on technology is such a big issue here. In other industries I see this as a valid strategy, but not in our current camera market. There is just not enough pressure on R&D to make bigger leaps. That's all.

We can thank Canon, Sony and Nikon for their competition, because this is what primarily drives this market forward. It would actually be dreadful for Canon or one of the others to provide a camera, which is so good, that nobody would want to upgrade in the next decades. Just look at Leica as an example on how to do things wrong.
I am not sure. Leica needs better sensor too...

Upvote 0
tron said:

Actually my point with Leica was not the sensor, but falling behind in camera sales due to ignoring the competition at a time, when the company felt technologically superior. This happened at the time of the Leica M3, when Nikon came out with the Nikon F and Canon also began producing SLR cameras. Leica was so late to the SLR market that they never gained significant market share.

My point is that if a company has little or only partial market share, then it will thrive to gain market share, no matter how. This will likely bring out the best, but this won't happen in case a company is too self-satisfied.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
jukka said:
Leica's profitability is good (what I understand)

Yes, it is, AFAIK. They are actually owned by Danaher, a conglomerate that is in the business of buying other companies, and divesting them if they become unprofitable.

Leica Microsystems is a sub of Danaher and the Leica brand owner, but Leica Camera is a separate company. I thought I'd clarify this before Mikael picks up on it.

Edit: Did I say Mikael? I keep doing that! Sorry, I meant jukka. ;)

Upvote 0
AmbientLight said:
tron said:

Actually my point with Leica was not the sensor, but falling behind in camera sales due to ignoring the competition at a time, when the company felt technologically superior. This happened at the time of the Leica M3, when Nikon came out with the Nikon F and Canon also began producing SLR cameras. Leica was so late to the SLR market that they never gained significant market share.

My point is that if a company has little or only partial market share, then it will thrive to gain market share, no matter how. This will likely bring out the best, but this won't happen in case a company is too self-satisfied.

Ah, Leica.... The Nakamichi of the Camera World. :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.