46MP body rumor is hoax?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
plam_1980 said:
I don't know if this was already posted somewhere in the thread for the 46MP body, but obviously the "rumour" on Fred Miranda's blog about this body, which started the hype was either crazy or a hoax:

http://photographicwanderings.com/2014/10/02/news-46mp-megapixel-canon-1dsx-dslr-about-to-be-announced-or-the-anatomy-of-a-rumor/
*lol*
Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
Maximilian said:
plam_1980 said:
I don't know if this was already posted somewhere in the thread for the 46MP body, but obviously the "rumour" on Fred Miranda's blog about this body, which started the hype was either crazy or a hoax:

http://photographicwanderings.com/2014/10/02/news-46mp-megapixel-canon-1dsx-dslr-about-to-be-announced-or-the-anatomy-of-a-rumor/
*lol*
Thanks for sharing.
+1 Brought a smile to my face, that's worthy of thanks. :)

Upvote 0
lintoni said:
Maximilian said:
plam_1980 said:

*lol*
Thanks for sharing.

Yes, on mine as well :) Next time we better ask George W. Bush directly, if he has a report for a forthcoming Canon product :) You can't blame the guy actually, he said that this is his prediction and everyone thought that this is some elaborate way to say "inside information", because this is what everyone wished for :) Of course the fact that Fred Miranda himself said that "he trusts this guy" helped a lot. Which in itslelf raises a lot of questions regarding ethics etc.

P.S. when I watch that photo, I can't help but think of Twin Peaks - "The owls are not what they seem" ;D

Upvote 0
Now that's a great revelation :D
Even better than just a plain "I made it all up" confession.

But that's what a rumour site like CR is all about... some hoaxes, some actual information and a lot of users with a living imagination.

The little bit unsettling thing is, that this story might be seen as a parable about how "news" or "facts" spread over the world and are even being cited by big media companies without thorough checks.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
lintoni said:
Maximilian said:
plam_1980 said:

*lol*
Thanks for sharing.
Good stuff!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The problem with publishing leaks and rumors is that Canon changes announcement plans and dates whenever they want.

Thus, a new product may have been tentatively planned, or maybe it was just another test camera that someone thought would be released.

In any event, it was published and linked to by CR some times ago, and was pretty much discounted, since other knowledgeable sources had no information.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The reality with 46 mp on FF is that you are only gaining potential resolution via more pixels. The magnification and light gathering is still limited to the FF format size. It takes takes resolving power of the lens to use those extra pixel densities, and magnification on FF isn't that high.

This is why people are not seeing the benefit of real extra 'reach' on the crop sensors, or at least nothing like they would expect when comparing up sampled central 8 mp from the FF and 18 from the whole of the crop sensor.

In practice you don't just need more pixels for more resolution; you need magnification and light as well. The crop sensor gives you the extra pixels but no more magnification and light than the FF sensor cropped to APS.

In just the same way you can up sample the image without losing anything like you would expect so you can do the same with a 23 mp FF sensor against a 36 or 46 or whatever FF sensor. You can also run into the issues of smaller pixels receiving less individual light and less saturation etc.

I'm sure the reason why Canon haven't yet introduced a 'very high' mp FF sensor is that in reality there just isn't much point to it.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Sporgon said:
The reality with 46 mp on FF is that you are only gaining potential resolution via more pixels. The magnification and light gathering is still limited to the FF format size. It takes takes resolving power of the lens to use those extra pixel densities, and magnification on FF isn't that high.

This is why people are not seeing the benefit of real extra 'reach' on the crop sensors, or at least nothing like they would expect when comparing up sampled central 8 mp from the FF and 18 from the whole of the crop sensor.

In practice you don't just need more pixels for more resolution; you need magnification and light as well. The crop sensor gives you the extra pixels but no more magnification and light than the FF sensor cropped to APS.

In just the same way you can up sample the image without losing anything like you would expect so you can do the same with a 23 mp FF sensor against a 36 or 46 or whatever FF sensor. You can also run into the issues of smaller pixels receiving less individual light and less saturation etc.

I'm sure the reason why Canon haven't yet introduced a 'very high' mp FF sensor is that in reality there just isn't much point to it.
Nice analysis. I do hope that Canon will stick to 22Mp sensor and improve it in terms of High and Low ISO noise (one can always hope...)

Upvote 0