470EX-AI Problem confirmation

Hi, I'm getting bargain deal of 470EX-AI on amazon india without warranty. But one of the buyer posted following review... can you guys confirm what he have said is correct//wrong?
DOWNER: I wouldn't use this flash for outdoors, fill-in....and other functions. I would go for other flashes like the 430mkII or 600RT or the 580.

I feel that Canon designed the "rotating flash" as a single-type-of-use; which is BOUNCE FLASH.

It's not all that special as a MULTI-PURPOSE FLASH.

For bouncing, it's great, but it goes off track when working in a "multi-coloured-walls" room. It goes crazily wild trying to toss-up between a yellow/blue/ multi-coloured wall, even if the ceiling is all white. Weird behaviour.

I think the Mark II version of this camera will have the necessary corrections.

Conclusion: for now, it's good for white-walled rooms, and that's it.

From my experience, it usually picks the ceiling to bounce off of. You can also choose not to use the automatic rotation feature and set it to the angle you want... just like other flashes. And surprise, surprise, when I'm outside with no walls/ceiling it chooses to point the flash at the subject (no bounce).

I have multiple 600s, but for single flash out and about, I choose the 470. It is smaller and lighter, and the rotating head has cut down on the number of times I've switched camera orientations without adjusting the flash head (which leads to misfires into a wall).

Upvote 0